LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very annoyed with my mom

Originally Posted by katrina1980
    My advice is to help your mum as much as you can; how awful would you feel if you refused or had attitude, and she suddenly fell to her death one day, unexpectedly without warning,

That's literally what happened to my dad in 2014, one day he was fine, next day he fell, and was dead within 3 days. Bleeding in the brain.

I don't mean to sound morbid but such things do happen, and you will forever regret complaining and whining about your mom who isn't asking too much at all. Geez.

As for being embarrassed to be seen w her, it's the exact opposite.

People will admire you and think what a caring awesome son you are for taking the time to help his mum.

That is a fact!
    ^^ this
    when she's no longer here you will look back and feel embarrassed and guilty that you actually fretted over being seen with her at the car rental place.

That's just a little ridiculous
    (I have two sons your age)

I'm not going to tell you how odd you sound because it seems everyone has already done a fairly good job of that and I agree and you have agreed too, OP. I think all of that is on the surface level anyway.

The only thing left to say is that I hope things start to get better for you where you begin to feel better about yourself and your life and your job and where you're headed. This always has an overarching effect on how we treat others and how we interpret the world around us. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot really see or love or be present for others around us. That you're annoyed with your mum is natural is you aren't satisfied or happy with the way things are going on with yourself.

Find your self-confidence again and find joy in the little things. Start setting realistic goals for yourself and completing them. This will boost your confidence levels and self-esteem. You may not build Rome in a day but you might as well get a head start. Stay positive about yourself and try enjoying your life a bit more. If you're feeling burnt out from your commitments, dedicate a day or half a day just to yourself to unwind and do whatever you please. Learn more about yourself and develop techniques and tricks to keep you engaged. I hope you feel better soon.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    You are not living the life you wanted, due to your own inaction. At 30, you should not be living with mommy.

Instead of taking the family for a vacation, why don't you focus on getting out of the house and saving for a home. You do not sound very responsible and mature for your age.

Have you considered returning to school?
    Yeah Iíll Have to agree with you. I found a school but the tuition is going to set me back $80k and thatís going into the medical field. Iím already in debt which is the problem. My life is such a mess

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by WithLove
    Doing stuff for your mom is fine and expected because you live with her. If you can't afford a place on your own, can you try to find a roommate? Or find a place that rents rooms? You'd have more freedom, but don't think that those freedoms won't come with additional responsibilities!
    Yeah I can definitely find a roommate sharing a 2 bedroom apartment but from the search I pulled up, most of them want students or young professionals thatís already advancing in an educational field

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by JDMxTeGrA101
    Yeah I can definitely find a roommate sharing a 2 bedroom apartment but from the search I pulled up, most of them want students or young professionals thatís already advancing in an educational field
    That doesn't sound true. Yes, i can see where a college kid wants another student, but it seems fishy that people only want people who are in the education field. Look at people subletting (they are a grad student and need someone to take over their lease for the summer) and use that reference to find something when its over, look at rooms for rent, studios. or advertise for a roommate and state that you will look for a apartment together. Also "young professional" is usually code for someone with a steady job that does not want to use the apartment as a party pad. also don't just move out hastily, find a place that is closer to work or otherwise offers advantages.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by JDMxTeGrA101
    That does not make sense. I can't believe you cannot find an apartment with roommates.

Why are you in such debt? What are your education goals? Where are you working now? How much education do you have?

It feels like you have recognised what others have pointed out but I will say this - in a way, your original post didnít surprise me as much as it did others because I feel that, when weíre living at home no matter what age, we can often slot back into a child role. It regresses us. Iím sure itís not true for everyone but Iíve seen it many times and I felt the frustration of that in your post. My experience comes from leaving home at around 19 but due to certain circumstances ended up living at home from my mid-twenties to about your age and, honestly, I became a child again and I didnít fully see it until I was back out living my own life.

Parents are hard at the best of times because what they say affects us as if we were still a child. So I concur with other people - do anything you can to find a way of moving out. Be your own person. Then love and support your mother but from the position of an adult. It can be hard depending on your situation (where I am, large numbers of people are still living at home well into their 30s due to rent prices) but itís really important to get out of the house.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice