Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Iím faking my social media life/alcohol dependence for social life

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Austino96
    Iíve been focusing on social media and trying to show myself to be more of value. Itís almost to the point where I plan the end of my week to do things so I can show it on social media.
    Social media certainly serves a purpose but it is not a reflection of your genuine value as a human being at all whatsoever.

Something to think about: According to [Register to see the link] (I'm too lazy to find a better source right now.)
    As of April 2019, 56.1% of the world's population has internet access
    That means a whopping 43.9% aren't connected to the internet or are on social media at all. There is plenty of life happening outside the internet!

I encourage you to spend less time on social media and actually focus on enjoying life. Go surfing, go to the beach. Simply do it. Who cares what others think?!
    Last edited by greendots; 05-17-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks guys. All of you are right. Also the advice is golden. I did transfer a lot of hopes and stuff onto that girl. We donít talk anymore and Iíve left it alone.

Itís so hard for me to find worth in myself without other peopleís praise. I do know that itís a recipe for disaster and sadness living that way.

I have guy friends but none of them really do anything. I find myself really wanting to get out there and do things. I want to make new friends but the prospect of doing it alone is kinda scary. Itís like Iím outgrowing them. But I just wish theyíd be more out there.

I like going to to clubs and bars not just to talk to girls because I actually like doing it. Having no one to go with kinda sucks tho. I did do it in Europe by myself which makes me feel like I can make new friends if I move or get more free time away from work. College/new city ext.

Thereís times where I donít even know what will make me happy. Iím constantly trying to fight my thoughts and change how I see myself.

I just feel so low like Iím nothing. Iím about to be 23 and the fact that I still struggle like a teenager bothers me so much. More than ever I have that need to figure out my life.

I live in a small town not a lot of opportunities or things to do. What attracted me to that girl was the fact that she was from LA. On her social media sheís posting things with friends and living her life(what it seems). She has a great job and seemed to be cool at least. The fact we were both on vacation romanticized it and made it more special than what it actually was.

I want that, I want to live in a place like that. Have cool friends who wants to spend time with me. Like I donít have a close friend all my buddies are caught up with there on problems.

One thing I respect about my ex the most is that she had the balls to be happy. She wasnít happy with me and she chose to move out with her parents and go after the things she wanted.
    I find myself wondering a lot now will I ever find someone who wants me for me and not stuff or lifestyle I might live. Even now itís still weird thinking about me and her. She was right tho.

I need counseling but Iím not willing atm to pay the money I was paying for it a couple months ago. Plus the lady I was seeing wasnít to great.
    Small town not a lot of options for counseling. Plus Iím saving money to move to a city.

Just got hard rejected by a girl I went on a date with. Straight said no sheís not interested in seeing me again. Im like damn that stings. Wouldnít it be nice if we could remove our egos. Apparently itís because of how I came off asking her out. She wasnít dateble but I still liked her on a sexual basis. Ego -1

Iím gonna take the risk and move to a city. Iím gonna be alone unless I can convince one of my friends to come along. Iím gonna do this before going to college(Iím still gonna go regardless I just want to see if I can make it doing online college in a new city).

I just worry about making new friends and putting myself out there to maybe find a nice girl. I hear all the time that you got to take risk. I think I need to do this. I want to do this.

I want to eat new food. Do new things have hobbies and be healthy. I want to have some money saved and live in an area with opportunities and good social life.

Iím attractive and I do have a good personality. Iím not negative. I like to have fun. Just sucks because I want to have someone who can appreciate those things. Social media makes me feel less like a good guy.

Have you tried Meetup? It's this thing where you list your location and all of the things you like doing, and it spits out groups you can join with other people that like the same things you like. I found a lot of friends in this way, and it ultimately lead me to my current partner, who was friends with the friends I made.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Austino96
    Just got hard rejected by a girl I went on a date with. Straight said no sheís not interested in seeing me again. Im like damn that stings. Wouldnít it be nice if we could remove our egos. Apparently itís because of how I came off asking her out. She wasnít dateble but I still liked her on a sexual basis. Ego -1

Iím gonna take the risk and move to a city. Iím gonna be alone unless I can convince one of my friends to come along. Iím gonna do this before going to college(Iím still gonna go regardless I just want to see if I can make it doing online college in a new city).

I just worry about making new friends and putting myself out there to maybe find a nice girl. I hear all the time that you got to take risk. I think I need to do this. I want to do this.

I want to eat new food. Do new things have hobbies and be healthy. I want to have some money saved and live in an area with opportunities and good social life.

Iím attractive and I do have a good personality. Iím not negative. I like to have fun. Just sucks because I want to have someone who can appreciate those things. Social media makes me feel less like a good guy.
    Um. That's called dating. Reject the ones that reject you.

It doesn't sound like there is anything especially bad about you. You sound fine. You are a good guy. Not every interaction is going to turn out in your favor.

Stop worrying and go out and start living. Some things are going to hurt, but if you go hide every time something stings how can you move forward. I expect you to leave your 20s full of bruises and healed broken bones like the rest of us.

Don't get a life so you can get a girl though. Get a life so you can have a life. You just think it should be about the girl because of your past experiences and all of the messages that trump up a relationship as everything.

Bronze Member
    Austino, in addition to what WithLove suggested there's volunteering, signing up for a class, open mic night (music, poetry, storytelling), etc. Oh, I've heard of an app that is meant to help you find compatible friends. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name. Maybe someone else knows about this. Anyhow, just one suggestion: be patient as some people may not be your cup of tea. It's okay to switch activities until you find people that you mesh with.

Also, don't worry about having everything figured out right now. It's good to have a road map whilst remaining flexible as you never know where life will take you. Sometimes, life takes you places you never expected.

Lastly, who cares about the Joneses on social media. Nothing good comes from keeping up with the Joneses. It's your journey and you're cool like Frank at the Sands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice