Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facing the Truth of Getting Old(er)

Platinum Member
    For my dad, I toured an "active senior retirement community". He said no, he wants to stay at the house for now.

But I'm keeping the brochure, as I realize.....wait.....I'm above their minimum age!

And, as we all know EVERYTHING hurts in the morning. A quick walk with the 3 huge dogs at 6:00 AM and I'm good to go!

The beauty of getting older is that you no longer give a crap (can I say that?) about what anyone thinks of you. No more of all that angst that follows you around in your youth. I have no time or patience for BS. Also don't care what people think about what I'm wearing .... in my youth I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a hat on the beach ...now I wear a hat on the beach, lol.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Capricorn3
    The beauty of getting older is that you no longer give a crap (can I say that?) about what anyone thinks of you. No more of all that angst that follows you around in your youth. I have no time or patience for BS. Also don't care what people think about what I'm wearing .... in my youth I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a hat on the beach ...now I wear a hat on the beach, lol.
    Yup ,the older I get the more black-and-white I get . I see a lot of things from the perspective of I have 30 years of life left . Time is limited. No time for shyte.

Originally Posted by Capricorn3
    I'm in the OP's age bracket, never mind how old I actually am! I dont give a rat's butt what others think of me, I think that comes with age. I live in jeans and t shirts for the most part, I hate getting dressed up, tho I do have nice clothes if needed. I wear a hat in the sun. I am not out to impress anyone, those days are long gone. I'm comfortable in my own skin and basically live my life how I want to live it, not how anyone else thinks I should! I have zero tolerance for BS.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Yup!!!! Over 50 here. Aches and pains and diseases settle in and you realize in 30 years you are done.

Seraphim, this is sad but true. An over 50 girl here, so I can definitely relate.

Platinum Member
    Wait.....aches and pains? Nope, not me.

Unless you count the double bunion surgeries I had....and the creaking my hips make when i stand up after sitting for a while.....and the upper eyelid cosmetic surgery I had (yes I did!)......

So, you know you're old, when you start driving your friends home from hip replacement surgeries and face lifts, all of which I've done recently. And they've done for me.

Originally Posted by LHGirl
    Wait.....aches and pains? Nope, not me.

Unless you count the double bunion surgeries I had....and the creaking my hips make when i stand up after sitting for a while.....and the upper eyelid cosmetic surgery I had (yes I did!)......

So, you know you're old, when you start driving your friends home from hip replacement surgeries and face lifts, all of which I've done recently. And they've done for me.
    And don't forget those weird creaking in the knees and other parts of your body. I have to use knee sleeves when I am doing squats, just so that I can get through the darn thing without dislocating them.

I'm starting to tell my grown daughters how to prepare like I wish someone had told me to. Getting in the habit of doing Kegel's and how to do them right, starting at an earlier age, should be at the top of the discussion list!

Gold Member
    Yes.

I think experience makes you more sensible. I also like to wear more comfortable shoes.

While I care about how I look (and because of that exercise, and try to consume in moderation, and dress reasonably well), I don't give a * if the kids complain about my shoes when we are going somewhere.

@Batya - once they are young adults and head off by themselves, you do get a bit more time for yourself.

Although you probably won't spend all of it doing the things you used to pre-children, you can do a bit of partying.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice