Hi, so I’m a 24m who recently had to stop seeing my 21f gf. We’ve been together almost 2.5 years but she said she wants to grow alone. As most men would do I asked if there was someone else. She said she had feeling for a bit about someone online but stopped and didn’t flirt etc. I’ve been by no means the perfect 10/10 bf. But I can say confidently I’ve always been there with here through the emotional and financial hardships we’ve had as a couple. I’ve come to see I must respect her choice to grow alone, I can’t force anyone to be with me. But I still and always will love her till the end, I don’t want to have to try to do the things we did together with someone else. I miss her dearly, and I don’t know how to move on, I have sort of, but not fully, idk if I can. I know I must respect her decision but any advice on this would be welcome. Thank you.

What you think or feel now will change over time although that's impossible to imagine. She likely wants be young and free and not be in a serious relationship so young in her life. She let you go, knowing it could be permanent.

If you haven't gone no contact, it's time to do that for closure. And no, you shouldn't date until you've taken the time to mourn the end of this relationship and are on a path of recovery. Only time and distance will get you to a good place again, and you will one day no longer love her, but can still care about her well being and hope she has a good life, and you might do this while cherishing the good memories of a first love from a comfortable emotional distance.

One day you will know why this relationship didn't work out. The song by Garth Brooks called "Unanswered Prayers" is something you might want to listen to. Take care.

Archived