Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Facing the Truth of Getting Old(er)

Well, I feel lucky that I have good insurance. I had a hip replacement this year and I'm considerably older than 52.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I have private insurance too, but here they donít pay for operations because they donít need to. Here it is government funded health care or go to another country and pay for a private operation. Not within the realm of 99%of most people.
    Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Well, I feel lucky that I have good insurance. I had a hip replacement this year and I'm considerably older than 52.

OK, enough with the politics!!

Anyhow - here's another one:

Last week we stayed in (as usual) and watched two really wonderful programs on PBS... one was about bird eggs, the other about butterflies. I (these days) find that far more entertaining than going out and having to "people" with people!!! Other than the occasional uncalled for woof (i.e."Hey, you do know I'm here -right?"), it was nice to have the company of the dogs instead!!!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Camber 2019
    OK, enough with the politics!!

Anyhow - here's another one:

Last week we stayed in (as usual) and watched two really wonderful programs on PBS... one was about bird eggs, the other about butterflies. I (these days) find that far more entertaining than going out and having to "people" with people!!! Other than the occasional uncalled for woof (i.e."Hey, you do know I'm here -right?"), it was nice to have the company of the dogs instead!!!
    For me it wasn't about age. Once I had a baby and a small child especially I found social interactions especially if my child was around pretty darn exhausting. When he's not around or when my husband or someone else is occupying him much better. I am an extrovert so this was surprising to me!

SOrry folks...

I guess this belongs in Off-Topic...

I'll ask the Mods to move it.

I am not the same person as I was when I was 22. I come from the school of hard knocks. I'm more outspoken for sure but I'm still polite, too. Nowadays, I've since learned to decline whereas when I was younger I was such a people pleaser and rarely declined anything. I've since learned what enforcing healthy boundaries with others really means which I very much enforce!

I go to bed early and awake as early as 4:15am 7 days a week. Sleeping in is 5:30am. I don't enjoy late nights out. I'm a homebody, love home cooked meals, maybe watch a movie from home on occasion, take brisk walks and more of a day person.

When I was younger, I ate whatever my heart desired and didn't exercise much. Now that I'm older, I'm more careful regarding my diet, don't eat much and exercise diligently at least every other day without fail. I'm pretty good about my self-discipline. It keeps my aches 'n pains at bay or at least minimizes health woes.

I don't like crowds and noise either. I prefer quiet.

As I get older, I've become more practical, sensible and logical whether it's home life, relationships, friendships and all I do or whom I interact with. When I was younger, I was naive. Nowadays, I know how to navigate myself more wisely. This comes from many years of experience, knowing what works and what fails miserably.

I'm almost 30 but I can relate to this thread. In the past several years (definitely since the age of 24 or so), I've wound down. I haven't changed too much I don't think, just sort of calmed down and matured a bit. My interests remain the same and I was never a partier at all but I used to drink more, I used to smoke a lot of tobacco products (cigars, hookah, never cigarettes), etc.

I drink maybe 1-2x a week now, haven't smoked in years now, and I am a bit more of a homebody, although I do still like to travel. Homecooked meals are the bomb. I am healthier than I have been in a long time. I've become a little more insular and keep to myself mostly but I am happy. I am social when I Want to be and then I go back to my place when I am done. I know what I like. If I don't want to do something, then I don't do it, dammit!

Looking forward to my 30s.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice