Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could he be interested or simply seeking more business?

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    It's unclear and certainly I'd meet for coffee. I had recruiters want to meet with me/keep in touch after - very good for their business (in my case, other women).
    Yeah, I'll meet for coffee if it ever gets scheduled.

As I said, he left the company, but I have no clue if he still works in recruitment. His LinkedIn profile hasn't been updated since he left.

Perhaps if I saw he now works for a new recruitment agency, I'd figure things out quicker.

I've dealt with many recruiters before and some even managed to find me along lasting positions. Once I started the job, I never heard from them again. They never reached out again whether for coffee or simply to check on how things are going.

His boss also hasn't reached out either since I signed my contract.

Originally Posted by RuedeRivoli
    I understand his curiosity, but I would find it inappropriate and rather rude to contact a former client to check whether he's owed a fee.
    It would be to verify you got the job... Nothing rude about it. If he's owed the moola then he should go after it but first he had to see if what he did, got them an employee.

Realistically speaking, it's none of his business now that he's left the company. It's unprofessional.
    Realistically, people want to be paid for services rendered, particularly if they are on a commission for work done and it would be his business if he's owed the commission.

How exactly is he going to approach his former employer?
    By contacting them and telling them that he understands that they hired so and so and when can he pick up his cheque for that.

As far as whether he is owed a fee retroactively, this will depend on the terms of his employment contract, so we can only speculate.
    Yes, this whole thread we can only speculate about. This is my speculation.

Let's hope he follows through with the request to go out for coffee, which ultimately, he didn't have to ask if he sole interest was to check whether I got the job.
    Yes, but its always nice to network when you are paid on a commission basis and having coffee is a great way to do that.

He could have left it at "Congrats, great to hear, best of luck" too and I wouldn't have gotten offended. I understand his curiosity. Or perhaps, he wanted to conceal his curiosity with a fake coffee invitation. Only the future can tell.
    Yes... all the rest and all the guesses as to whats going on with his motivation including if he's interested in you romantically is speculation. Like I said... hopefully he contacted you for more than verification.

Platinum Member
    Yeah, I'll meet for coffee if it ever gets scheduled.

As I said, he left the company, but I have no clue if he still works in recruitment. His LinkedIn profile hasn't been updated since he left.

Perhaps if I saw he now works for a new recruitment agency, I'd figure things out quicker.

I've dealt with many recruiters before and some even managed to find me along lasting positions. Once I started the job, I never heard from them again. They never reached out again whether for coffee or simply to check on how things are going.

His boss also hasn't reached out either since I signed my contract.
    You can google him too. See if you can see where he is employed now. I wouldn't speculate about how commissions work at his company.

I find it typical for recruiters to stay in touch with people they've placed/worked with. I was a recruiter for a few years and I found it very valuable to stay in touch -I also made a few friends along the way and went on one really enjoyable date! (the person I cold called asked me out -but we never worked together).

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    You can google him too. See if you can see where he is employed now. I wouldn't speculate about how commissions work at his company.

I find it typical for recruiters to stay in touch with people they've placed/worked with. I was a recruiter for a few years and I found it very valuable to stay in touch -I also made a few friends along the way and went on one really enjoyable date! (the person I cold called asked me out -but we never worked together).
    I looked him up, but only his former company came up.

I don't think he's found a new job. I asked him about how things are going for him & whether he still works in recruitment, his response was: "Things are going great, thanks". Quite vague.

He supposedly quit to go traveling. You don't quit your job to travel for a month & come back.

I wouldn't speculate that he wants a date either but its been speculated. lol

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    I wouldn't speculate that he wants a date either but its been speculated. lol
    I think I gathered that from your post already. Thanks.

There's no point in reiterating the same point twice, same applies for me.

I think I gathered that from your post already. Thanks.

There's no point in reiterating the same point twice, same applies for me.
    Duly noted ;)

Platinum Member
    Based on your responses I wouldn’t meet up with him. It’s a waste of time. Most likely he doesn’t want a date with you and your responses here and your attitude tell me that you likely wouldn’t interact in a way that would motivate him to include you in his networking circle and contact you for future opportunities. You seem unusually suspicious about him and his entitlement to part of a commission and why he’s contacting you. And even if he is considering a romantic interest you’re going to give off those kinds of vibes which typically are a turn off. I’m all for “why not meet” but as I continue to read your responses in your case I think it would be a waste.

I wouldn't meet him for coffee.

Silver Member
    I think the reason why I posted this thread is because I obviously cannot act suspicious towards him.

This does not mean I act in this manner in our interactions (which quite frankly have been short). I always find it a bit strange when people assume the way you respond on a thread is a representation of how you are going to act in real life.

Besides, I'm not the one who brought the part about the commission.

As I said, I just communicated him my number and said to call me/text me to schedule. If it happens, fine. If not, that's fine also.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice