Need help finding my purpose!

alex17466

I’ve been trying to find myself, what I wanna do or not necessarily do like for a living but something that drives me and gives me a reason to get up. I’m not depressed or anything. Though I have hit depression cause of just things that happen in life. I’m just writing cause I’m trying to do new things in my life because I wanna grow to be better and hopefully this may lead me to what I’m looking for or at least close to it.

When I was going through a divorce and at my lowest, I was going to therapy and my therapist recommended I write a list of everything I ever wanted to do, or imagined.

The list was pretty long and when I went back and I considered each one, I was surprised that all of them were doable!

I felt so stuck at up until that point. But the only thing in my way .. was myself.

Write a list.

Finding a 'purpose' is a heavy goal. Start smaller. Monitor you daily intentions. Decide each morning what kind of day you intend to have. Find ways throughout your day to be kind to people.

Open your curiosity to explore new interests, research those over time, make lists so you don't need to 'hold' stuff in your mind. Learn where your interest point you and try them out. Consider groups like meetup.org, or classes or volunteer groups to join others with the same interests.

When I was going through a divorce and at my lowest, I was going to therapy and my therapist recommended I write a list of everything I ever wanted to do, or imagined.

The list was pretty long and when I went back and I considered each one, I was surprised that all of them were doable!

I felt so stuck at up until that point. But the only thing in my way .. was myself.

Write a list.

Wow! Thanks man that was really good advice I really appreciate it.

The great thing about life is we always have the opportunity to try new things and grow along the way. I know I'm not the same person I was even 5 years ago. Most people aren't lucky enough to find a job that is a passion and they love doing every day. But that doesn't mean that you can't find something you love and do that on the side. As far as figuring that thing out I've found it may be an easier than you think. Often when we have a talent or something that we are naturally good at that thing keeps coming into our lives over and over. Almost like a sign that says hello this is what you are supposed to be doing! Maybe it’s something with children, maybe it’s helping people, maybe it’s ... So, what is that thing for you? I hope you find joy in the journey of finding it!

Loving life doesn't have to mean finding that thing you feel passionate about. I love the idea of making a list of things you want to try and always rely on that.

But yeah take time to learn something new, explore hobbies and identify those things that make you excited and that you look forward to doing. Trust me, you won't find those things by thinking about it. You have to try new things and see what excites you.

Enjoy the journey of finding that passion. Life is meant to be enjoyed so even if you don't know what you are passionate about right now, have fun in the process of that discovery!

I’m in exactly the same boat - I’m 38,

I work from home, my friends don’t ever meet up as they have their own lives / families now

I don’t have enough going on in my life which means I sit in doors 24/7 with nothing to think about other than my ex who left me 8 months ago.

I’m depressed in a rut

I’ve realised I don’t have any goals or actually any real interests... so not sure how to pick myself up.

I force myself to the gym everyday - just to get out of the house for an hour.

I’m really stuck

Archived