It pays more than a dental assistant. I think it's worth it. They make good money. You'll be more marketable if you're a dental hygienist for adults, too.

Drawbacks are neck pain. My friend is a dental hygienist and she often complains about her aching neck, shoulders, nerve pain in her arms and sore back because you're bent over into a patient's mouth. It's the nature of the job.

What's "worth it" is purely subjective. Strictly in terms of hourly wages, I believe it's generally more of the decent ~2 year programs to invest in, though you'll probably need other certifications as well. Speaking personally, while I definitely don't have perfect teeth, I've seen some nasty, nasty mouths I would not want my profession centered around taking care of. So many people spit in the Army that I know for a fact that first patient of the sort would have me cleaning out my desk. Not sure how you jump from child tutor to this, though.

Check out local schools, colleges and universities who offer the program. Make an appointment to talk to an admissions representative about the profession, training, tuition, etc. That's the only way to make an informed choice. Research dental hygienist professional sites and read up on it.

Also, you may want to give more credit to some of these professions you're considering as a "backup career." Applying to a dentist's office however many years after your associates and certifications simply because your "primary career" doesn't work out probably wouldn't go the way you imagine it would. You'd most likely be better off expanding your skillset within the purview or peripheries of your actual career 1) to futureproof your position and, should your luck come crashing town, 2) to be ready for a hopefully lateral move to a different but relevant enough field.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived