Is this normal for relationships, what should I do?

098littlebit

We meet online at the beginning on January and talked all the time, about everything. Our personalities, aspirations, career/family goals, are all extremely similar. We would talk all day, everyday, and the conversations were great; up until about March 9th. Around that time, what he was doing in person began overtaking our communications. His reply were about about 2 hours after mine, then apologizing for whatever caused the hold up. Most nights he would not text back until morning, and apologize for that as well. Soon later, goodnight/goodmorning text ended. As of now, he's responses are about 2-3 hours after I text, doesn't apologize like previous (or mentions what he was doing), and seems distance in our conversations. If I ask him how his day was, he simply says it was good and nothing else. Our conversations are very predictable now. I try to engage with him, talk about my day, ask him about what he's doing and his interest - he seems interested in what I say, but he doesn't further engage besides saying something like "that sounds cool! :)" I remeber specifically that the weekend of March 9th (after finding our old text), we barely talked; since then, things haven't changed at all. Is it normal for relationships to tone down like this (especially online LDRs)? Am I doing something wrong? Should I bring this up to him.. or maybe jusy move on completely?

Have you ever actually met this guy? It doesnt sound like you have. I think he's got other things/interests in his life that dont include you. Maybe even a girlfriend/wife. Time to move on and find a guy locally who you can actually see and hang out with and do things with, not someone who lives far away. LDRs generally dont work.

With all due respect to anyone in an online LDR, I think the key to any LDR relationship is to eventually start as an in-person relationship that becomes a LDR, or an LDR that would eventually become a real life relationship.

Are either of those your situation?

If not, tread carefully since you could invest too much into a relationship that would hurt you in the long run.

He joined the real world. Good on him!

You should do the same!

I think this pretty much nails it. It sounds to me like he is living a normal life and doing normal stuff, and perhaps your insistence (whether explicit or implied) with his time made him feel smothered or pressured. A romantic partner simply cannot and should not fulfill their SO's every need.

It also sounds to me like maybe you two just aren't on the same page with what you want out of this thing. It's been covered here, but for an LDR to survive, there needs to be open and solid communication on the overall goals, and likely, a plan to close the distance. It's pretty much the only thing that allows you to survive being apart all the time. It's been 4 months and you haven't even met this guy yet. Have you had a conversation about what you'd each like from the relationship? If not, you should, soon.

He could be catfishing, scamming or be in a relationship. Never drag out cyber situations like this without ever meeting. Get away from the screen and fantasy land and start getting on some dating apps. Set up a good profile and nice pics and start messaging and meeting real life local guys.

We meet online at the beginning on January up until about March 9th. Around that time, what he was doing in person began overtaking our communications.

Archived