To apologise or not apologise

I need help. I delegated a particular task to another staff member, the details aren't relevant besides the fact that I hadn't looked into what the task involved before delegating it. It related to something highly emotive and intensely personal, causing the staff member to leave the office in tears. This never happens in our line of work, this was an anomaly. I was obviously kicking myself for not checking what I'd given her first (which I always do but was busy on this occasion). She returned to the office apologetic, but it was me who was more affected the rest of the day, and I apologised of course. I really hit a nerve and feel awful. I know she has personal issues a lot, presumably not related to what the work entailed, but nonetheless I may have opened some wounds. My question is pretty simple: I *need* to make it clear how sorry I am and how bad I feel. It was reckless on my part not to hand that work out without a warning to its recipient and truth be told she could probably make a formal complaint. But I also don't want to bring it up again if she's tried hard to forget it and will become (at best) embarrassed if I do. At worst she'll break down or quit. I could make it worse by mentioning it. But I don't know that my apology was enough, it didnt feel like it was at the time (I was shell-shocked and probably seemed a bit emotionless) and to be honest for some reason it's still hanging over me and isn't going anywhere. It'll be 5 days after the event if I do bring it up again, or should I let it go and hope to hell she forgets the whole thing and knows how sorry I am?

I agree. I think some level of detail would be helpful? I am trying to imagine the worst possible scenario... maybe you are a police officer and it was a violent horrific crime?

Also - is she a subordinate? Or are you equals? Is there a professional expectation that you handle certain things yourself? Shouldn’t everyone be able to do the job?

Since we are low on details, my advice would be to talk to HR. Just be frank - you made a mistake (we all sometimes make mistakes) and you feel horrible about it. Ask what they think you should do. Then you are also covering yourself if there ever is a complaint...

The situation seems a bit over the top. We don't know the details but you're not managing your emotions properly as a manager or supervisor. I'd suggest you look into available seminars or courses on communication and leadership. Please don't beat yourself up about your mistake and do not undermine your work or your efforts in the team or with your delegates over one matter. If you have a serious concern about any complaints against you, go directly to HR or your own boss and report the error in confidence. Ask for some guidance on the matter if you have to but I'd caution you to handle this on your own first and put things in perspective.

Archived