Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suicidal after getting fired from my job of 11 years

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by Tab2n0
    Yes I have reached out to a suicide prevention line. I have been applying for jobs and have interviews etc. Starting from scratch is going to be so hard and I'm scared I will fail, i think it's the fear of the unknown that drives me crazy
    Usually moving to a new job is a quick way to actually get a pay increase. Use this as a positive. Try to do something you've always wanted to do.

In the end, it's just a job. I'd hope you have already filed for unemployment. Take the first thing that comes up as a source of income, and then go from there.

Yes I have applied for unemployment but I'm afraid that I'll be denied because I was fired for misconduct. Only thing I can do is wait on that and appeal if I am denied

No job or loss of significant other is ever a reason to end your life. It really sucks to be let go for such a trivial thing, but you will find work again. Keep your head up. This too shall pass

It's hard to see any good out of this.

Consider applying at temp agencies, one per morning, at least 3 per week. The goal is to get placed as a temp inside local companies where you can apply from within for better jobs. This is how most companies 'try before they buy' new people. It prevents them from discovering a bad match in terms of soft skills or work ethic after they have signed a person permanently.

The agencies don't all place with the same firms, and don't be discouraged when they tell you they have nothing at the moment--good agencies don't have jobs lying around. They place people immediately from their active rosters, and the only way to get onto that roster is to make an appointment (not by sending a resume) to interview and test on any computer apps you claim you can use. If your scores are lousy you'll be invited to use their tutorials to learn more and retest to raise your scores.

Once inside companies in any capacity (the role doesn't matter) you can build relationships and apply for jobs that are not published to the public.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you will trust the process and land something that will make all of this worth the scare. Reward yourself with something relaxing or easy after each interview. Make it a goal to surprise everyone, including ourself, with your resilience and ability to bounce back from this for a better outcome than you can envision at the moment.

Thank you for being understanding

It's hard to see any good out of this.
    Dad used to always say "when one door closes, another one always opens."

Thank you Katrina1980 I have spoken to lawyers bu no one wants to take the case, they keep telling me they dont handle these types of cases and I made sure they are lawyers who deal with employment discrimination etc.
    You've left them with a no-win situation. You said that you joked that your assistant supervisor didn't want to help you because you were colored, and that you were fired over a joke. How can a lawyer prove that you were discriminated against when you said the whole thing was a joke? Even on this board, you opened by saying your statement was a joke.

Unfortunately, the whole thing makes you look pretty bad. Speaking for myself, I would be PISSED if someone 'jokingly' told me I was a racist because they didn't get what they wanted from me. Man, that just makes my blood boil. It's a nasty thing to do.

It is wrong to joke about someone being a racist. You did it at work, to a supervisor, and in writing so he had the opportunity to screenshot it.
    It was poor judgement. Realize the mistake, rather than continuing to defend it.

It is quite an adjustment to lose a job you liked after 11 years. Right now, you are in panic mode. Understandable. But you are stronger and more resilient than you know. You accomplished a lot , even from the little you have shared about yourself here. You can bounce back from this setback.

I know what I said was in bad taste I have already come to terms with it. Not sure where the advice was in your rant or did you just want to let me know how you felt about the situation?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice