Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very annoyed with my mom

I have to admit when first reading this I thought "is this for real?". I'm still not sure if this is a serious post. Leaves one speechless.

Agree. Cut the apron strings and get more independent of your mother. She is treating you like a surrogate spouse, very common in neurotic lonely mothers with no partner. Look into a house share and other more affordable living arrangements. Be prepared to take out the trash and do other chores/errands wherever you go, however you live and whoever you live with. There's no free lunch. This isn't so much about money it's about an unhealthy attachment to your mother.
    Originally Posted by JDMxTeGrA101
    I知 30 years old.I知 paying her about 700 dollars a month in rent.
    Take out the trash etc.

Platinum Member
    "I had to take out the trash". That is actually pretty funny! You are a 30-year-old man, you are talking about moving out. I have a news flash for you, when you move out, you have to do chores. If you live alone or with housemates, absolutely you would have to take out the trash, and do all the chores that need to be done - doing the dishes, cleaning, washing, etc. You live there, in a sense you are like a housemate, and you need to pull your weight around the house just like all people who live there. Just because it's your family do you expect other people to always clean up after you?

"I'm embarrassed to be seen with her". Um, why? Does she have any physical deformities or does she act embarrassing in public? What is so embarrassing to be out and about with your mother? Isn't it normal to spend time with your parents? I go out with my Mum on a regular basis - coffee, movies, shopping, art gallery, etc. You shouldn't be embarrassed of your parents, unless they are actually doing something legitimately embarrassing.

The life you have you have created for yourself. If you want a different life then you'll have to go back to study as you said and pursue your goals. It's not your parents' fault that you can't afford to move out or that you were in that mechanic shop with your Mum and not your wife. You sound immature.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Capricorn3
    I have to admit when first reading this I thought "is this for real?". I'm still not sure if this is a serious post. Leaves one speechless.
    So much entitlement!

Bronze Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, I realized how dumb I am. This is my mother after all and I do love her but I do feel like she痴 treating me like her spouse. I just feel like I知 not living the life I want at my age. By this time I would致e thought I壇 have a wife and family of my own now living at my own house but I feel like I知 living like a 21 year old.

I definitely have to fix all this. I know if I do better financially, I値l have a better relationship with my mom. I dreamed of taking her, my dad, and my siblings out to vacations when I got a better paying job.

Gold Member
    Focus on the basics. You are 30 and living with the fam. Time to spread your wings little birdie.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I agree spending too much time being comfortable until you reach a magic goal doesn稚 work. Nothing like HAVING to rely solely on yourself for your survival makes you grow up and be thankful.

Waiting until you reach the magical six figure income is folly . Not everyone makes it there in fact most don稚. You need to grow and make it on your own. And you can稚 do that sitting with mom. Get out there and struggle like everyone else.

1. Find an apartment .

Platinum Member
    You are not living the life you wanted, due to your own inaction. At 30, you should not be living with mommy.

Instead of taking the family for a vacation, why don't you focus on getting out of the house and saving for a home. You do not sound very responsible and mature for your age.

Have you considered returning to school?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by JDMxTeGrA101
    Thanks for the replies guys, I realized how dumb I am. This is my mother after all and I do love her but I do feel like she痴 treating me like her spouse. I just feel like I知 not living the life I want at my age. By this time I would致e thought I壇 have a wife and family of my own now living at my own house but I feel like I知 living like a 21 year old.

I definitely have to fix all this. I know if I do better financially, I値l have a better relationship with my mom. I dreamed of taking her, my dad, and my siblings out to vacations when I got a better paying job.
    Well -- you can't have a wife an family of your own unless you go out there and date.
    I am glad you see the light.
    My uncle still goes an cuts my grandmother's tiny lawn even though he doesn't live with her and either he or my mom drives her to doctors appointments where she will get her eyes dilated or otherwise shouldn't drive afterwards or is getting major news and needs support. That's what grownups do.

Doing stuff for your mom is fine and expected because you live with her. If you can't afford a place on your own, can you try to find a roommate? Or find a place that rents rooms? You'd have more freedom, but don't think that those freedoms won't come with additional responsibilities!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice