Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Still hate my job i started in january thinking about going part time

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    106
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    Have you decided on an area of interest though?(schooling)
    im not too sure yet tbh. for stuff id actually love to do my grades back in school were too bad. i made many mistakes in my life, my laziness brought me here and now im here to whine about it. at this point id try to go in a direction of an office job with minimal customer contact. i dont have big dreams or anything. working infront of a computer doing my thing would be all id want. basically what im doing now but without having to deal with all these people.

    Originally Posted by melancholy123
    Can you afford to live on part time money? If you can, find that part time job first then leave your current job so there's no gap in pay. You obviously dont like your job so work on getting another one.
    i could, yes. i dont want to get into the whole situation and what brought me to this point in the last 7 months. but i could theoretically live off of that part time. im thinking part time because its hard to get something fulltime with my current qualifications. im too unfit for any job that requires lots of manual labor, which is very visible to say the least. so even if i tried noone would hire me for a job on your feet for most of the day.


    as mentioned before i have to change my mindset on this, i just dont know how to do it. how do i go from: "i hate this" to "its not that bad" to "i dont mind this" is the question for me. i will be looking for a new job, its just hard to find anything. being badly qualified and morbidly obese is not an easy combination. Latter means i cannot do many types of jobs physically but also that people probably dont want to put me into positions where im seen by customers and the like.

    idk if you happen to have ideas for jobs that dont ask for high qualifications, just throw them my way. im mostly trying to find jobs that i can actually look for.

  2. #12
    Silver Member SarahLancaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    342
    Gender
    Female
    Janitor. Fast food restaurant. Toll Booth Operator.

    Or take a civil service test and you could get a government job.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    106
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    I suppose in many professions it is the same, so, bluntly, I meant it's something one sucks up until they secure something else.
    A workplace can be excessively stressful, but what I sense from OP's post is that apart from not enjoying working with customers, he is looking for a way out of the job market almost, not making sure he has anything lined up, the means to support himself either I guess, and says he'd like to work less (doesn't have a part time job lined up either) until eventually he gets a degree in something that doesn't involve customer support.
    its less a way out of the job market and more me feeling totally overwhelmed with this job and how i detest it.

    Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    Unless I am completely misinterpreting because there's information he hasn't provided, then I'd think he is being avoidant and that this self-sabotage can cause him a lot more harm than enduring a dreadful job until he's arranged for financial security/ a job elsewhere would. I also think looking back on himself one day, he'd like his choices more retrospectively if he could be grateful he held down jobs without a significant gap in employment than if he behaved irresponsibly by quitting it without getting a good hold of independence, financial or otherwise.
    there is indeed information that i didnt share. but it is not to important to the situation at hand but more how i got into this situation. long story short: parents broke up, im living with my mom to support her because she cannot move (high costs) or pay the rent on her own and my little brother.

    Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    Thank you for explaining, OP. So with the miserable pay during schooling, could you afford to support yourself? If your parents had to help you, how do they feel about you quitting the current job now?

    Honestly, it sounds like you're lethargic in general. Sorry to be that person but do you actively do anything to lift your spirits, like sports?
    the pay is similar to a part time job i think. i could live with that money and my mom would support me (in the sense that wed be living together for those years). she does however not approve of the idea of me quitting and getting a part time job.

    also yes, i would say youre right in saying that im lethargic. i have a strong thyroid dysfunction that i should take medication for, which also potentially affects my brain. i may have depression as a result of that, but not in the sense of "oh my life has been so bad" kind of way but in a "the chemicals in the brain arent as they should be" way. i was not on healthcare for almost 2 years, i got it now that im working again and i need to do a bloodtest and see what kind of meds i need for the condition. im not saying this because i wanted to excuse my behaviour. just extra info because i had to deal with that stuff a few years ago.

    also im not here to have people just say yes to my rants. i asked for opinions and advice. sharing like this helps me a lot to cope with stuff because i dont feel like i can open to anyone about it irl actually TALKING about it. i just cant do it. i would totally have my mom, shed listen "happily" etc but im just not the type who can do that.

    i am currently 26.
    Last edited by emptyeffort; 04-29-2019 at 04:11 PM.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member maew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,229
    Originally Posted by emptyeffort
    ii have lots of patience but i feel like this job is costing me my sanity. i feel like ill eventually get into a downward spiral developing some kind of mental issues.
    I beg to differ on this point given that after 3 months in you are already hating life to the point of spiraling down the rabbit hole of poor mental health.

    OP I haven't read your other threads, are you typically one to be highly anxious and focused on the negative? This seems like an extreme reaction to a job that sounds pretty benign... I mean it's not as though you are cleaning up $hit and vomit for a living after all.

    As for tutoring kids, you are still going to be working with "customers" and helping them solve problems which is what you say you hate about your current job so what is the reason you want to switch from what you are doing now to tutoring?

    If you dig deeper, my guess is you will find this misery is unrelated to what you are doing for a living... and if you don't take time to find out what it is you will run from job to job with no hope of happiness until you do.

  5.  

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    106
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by maew
    OP I haven't read your other threads, are you typically one to be highly anxious and focused on the negative? This seems like an extreme reaction to a job that sounds pretty benign... I mean it's not as though you are cleaning up $hit and vomit for a living after all.
    i wouldnt say im highly anxious but im very focused on the negative. im never optimistic about anything.

  7. #16
    Platinum Member RainyCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,548
    The thyroid issue doesn't come off as an excuse at all, that certainly contributes to you feeling low overall. Do you have an appointment set up?

    Managing your condition and the resulting depression could help significantly.

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    106
    Gender
    Male
    no i havent set up an appointment yet. i hate going to the doc generally and when i finally had the nerve to call them and make an appointment they told me to go onto some fcking website and make an appointment there...... just was about to do it now, turns out i cannot even choose to have my blood taken as an option.. generally thats something they do very early because youre not supposed to have eaten anything. idk i guess ill call another doc tmrw...

    im happy this also got me to remember about my thyroid issue as an actual issue and factor. i had totally forgotten about how it probably influenced my life and how i look on things for years of not treating it. maybe having it treated will help me cope with everything in general. i just feel so ty..

  9. #18
    Platinum Member RainyCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,548
    OP!!!!!!

    I'm not even going to ask if the reason you didn't have insurance before this job is because your mom couldn't afford it and you didn't want to work to be able to afford it yourself- resulting in an unmanaged thyroid condition. Nope, don't say it is so.

    You are dangerously passive. Please talk to your doctor about that too. You need someone to empower you so that you don't evade responsibilities and seek the comfort of idleness at the expense of your own wellbeing.

  10. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    106
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    OP!!!!!!

    I'm not even going to ask if the reason you didn't have insurance before this job is because your mom couldn't afford it and you didn't want to work to be able to afford it yourself- resulting in an unmanaged thyroid condition. Nope, don't say it is so.

    You are dangerously passive. Please talk to your doctor about that too. You need someone to empower you so that you don't evade responsibilities and seek the comfort of idleness at the expense of your own wellbeing.
    youre exactly on the money, again. Ye, ill get this thyroid stuff out of the way asap. ill just go to the doc tmrw ask to do it immediately or give me an appointment right there.

  11. #20
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    507
    Originally Posted by emptyeffort
    . im too unfit for any job that requires lots of manual labor, which is very visible to say the least. so even if i tried noone would hire me for a job on your feet for most of the day.
    Let's start with this. I'm not trying to be an ass. If it wasn't for the physical discipline I picked up in the military I probably would have ended up here and gotten worse than I did. I got much bigger than I liked for a while.

    I can say that this will greatly affect your mood. It won't make your job itself better, and I know the thought of working out at the end of an insufferable day where you don't want to do anything else is hard. Also, not snacking while sitting on your ass all day is hard, especially in an environment where there is frequent coffee and donuts.

    Get your thyroid medication in check.
    Get some physical activity in every day, whether you want to or not..no excuses. Learn about nutrition and eat better. Cut out all the sugars.

    While it seems unrelated to your job, trust me when I say it affects every aspect of your life. If you can't get out of this slump due to depression, consider therapy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •