Could he be interested or simply seeking more business?

RuedeRivoli

Hi all,

Back in January, I was contacted by a recruiter for 2 different positions with different companies. About two weeks after our initial exchange of LinkedIn, we had a meeting to discuss these positions and my expectations. We chatted for about an hour or so. I have to say I found him very attractive and interesting, but it was a obviously just a business meeting. At the end of the meeting, he advised me he would follow up with my applications, but that he'd be traveling for a while afterwards, so one of his colleagues would take over.

Late February, his boss reached out to me as one of the companies wanted to interview me. We agreed to meet up for an interview preparation. During the course of this meeting, his boss advised me that the recruiter I had initially dealt with had left the company. I was a bit taken aback, but didn't think much of it.

I went to the interview and ended up with an offer in March. His boss was delighted with the offer and so was I, obviously.

Two days after I received my offer, the initial recruiter I dealt with (who left the company) sent me a connection request on LinkedIn, which I accepted, but we didn't chat or anything. Not sure if he knew I got the job or if it was just a coincidence.

A few days ago, he sent me a message on LinkedIn asking me how I'm doing, how things ended up with the company he submitted my application for, how my job search is going and that he hopes his former colleagues followed up properly. I responded and explained him that I ended up getting an offer. He said he was delighted and that "we should meet up for coffee" after I've settled in the new company.

I don't know if he still works in recruitment as his LinkedIn doesn't display his new position, only his last one through which we met.

Thus, my question is: Is he seeking new business/prospective clients for his new job & thus reached out to me? Or is he actually interested in me personally and thus asked me to meet up for coffee?

Thanks!

A few days ago, he sent me a message on LinkedIn asking me how I'm doing, how things ended up with the company he submitted my application for, how my job search is going and that he hopes his former colleagues followed up properly. I responded and explained him that I ended up getting an offer. He said he was delighted and that "we should meet up for coffee" after I've settled in the new company.
Is he paid commission for head hunting? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he got paid for finding and recruiting you to that firm?

No way of knowing. Just go for coffee (if he ever makes arrangements for you to meet) and see how it goes.

I have no idea, but will tell you, it's quite common for recruiters to take clients or former clients for coffee or lunch..

I have one male recruiter, who got me my last job, who still calls me for lunch, he's married with two kids!

He has zero interest in me romantically, but it's a great business development tool, and the times I've gone to lunch with him (which goes on his bus expense account), he ends it by giving me his business card and asking me to call if I am ever looking for new job or if I know anyone who is.

Is he paid commission for head hunting? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he got paid for finding and recruiting you to that firm?

No way of knowing. Just go for coffee (if he ever makes arrangements for you to meet) and see how it goes.

I assume so, as he worked for a recruitment agency.

Realistically speaking, he just submitted my application to my future job. He left the company shortly after. I can only assume he was already in his notice period when he spotted my CV.

When my future employer advised they wanted to schedule an interview with me, he had already been gone from the company for a few weeks.

Thus, you can imagine that he was no longer affiliated with the company when I received & accepted the offer.

I don't think any company would retroactively pay a commission to a former employee that left the company before his client had even reached the interview stage.

The only thing he did was contact me & submit my CV to my future employer. The follow-up was handled by his colleague after his departure. The commission is paid to whoever was handling the case when the offer came through (and was effectively accepted).

As I told him, I highly appreciate his work. I feel bad that he was the one who initially spotted me and created the connection between the employer and I, only to leave shortly after and not get his commission. I think he realizes now he missed out on a substantial commission (additionally because the position was initially meant to be a temporary one, but the employer liked me at the interview so they offered me a permanent contract instead). He deserves his commission because he's the one who spotted me after all, but it is what it is.

I'll go for coffee with him if he reaches out to schedule something. I have him my number and told him to call/text me. We'll see what happens.

I assume so, as he worked for a recruitment agency.

Realistically speaking, he just submitted my application to my future job. He left the company shortly after. I can only assume he was already in his notice period when he spotted my CV.

When my future employer advised they wanted to schedule an interview with me, he had already been gone from the company for a few weeks.

Thus, you can imagine that he was no longer affiliated with the company when I received & accepted the offer.

Yes, but it he was the one that found you while he was still working there, then he would be entitled to any commission he would have gotten if he still worked there.

I don't think any company would retroactively pay a commission to a former employee that left the company before his client had even reached the interview stage.
He found you and he submitted your resume to the company while he worked there so yes, he would be entitled to that commission.

The only thing he did was contact me & submit my CV to my future employer. The follow-up was handled by his colleague after his departure. The commission is paid to whoever was handling the case when the offer came through (and was effectively accepted).
He would be entitled to the finders fee. At the very lease a referral fee.

As I told him, I highly appreciate his work. I feel bad that he was the one who initially spotted me and created the connection between the employer and I, only to leave shortly after and not get his commission.
He would still get the commission. If he worked on a commission basis, he would be entitled to a portion or all of that finders fee.

I think he realizes now he missed out on a substantial commission (additionally because the position was initially meant to be a temporary one, but the employer liked me at the interview so they offered me a permanent contract instead). He deserves his commission because he's the one who spotted me after all, but it is what it is.
Yes and he would be crazy not to verify that you got the job and then going after his commission or at the very least, finding out what referral fee is owed him.

I'll go for coffee with him if he reaches out to schedule something. I have him my number and told him to call/text me. We'll see what happens.
Good luck. Hopefully he contacted you for more then verification that you were hired after he discovered you.

I understand his curiosity, but I would find it inappropriate and rather rude to contact a former client to check whether he's owed a fee.

Realistically speaking, it's none of his business now that he's left the company. It's unprofessional.

How exactly is he going to approach his former employer?

As far as whether he is owed a fee retroactively, this will depend on the terms of his employment contract, so we can only speculate.

Let's hope he follows through with the request to go out for coffee, which ultimately, he didn't have to ask if he sole interest was to check whether I got the job. He could have left it at "Congrats, great to hear, best of luck" too and I wouldn't have gotten offended. I understand his curiosity. Or perhaps, he wanted to conceal his curiosity with a fake coffee invitation. Only the future can tell.

It's unclear and certainly I'd meet for coffee. I had recruiters want to meet with me/keep in touch after - very good for their business (in my case, other women).

Yeah, I'll meet for coffee if it ever gets scheduled.

As I said, he left the company, but I have no clue if he still works in recruitment. His LinkedIn profile hasn't been updated since he left.

Perhaps if I saw he now works for a new recruitment agency, I'd figure things out quicker.

I've dealt with many recruiters before and some even managed to find me along lasting positions. Once I started the job, I never heard from them again. They never reached out again whether for coffee or simply to check on how things are going.

His boss also hasn't reached out either since I signed my contract.

I understand his curiosity, but I would find it inappropriate and rather rude to contact a former client to check whether he's owed a fee.
It would be to verify you got the job... Nothing rude about it. If he's owed the moola then he should go after it but first he had to see if what he did, got them an employee.

Realistically speaking, it's none of his business now that he's left the company. It's unprofessional.
Realistically, people want to be paid for services rendered, particularly if they are on a commission for work done and it would be his business if he's owed the commission.

How exactly is he going to approach his former employer?
By contacting them and telling them that he understands that they hired so and so and when can he pick up his cheque for that.

As far as whether he is owed a fee retroactively, this will depend on the terms of his employment contract, so we can only speculate.
Yes, this whole thread we can only speculate about. This is my speculation.

Let's hope he follows through with the request to go out for coffee, which ultimately, he didn't have to ask if he sole interest was to check whether I got the job.
Yes, but its always nice to network when you are paid on a commission basis and having coffee is a great way to do that.

He could have left it at "Congrats, great to hear, best of luck" too and I wouldn't have gotten offended. I understand his curiosity. Or perhaps, he wanted to conceal his curiosity with a fake coffee invitation. Only the future can tell.
Yes... all the rest and all the guesses as to whats going on with his motivation including if he's interested in you romantically is speculation. Like I said... hopefully he contacted you for more than verification.
Yeah, I'll meet for coffee if it ever gets scheduled.

As I said, he left the company, but I have no clue if he still works in recruitment. His LinkedIn profile hasn't been updated since he left.

Perhaps if I saw he now works for a new recruitment agency, I'd figure things out quicker.

I've dealt with many recruiters before and some even managed to find me along lasting positions. Once I started the job, I never heard from them again. They never reached out again whether for coffee or simply to check on how things are going.

His boss also hasn't reached out either since I signed my contract.

You can google him too. See if you can see where he is employed now. I wouldn't speculate about how commissions work at his company.

I find it typical for recruiters to stay in touch with people they've placed/worked with. I was a recruiter for a few years and I found it very valuable to stay in touch -I also made a few friends along the way and went on one really enjoyable date! (the person I cold called asked me out -but we never worked together).

You can google him too. See if you can see where he is employed now. I wouldn't speculate about how commissions work at his company.

I find it typical for recruiters to stay in touch with people they've placed/worked with. I was a recruiter for a few years and I found it very valuable to stay in touch -I also made a few friends along the way and went on one really enjoyable date! (the person I cold called asked me out -but we never worked together).

I looked him up, but only his former company came up.

I don't think he's found a new job. I asked him about how things are going for him & whether he still works in recruitment, his response was: "Things are going great, thanks". Quite vague.

He supposedly quit to go traveling. You don't quit your job to travel for a month & come back.

Based on your responses I wouldn’t meet up with him. It’s a waste of time. Most likely he doesn’t want a date with you and your responses here and your attitude tell me that you likely wouldn’t interact in a way that would motivate him to include you in his networking circle and contact you for future opportunities. You seem unusually suspicious about him and his entitlement to part of a commission and why he’s contacting you. And even if he is considering a romantic interest you’re going to give off those kinds of vibes which typically are a turn off. I’m all for “why not meet” but as I continue to read your responses in your case I think it would be a waste.

I think the reason why I posted this thread is because I obviously cannot act suspicious towards him.

This does not mean I act in this manner in our interactions (which quite frankly have been short). I always find it a bit strange when people assume the way you respond on a thread is a representation of how you are going to act in real life.

Besides, I'm not the one who brought the part about the commission.

As I said, I just communicated him my number and said to call me/text me to schedule. If it happens, fine. If not, that's fine also.

I think the reason why I posted this thread is because I obviously cannot act suspicious towards him.

This does not mean I act in this manner in our interactions (which quite frankly have been short). I always find it a bit strange when people assume the way you respond on a thread is a representation of how you are going to act in real life.

Besides, I'm not the one who brought the part about the commission.

As I said, I just communicated him my number and said to call me/text me to schedule. If it happens, fine. If not, that's fine also.

It's not strange to me -you expressed your opinions on how you view his contacting you and since it contains so much suspicion I wouldn't bother - wasting his time too. Like I wrote even if you don't outwardly act like that -I expect you would be polite - your bias and negativity likely will be apparent anyway -especially since his job is to read people and focus on body language, etc.

I think you have it all wrong.

It's not about him, but mainly about me.

The reason why I asked is because I don't want to delude myself into thinking he asked me to go out for coffee because he's interested in me, when it could simply be a business endeavor. It's mainly about me not getting my hopes up, as opposed to me figuring out whether he is after a commission or a new client. I really don't care about this latter part because it's his business, not mine. I just don't want to fool myself into thinking there's an interest beyond the business aspect, that's all.

You got stuck on the subsequent comments as a result of another's poster's advice and your advice is now being filtered throught this lense.

If you read the initial OP, I was not talking about money or a commission at all. Another poster brought it up, so I responded accordingly.

My initial post was rather straight forward I believe and certainly did not convey in any way that I was suspicious towards him, but more so wondering why he reached out out the blue.

If anything, I wouldn't have posted in the Dating section if I was worried about his commission or business endeavor. This would have gone into the Career section instead.

I appreciate your advice, but bringing negativity into this thread is really not necessary and I certainly don't want to have to defend myself about something that in my eyes is obvious.

I would meet for coffee, because networking with good recruiters has always proven to be fruitful for me. You never know whether a new job doesn't work out the way you've hoped, or in the event that you are positioned to need someone for your team.

Recruitment is never limited to the imminent, it's relationship building over time. I'd have the coffee with an eye on that, and should recruiter-man raise anything more social in your discussions, you'll have the opportunity to respond appropriately.

Either way, enjOy. You don't need to pre-think this.

I would meet for coffee, because networking with good recruiters has always proven to be fruitful for me. You never know whether a new job doesn't work out the way you've hoped, or in the event that you are positioned to need someone for your team.

Recruitment is never limited to the imminent, it's relationship building over time. I'd have the coffee with an eye on that, and should recruiter-man raise anything more social in your discussions, you'll have the opportunity to respond appropriately.

Either way, enjOy. You don't need to pre-think this.

I agree with this but in her last post she wrote she is not interested in meeting him unless he's interested in dating her.

"I really don't care about this latter part because it's his business, not mine. I just don't want to fool myself into thinking there's an interest beyond the business aspect, that's all."

On this I agree with Catfeeder and disagree with your perspective unless you have no interest in networking in general.

OP you raised your belief -skepticism -that this could be for a business reason/commision and you were skeptical that it was to continue a business relationship since that had never happened to you. Then others shared that it was typical. No negativity.

Archived