Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facing the Truth of Getting Old(er)

Platinum Member
    When you were young you would seek out to go to parties.
    Now you seek out of parties to go home.

You also stop saying "You're only as old as you feel."

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by RayRay63
    Yes.

I think experience makes you more sensible. I also like to wear more comfortable shoes.

While I care about how I look (and because of that exercise, and try to consume in moderation, and dress reasonably well), I don't give a * if the kids complain about my shoes when we are going somewhere.

@Batya - once they are young adults and head off by themselves, you do get a bit more time for yourself.

Although you probably won't spend all of it doing the things you used to pre-children, you can do a bit of partying.
    Yes- we'll see about the time -and yes the truth is what my plan is for the extra time is to possibly shift from part time to full time at work and/or maybe to take some classes at a university (like my mother does -we graduated from the same college -she in the 1950s, me in the 1980s and she takes one class a semester for the last 7 years or so). - I don't think about partying but I do think about more travel (whether kid-free or not) and maybe joining a gym because I won't have to time my workouts to the minute, etc. When I "partied" for about 25 years pre-marriage and kids I didn't get drunk/take drug but I did love going out dancing till all hours at awesome dance clubs in the major city I grew up in. I no longer want to stay up "that" late but I could see taking dance lessons, and going to places where I can dance before midnight lol. Writing this I guess I do realize I no longer have the desire to stay out till all hours or start getting dressed at 9pm.

I do remember distinctly -my husband and I were in our late 30s and would go out for a late dinner then stay up hanging out, or maybe having a late "game night" with friends -then sleep till late morning -once till 1pm. I actually don't think my body would let me sleep that late anymore.

Thanks -made me think more about this Ray Ray.

Again, great thread -so fun to read!
    @LH Girl if we ever meet I'll treat for the tupperware, k??

If I am invited out -- IF, and back in the day that was WHEN -- I am glad to leave early. At a party I work the room one round and I am done, ready to go get something done instead.

I go to the grocery store at 6. In the morning.

I can't eat like a football player anymore. In fact, I seem to have found a new balance at 10 pounds more than I would expect. Am seeing if I can break that... and its hard.

Everyone I work for is younger than I am.

My bf is younger than I am.

I am younger than I am.

(But I still have to do my roots every two weeks.)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My mind thinks it is 20 and then I look in the mirror and 😱. I have found that I could not do what I have done in earlier decades the truth is the energy level is just not there and the disintegration of body joints just won’t allow it. Genetics and lifetime work environment ( always on my feet moving) has impacted me quite negatively.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    If I overdo movement or walking one day to go out the next day I might be wheelchair bound to do that because the excruciating severity of pain in my knee won’t allow me to walk.

Seraphim, have you considered knee replacement?

I go out to eat once a month with a group of retired teachers. After a while, we instituted a new rule: Only 15 minutes will be allotted for 'health talk.'

They won’t do it at 52. They made my mom wait until 71.
    Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Seraphim, have you considered knee replacement?

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    ... -then sleep till late morning -once till 1pm. I actually don't think my body would let me sleep that late anymore.
    I am happy to admit to some of those.

It is marvelously liberating to turn off the alarm when you realize you do not have to get up and look after someone else.

Mind you, don't go thinking they are going to cost you less.

There is a great Dave Gilmour song - "There's no way out of here, when you come in you're in for good".

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    They won’t do it at 52. They made my mom wait until 71.
    My mom had it done at age 50.

Who is the "they"? Seems arbitrary and a bit insensitive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice