Need advice on this interview situation.

I got myself into a bit of a weird situation. The company I work for is closing soon so I am avidly seeking new employment. I applied for a job that requires I have a driver license, which I do, just the beginner one, not the level of license they are looking for. Before I applied for this job, I had my G2 (license in Canada where you're allowed to drive on your own - the test is a road test) booked for a few weeks from now. I currently have my G1 learner permit class. It must have listed this requirement somewhere in the job posting, but I missed it as I was really excited about meeting almost all the requirements and applied right away.

I had my first phone interview with the company yesterday where she asked me if I held this class of license. The interview was going so well, and I panicked and just said yes - I know I should have said I will be doing the road test in a few weeks. Today I had another phone interview and got an in person interview for next week. I will have my G2 license in 3 weeks, and I am sure the interview process would be well over by then.

I don't know how to go about this. I don't know if I should e-mail the interviewer and tell her that I misspoke or something and will be getting this license. I know they would find out because I am sure they would ask to look at my license if I got hired as the job involves some regular driving.

Any idea how I should let them know I will be getting this license, and do you think it will hurt my chances of continuing the interview process?

I would email the person and let them know that, in your nervousness, you neglected to say that you will have the license in 3 weeks, but that you currently don't have it.

As MLD said, this may pull you out of the running. Or, the interviewer may very well appreciate your honesty and go ahead and put you through to the in-person interview.

If it puts you out of the running, then use it as a lesson learned: Always be completely transparent and honest, as remember, they have the right to check anything before you get hired.

Good luck!

I am unable to move it up unfortunately! I would be giving a two week notice at my current job still since they're not closing until June.. so I might have it before the start date, but they would see on my license that, at the time of the initial application, I didn't have it.

I am unable to move it up unfortunately! I would be giving a two week notice at my current job still since they're not closing until June.. so I might have it before the start date, but they would see on my license that, at the time of the initial application, I didn't have it.

In that case, honesty is your best policy, and I think your first instinct, which is to email the interviewer, is the best one. The sooner you 'fess up, the better.

If they don't have any other great candidates, they'll appreciate your honesty, and they'll possibly offer you a different interview time when you have the license.

Either way, you'll know you did the right thing.

The job I have now, I had zero qualifications for, as in, literally zero. I work with a highly specialized product, and I knew nothing about it, nor did I have the science degree/background, nor any industry knowledge. I told the interviewer, during the interviewer, that while these things were not on my resume, I'd work very hard to learn them, and I pointed out other areas in my career where I had done just that. She took a chance on me, and it's been well over a decade. She and I are still friends, and she appreciated my honesty. I could have fluffed my way through, but I'd have been sweating the entire time.

Archived