Is it wrong i do this or should I have already?? Read on.

My ex and I have been broken up almost two years now. We have one kid and we lived together 7 years. His mail still arrives at my address. In the beginning of our break up, I asked him to set up a p.o box. Time passed and he never did. He is now in a new relationship where he lives with the girl who seems nice and they also have a new baby. Two years later, and his mail still comes to my home. I have been patient and waiting for him to get it transferred, even asked his mom to tell him but he still will not do so. Instead he calls and texts me numerous times asking about his mail and to make sure I put it in our kids weekend bag. Should I just go ahead and tell the post office to nip this?? I feel like that would be mean, but I'm also tired of bring responsible for his mail. Am I being unreasonable? I just want to cut all ties. I kinda feel like he's moved on happily and he's keeping me tied to him with the slightest thing. THE FRIGGIN MAIL. His mail shouldn't be my responsibility anymore.

You guys share one, and only one, responsibly: raising your child.

His mail? He's a grown adult and can get his own mail.

No need to make it an issue. I'd just let him know something like, "Can you fill in a change of address form so you're mail stops coming here? If it's not done by [day X] I'll just have it forwarded to you mom's. Hope you're well..."

I bet if you were to mention to his girlfriend that he still receives mail at your place, she'd be able get him to change his mailing address. Don't do that. If he's not willing to change the address, I would take the mail back down to the office and ask the clerk to return it to the sender as your ex no longer lives there, and you don't have the new mailing address.

Just a little technical note... at least here in Canada, legally, you can’t get your mail forwarded without presenting government ID. How do I know? I bought a house 5 years ago and I STILL get mail from the previous owners. I tried contacting the post office about it. I wanted to even pay for mail forwarding for them... they won’t do it. You need to present ID from the recipient... ugh...

Personally, I would start with the passive-aggressive route. I would get a handful of those change of address forms and include one with every bundle of mail for a while.

If that does not work, I would simply tell him he has until X date at which point you are simply marking “return to sender” on all mail.

I agree it has been long enough. You don’t need to get his mail for him anymore. That’s not even being mean at this point and you don’t have to feel bad. It’s simply having reasonable boundaries.

That is odd. The finance person in me is red flagging this as potential mail or bills (debt or account statements) that he doesn't want to share with his current partner. I think this topic begs the question.... what type of mail is it? (Check the envelopes, don't open them)

Pardon, I also wanted to mention (before any misunderstandings) that my previous post is an in-passing comment. This is not intended for snooping of any kind as it's definitely not your business nor (I'm sure) would you ever want it to be. You seem very down to earth and just want to move on with your life. If you've already tried having multiple conversations with him and he doesn't respond or doesn't make any changes, just let him know you'll continue for the next two weeks and then no more mail in your son's pack. Let him know to contact his providers or companies for any information he needs in future. You don't need to elaborate further than that.

You are not responsible for his mail. If you moved house he would have to redirect his mail.

I don’t believe this to be a control issue with him but rather laziness that you are now facilitating.

In the grand scheme of things , it really isn’t a big deal for you to pop his mail in your kids back pack.

But it annoys you and I completely get that.

My suggestion is to facilitate his laziness only one more time. And that is as others suggested , to get a mail redirection form and pop that in your kids back pack.

However I wouldn’t include his mail with it.

Every time he asks for mail, give him another form.

Write on it "please forward, not at this address". Then tell him. It's his job to provide the USPS with a change of address. Stop giving him his mail, simply write forward on it.

he calls and texts me numerous times asking about his mail and to make sure I put it in our kids weekend bag. Should I just go ahead and tell the post office to nip this?

Archived