Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Going on Mediterranean cruise for 12 days.. travel tips?

JA0371

Hi all!! I’m so excited! I just got my first passport so I finally feel like a “real” adult lol.

I’m cruising for 12 days stopping in Spain, Italy and Greece. I do fly into London for two days then to Barcelona. I’ve gotten some advice on things to bring etc but I’m down for suggestions on places to visit while in London and how to dress in May... thank you!! 😁

Lucky you!!! London in May will be glorious! Should be good weather but do have something warm to wear just in case. Ride the London Eye, take the HOHO bus, that means Hop On Hop Off, the ticket lets you get on and off the bus when you want so you can look around the city. I hate cities in general but I do love London!

Hit the pubs for great food, beer if you are old enough. Go to Harrod's for a look around See Buckingham Palace, the changing of the guards is great to see. Check out Big Ben and Weatminster Abbey. Oh I want to go there again :-)

If you can catch a musical show at the West End or at other venues, I'd recommend that. I saw Billy Elliot there and it was an extraordinary production. I loved the tour of the Tower of London. Buy some fish and chips from a street vendor.

Westminster Abbey, Parliament, The National Gallery and The Tate.

Be sure to get some scones with clotted cream and jam. Spotted is wonderful for dessert. I would also do an afternoon tea at a high-end hotel.

Just check weather.com for the weather.

2 days in London just isn't enough :)

But yes, the museums, Madame Tussauds and a great attraction near the London Eye is the London Dungeon. Real Fun! England can be cold at the best of times so definitely take a jumper...or 2.

Barcelona hosts La Ramblas and the Gaudi Park.....

Have a great trip. Safe Travels.

Carus*

Buy something in Harrods. Not because you need it but because the environmental friendly re use bags are too good!

As for weather, it’s all about layers.

The weather is unpredictable in May so yes bring jeans but wear about 3 layers on top so you can peel off an re add as necessary.

The weather in May can be unpredictable in the other areas you are travelling to as well. It’s late spring and can be warm in the day but chilly at night. So the layering thing works well there too.

Have a great trip!

Westminster Abbey, Parliament, The National Gallery and The Tate.

Be sure to get some scones with clotted cream and jam. Spotted is wonderful for dessert. I would also do an afternoon tea at a high-end hotel.

Just check weather.com for the weather.

Should have said Spotted .b Why doesn't this site allow the name Di*k.

Travel light and beware of pickpockets and purse snatchers. Dress in layers.

If you wear a backpack, wear it in the front of your body especially in crowded places. Also, keep in mind, thieves can slice the bottom of your purse and steal your wallet and cell phone. Or reach in and grab from the top or unzip anything. Never hang your purse or valuables on the back of a chair or put it next to you on a bench. It's so easy to snatch and run away. Or, they'll distract you, ask you questions, chat with you while they cover their arm with a coat and steal your wallet, cell phone, etc. They do this trick if you leave it on a cafe or restaurant table, too. There are all sorts of tricks to their trade. Or, they'll ask you for the time and steal your cell phone. Or, they'll grab and steal it if you're busy looking down at your cell phone while you're walking. Never ask a stranger to take your photo otherwise you could risk becoming a victim of theft. Wear a waist purse. Zip everything up securely always. Don't dangle anything on your shoulder because it's easy to cut the strap and runaway with your purse. Thieves are pros and never make yourself an easy target. Never let your guard down. This is the world we live in and they love to target distracted tourists.

My friend was taking a photo of architecture while a thief rummaged through her crossbody at the same time! Thieves are savvy and fast.

Hi everyone! I’m in London now!, it is absolutely amazing!! The weather was a little chilly but sunny and beautiful! I did the London Tower Bridge tour and a off and on bus tour! People here are quite like I expected... very businesslike and not very warm and fuzzy... lol😂 why are they soooo serious? I leave tomorrow for my cruise but will return for a day while I fly back home. Thinking of doing another train ride into London.in in Gastwick now.

I have tons of pics and will share them with you all when I am able to load them on this device. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Beware of pickpockets. Secure your belongings. In crowded places, wear your backpack in the front. Don't wear dangling bags with zippers. My friend was taking a photo and a thief was rummaging through her bag trying to steal from her. Beware of theft always. Never be an easy target. Don't leave her purse dangling on the back of a chair while dining. Always have it strapped to you or wear a belt bag. Always remain vigilant. My friend's cell phone and wallet were stolen at an airport recently. Don't leave your cell phone or valuables on a table. A trick is someone asking you for directions, placing a map on top of your cell phone and stealing it. Or, they'll carry a coat, hide their hand and steal your wallet, cell phone and / or purse and you can't see thievery in action. These are professional thieves.

Archived