Facing the Truth of Getting Old(er)

OK, I thought this would be helpful as well as entertaining.

For those of us that are getting up there in years (let's say 50 and over, but that's just a ballpark) - have you noticed that you do, think, act, in ways you never thought you would (dare I say like our parents)?

I'll start...

When I was young I used to START my nights out on the weekends at 9:00 or 10:00 PM, and stay out until 4:00 or 5:00 AM. :friendly_wink:

Now I find myself wanting to be home before 9:00 IF I go out, and I rarely want t go out!!!:eek:

Absolutely.

I'm still a ways from turning 50 but I'm already noticing these changes.

Not too long I actually said the words "He looks like a nice young man." lol! Instead of saying "omg he's so cute."

All I want to do at 8 or 9 o'clock is have some tea and read.

Yeah... crazy times are definitely behind me. :D

I'm 52. I've noticed some changes but my schedule -no longer socializing late at night like I used to is because I became a parent at 42 as opposed to my age -I have more energy than I had in my 30s in many ways (partly due to dietary/fitness related changes). Most personality/habit/routine changes are because I got married/became a parent at 42, not because of getting older. Interesting thread!

Oh heck yeah! I come home from work and immediately remove all jewelry, makeup, and bra, lol, and I'll get in bed sometimes at 8:30, watching t.v. shows & on the laptop.

8:30!!! That's when I used to shower to get ready to go out!

My girlfriends & I do dinners out. We used to do 7:30 pm, then we started moving it up by 15 minutes, until 6:30 became our norm. Lately, it's been 6:00, and recently, we met at 5:00, for "Happy Hour", but we were all leaving by 7:30. I guess we think it sounds cooler to say "Happy Hour", when in reality, we all want to be home before 8:00!

Oh heck yeah! I come home from work and immediately remove all jewelry, makeup, and bra, lol, and I'll get in bed sometimes at 8:30, watching t.v. shows & on the laptop.

8:30!!! That's when I used to shower to get ready to go out!

My girlfriends & I do dinners out. We used to do 7:30 pm, then we started moving it up by 15 minutes, until 6:30 became our norm. Lately, it's been 6:00, and recently, we met at 5:00, for "Happy Hour", but we were all leaving by 7:30. I guess we think it sounds cooler to say "Happy Hour", when in reality, we all want to be home before 8:00!

Soon you'll be meeting at 4 and bringing those empty tupperware containers for the leftovers LOL. I'm glad you all still make time to meet!

I was having lunch in a restaurant that's located adjacent to the senior citizen master planned community. I thought to myself "Wow, look at all the old people!" Then I realized I AM one of the old people!

When I go clothes shopping. I feel like I should shop in the little old lady department (read: Misses). I am very much a believer in dressing age-appropriate, so I will not be sporting the short clingy spandex dress or the denim mini skirt. No belly shirts. No short-shorts.

The beauty of getting older is that you no longer give a crap (can I say that?) about what anyone thinks of you. No more of all that angst that follows you around in your youth. I have no time or patience for BS. Also don't care what people think about what I'm wearing .... in my youth I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a hat on the beach ...now I wear a hat on the beach, lol.

The beauty of getting older is that you no longer give a crap (can I say that?) about what anyone thinks of you. No more of all that angst that follows you around in your youth. I have no time or patience for BS. Also don't care what people think about what I'm wearing .... in my youth I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a hat on the beach ...now I wear a hat on the beach, lol.

Yup ,the older I get the more black-and-white I get . I see a lot of things from the perspective of I have 30 years of life left . Time is limited. No time for shyte.

I'm in the OP's age bracket, never mind how old I actually am! I dont give a rat's butt what others think of me, I think that comes with age. I live in jeans and t shirts for the most part, I hate getting dressed up, tho I do have nice clothes if needed. I wear a hat in the sun. I am not out to impress anyone, those days are long gone. I'm comfortable in my own skin and basically live my life how I want to live it, not how anyone else thinks I should! I have zero tolerance for BS.

Wait.....aches and pains? Nope, not me.

Unless you count the double bunion surgeries I had....and the creaking my hips make when i stand up after sitting for a while.....and the upper eyelid cosmetic surgery I had (yes I did!)......:p

So, you know you're old, when you start driving your friends home from hip replacement surgeries and face lifts, all of which I've done recently. And they've done for me. :p

Wait.....aches and pains? Nope, not me.

Unless you count the double bunion surgeries I had....and the creaking my hips make when i stand up after sitting for a while.....and the upper eyelid cosmetic surgery I had (yes I did!)......:p

So, you know you're old, when you start driving your friends home from hip replacement surgeries and face lifts, all of which I've done recently. And they've done for me. :p

And don't forget those weird creaking in the knees and other parts of your body. I have to use knee sleeves when I am doing squats, just so that I can get through the darn thing without dislocating them.

Yes.

I think experience makes you more sensible. I also like to wear more comfortable shoes.

While I care about how I look (and because of that exercise, and try to consume in moderation, and dress reasonably well), I don't give a * if the kids complain about my shoes when we are going somewhere.

@Batya - once they are young adults and head off by themselves, you do get a bit more time for yourself.

Although you probably won't spend all of it doing the things you used to pre-children, you can do a bit of partying.

Yes.

I think experience makes you more sensible. I also like to wear more comfortable shoes.

While I care about how I look (and because of that exercise, and try to consume in moderation, and dress reasonably well), I don't give a * if the kids complain about my shoes when we are going somewhere.

@Batya - once they are young adults and head off by themselves, you do get a bit more time for yourself.

Although you probably won't spend all of it doing the things you used to pre-children, you can do a bit of partying.

Yes- we'll see about the time -and yes the truth is what my plan is for the extra time is to possibly shift from part time to full time at work and/or maybe to take some classes at a university (like my mother does -we graduated from the same college -she in the 1950s, me in the 1980s and she takes one class a semester for the last 7 years or so). - I don't think about partying but I do think about more travel (whether kid-free or not) and maybe joining a gym because I won't have to time my workouts to the minute, etc. When I "partied" for about 25 years pre-marriage and kids I didn't get drunk/take drug but I did love going out dancing till all hours at awesome dance clubs in the major city I grew up in. I no longer want to stay up "that" late but I could see taking dance lessons, and going to places where I can dance before midnight lol. Writing this I guess I do realize I no longer have the desire to stay out till all hours or start getting dressed at 9pm.

I do remember distinctly -my husband and I were in our late 30s and would go out for a late dinner then stay up hanging out, or maybe having a late "game night" with friends -then sleep till late morning -once till 1pm. I actually don't think my body would let me sleep that late anymore.

Thanks -made me think more about this Ray Ray.

Again, great thread -so fun to read!

@LH Girl if we ever meet I'll treat for the tupperware, k??

If I am invited out -- IF, and back in the day that was WHEN -- I am glad to leave early. At a party I work the room one round and I am done, ready to go get something done instead.

I go to the grocery store at 6. In the morning.

I can't eat like a football player anymore. In fact, I seem to have found a new balance at 10 pounds more than I would expect. Am seeing if I can break that... and its hard.

Everyone I work for is younger than I am.

My bf is younger than I am.

I am younger than I am.

:D

(But I still have to do my roots every two weeks.)

My mind thinks it is 20 and then I look in the mirror and 😱. I have found that I could not do what I have done in earlier decades the truth is the energy level is just not there and the disintegration of body joints just won’t allow it. Genetics and lifetime work environment ( always on my feet moving) has impacted me quite negatively.

Archived