Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very annoyed with my mom

Bronze Member

Very annoyed with my mom

Iím very annoyed with my mom. It seems like she depends on me for everything. Iím 30 years old and work for my stuff and the thing that sucks is I still live at home with her and my siblings but my siblings always go out with friends or go to work and school.

I work a full time job but I want to go back to school to get a degree and get a paying better job since my trade is average in pay and I want to move out and at least rent an apartment so I can have my freedom. Iím paying her about 700 dollars a month in rent. Studios and one bedroom apartments in my area are $1600-$1700

I donít mind helping my mom out but she asks for too much and if I donít do it I feel like a bad son.

Things she would ask me:

Bring her to places even though the place is only 5 minutes away from the house and she even expects this on my Days off but I refuse cause I want my own time

Get her gas

Take out the trash etc.

Pack her meal for work and walk her to her car at night since sheís scared some stranger will come up to her

Today she wanted me to accompany her to bring her car to the mechanic and get a car rental after. I just felt awkward cause everyone at the rental place were all married couples with kids and here I am the 30 year old with his mom. How do I deal with this guys? I feel embarrassed whenever Iím with her alone. She still has my dad but he works 7 days a week.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I would suggest moving out. If you find life and helping your mom out embarrassing move out and pay for your life.

Platinum Member
    I do not find her requests unreasonable. You sound a bit ungrateful and whiny.

Why haven't you furthered your education and pursued a better job. You are the only one holding yourself back. Get motivated and grow up!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I agree her requests are not abnormal or excessive . If I couldíve only paid $700 at 30 years old I wouldíve think Iíd died and gone to heaven . I was already a parent at 30 years old .

I would say move out and fend for yourself .

Platinum Member
    you *should* take out the trash. You live there!

Today she wanted me to accompany her to bring her car to the mechanic and get a car rental after

Drive her to get her rental car. If you needed a ride to the airport or needed to be dropped off to pick up a car - she would do it for you. Is she expected to call someone who doesn't live with her?

If you don't want to help your mom out, be like your siblings and make plans for yourself, but taking out the trash and dropping her off to get a rental car (i am sure her car doesn't need to be fixed every month) you should do without pulling a fit. She is your mother. Those two asks are not outrageous.

Making her lunch would be a nice thing to do for her, considering you are not even paying half of market value to live somewhere, but if you don't want to, don't. But you might later on wish you ha spent the time someday when your mom is gone.

Platinum Member
    My advice is to help your mum as much as you can; how awful would you feel if you refused or had attitude, and she suddenly fell to her death one day, unexpectedly without warning,

That's literally what happened to my dad in 2014, one day he was fine, next day he fell, and was dead within 3 days. Bleeding in the brain.

I don't mean to sound morbid but such things do happen, and you will forever regret complaining and whining about your mom who isn't asking too much at all. Geez.

As for being embarrassed to be seen w her, it's the exact opposite.

People will admire you and think what a caring awesome son you are for taking the time to help his mum.

That is a fact!

Her requests are reasonable. If you donít want to, then grow up and pay for your own apartment.

Platinum Member
    btw, i can see being embarrassed by your mom being around when you are 14 -- but you are 30 now. How people see you treat your mom - especially if you are looking for someone to date - has a big impact. If you have your own life but show her common courtesy and care it will give you a clue how they will be treated

Absolutely. I was attracted to my husband because he treated his mother well. Always look at how a man treats his female family members.
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    btw, i can see being embarrassed by your mom being around when you are 14 -- but you are 30 now. How people see you treat your mom - especially if you are looking for someone to date - has a big impact. If you have your own life but show her common courtesy and care it will give you a clue how they will be treated

You sound whiny.

She's your mother. She raised you. Show your gratitude. You will outlive her and someday you'll miss her terribly. You'll harbor a world of regrets and remorse. Someday, you'll say to yourself, "I should've. I would've. I could've."

Drive her even if it's 5 minutes away from home, get her gas, take out the trash and for God sake's be a man and walk your mother to her car to ensure her safety like a good son should! Show respect. Don't be one of those men who disrespect women. We have enough of those jerks in this world already so don't become one of them!

Don't be self conscious when helping your mother in public. I admire men who are good to their mothers because it signifies empathy and compassion which are priceless moral character traits.

If you're unhappy, get a roommate or roommates to share the rent money every month.

A one bedroom apartment in a nice, safe area of my city costs $3400. per month so consider yourself very fortunate. You're getting a steal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice