Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could he be interested or simply seeking more business?

Silver Member

Could he be interested or simply seeking more business?

Hi all,

Back in January, I was contacted by a recruiter for 2 different positions with different companies. About two weeks after our initial exchange of LinkedIn, we had a meeting to discuss these positions and my expectations. We chatted for about an hour or so. I have to say I found him very attractive and interesting, but it was a obviously just a business meeting. At the end of the meeting, he advised me he would follow up with my applications, but that he'd be traveling for a while afterwards, so one of his colleagues would take over.

Late February, his boss reached out to me as one of the companies wanted to interview me. We agreed to meet up for an interview preparation. During the course of this meeting, his boss advised me that the recruiter I had initially dealt with had left the company. I was a bit taken aback, but didn't think much of it.

I went to the interview and ended up with an offer in March. His boss was delighted with the offer and so was I, obviously.

Two days after I received my offer, the initial recruiter I dealt with (who left the company) sent me a connection request on LinkedIn, which I accepted, but we didn't chat or anything. Not sure if he knew I got the job or if it was just a coincidence.

A few days ago, he sent me a message on LinkedIn asking me how I'm doing, how things ended up with the company he submitted my application for, how my job search is going and that he hopes his former colleagues followed up properly. I responded and explained him that I ended up getting an offer. He said he was delighted and that "we should meet up for coffee" after I've settled in the new company.

I don't know if he still works in recruitment as his LinkedIn doesn't display his new position, only his last one through which we met.

Thus, my question is: Is he seeking new business/prospective clients for his new job & thus reached out to me? Or is he actually interested in me personally and thus asked me to meet up for coffee?

Thanks!

Platinum Member
    If you like him, go for coffee!

And we have no way of knowing if he's interested. Only one way to find out!

You are a girl. Men like girls. Any questions?!

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    If you like him, go for coffee!

And we have no way of knowing if he's interested. Only one way to find out!
    I definitely do like him.

I said I'd love to go for coffee and gave him my number (seems a bit more appropriate than LinkedIn, for this type of things).

A few days ago, he sent me a message on LinkedIn asking me how I'm doing, how things ended up with the company he submitted my application for, how my job search is going and that he hopes his former colleagues followed up properly. I responded and explained him that I ended up getting an offer. He said he was delighted and that "we should meet up for coffee" after I've settled in the new company.
    Is he paid commission for head hunting? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he got paid for finding and recruiting you to that firm?

No way of knowing. Just go for coffee (if he ever makes arrangements for you to meet) and see how it goes.

Platinum Member
    I have no idea, but will tell you, it's quite common for recruiters to take clients or former clients for coffee or lunch..

I have one male recruiter, who got me my last job, who still calls me for lunch, he's married with two kids!

He has zero interest in me romantically, but it's a great business development tool, and the times I've gone to lunch with him (which goes on his bus expense account), he ends it by giving me his business card and asking me to call if I am ever looking for new job or if I know anyone who is.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    Is he paid commission for head hunting? Maybe he just wanted to make sure he got paid for finding and recruiting you to that firm?

No way of knowing. Just go for coffee (if he ever makes arrangements for you to meet) and see how it goes.
    I assume so, as he worked for a recruitment agency.

Realistically speaking, he just submitted my application to my future job. He left the company shortly after. I can only assume he was already in his notice period when he spotted my CV.

When my future employer advised they wanted to schedule an interview with me, he had already been gone from the company for a few weeks.

Thus, you can imagine that he was no longer affiliated with the company when I received & accepted the offer.

I don't think any company would retroactively pay a commission to a former employee that left the company before his client had even reached the interview stage.

The only thing he did was contact me & submit my CV to my future employer. The follow-up was handled by his colleague after his departure. The commission is paid to whoever was handling the case when the offer came through (and was effectively accepted).

As I told him, I highly appreciate his work. I feel bad that he was the one who initially spotted me and created the connection between the employer and I, only to leave shortly after and not get his commission. I think he realizes now he missed out on a substantial commission (additionally because the position was initially meant to be a temporary one, but the employer liked me at the interview so they offered me a permanent contract instead). He deserves his commission because he's the one who spotted me after all, but it is what it is.

I'll go for coffee with him if he reaches out to schedule something. I have him my number and told him to call/text me. We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by RuedeRivoli
    I assume so, as he worked for a recruitment agency.

Realistically speaking, he just submitted my application to my future job. He left the company shortly after. I can only assume he was already in his notice period when he spotted my CV.

When my future employer advised they wanted to schedule an interview with me, he had already been gone from the company for a few weeks.

Thus, you can imagine that he was no longer affiliated with the company when I received & accepted the offer.
    Yes, but it he was the one that found you while he was still working there, then he would be entitled to any commission he would have gotten if he still worked there.

I don't think any company would retroactively pay a commission to a former employee that left the company before his client had even reached the interview stage.
    He found you and he submitted your resume to the company while he worked there so yes, he would be entitled to that commission.

The only thing he did was contact me & submit my CV to my future employer. The follow-up was handled by his colleague after his departure. The commission is paid to whoever was handling the case when the offer came through (and was effectively accepted).
    He would be entitled to the finders fee. At the very lease a referral fee.

As I told him, I highly appreciate his work. I feel bad that he was the one who initially spotted me and created the connection between the employer and I, only to leave shortly after and not get his commission.
    He would still get the commission. If he worked on a commission basis, he would be entitled to a portion or all of that finders fee.

I think he realizes now he missed out on a substantial commission (additionally because the position was initially meant to be a temporary one, but the employer liked me at the interview so they offered me a permanent contract instead). He deserves his commission because he's the one who spotted me after all, but it is what it is.
    Yes and he would be crazy not to verify that you got the job and then going after his commission or at the very least, finding out what referral fee is owed him.

I'll go for coffee with him if he reaches out to schedule something. I have him my number and told him to call/text me. We'll see what happens.
    Good luck. Hopefully he contacted you for more then verification that you were hired after he discovered you.

Platinum Member
    It's unclear and certainly I'd meet for coffee. I had recruiters want to meet with me/keep in touch after - very good for their business (in my case, other women).

Silver Member
    I understand his curiosity, but I would find it inappropriate and rather rude to contact a former client to check whether he's owed a fee.

Realistically speaking, it's none of his business now that he's left the company. It's unprofessional.

How exactly is he going to approach his former employer?

As far as whether he is owed a fee retroactively, this will depend on the terms of his employment contract, so we can only speculate.

Let's hope he follows through with the request to go out for coffee, which ultimately, he didn't have to ask if he sole interest was to check whether I got the job. He could have left it at "Congrats, great to hear, best of luck" too and I wouldn't have gotten offended. I understand his curiosity. Or perhaps, he wanted to conceal his curiosity with a fake coffee invitation. Only the future can tell.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice