Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Notre Dame

Hollyj

Agnostic now, but things like this bring out the childhood Catholic in me. Devastating seeing the spire collapse. Looks like they're doing their best to stave it long enough to evacuate the locality, but I can't foresee anything left except any newer stone / concrete.

Agnostic now, but things like this bring out the childhood Catholic in me. Devastating seeing the spire collapse. Looks like they're doing their best to stave it long enough to evacuate the locality, but I can't foresee anything left except any newer stone / concrete.

I hope something remains. I remember when I visited Nuremberg, and was quite amazed at how they had restored the city. Let's see what happens.

I hope something remains. I remember when I visited Nuremberg, and was quite amazed at how they had restored the city. Let's see what happens.
Unfortunately, so much of the support infrastructure is wooden. Sharing your optimism, though. Would love to see enough left to work with.

Same.

This makes me terribly sad.

This is horrible to watch, heartbreaking. There is some positive news in that they were able to save some of the art/relics from the cathedral - and in addition, due to the renovation project, some statues (12 apostles and 4 evangelists, famous copper statues I think....) had been removed just days earlier.

Still, this building is irreplaceable.

This is horrible to watch, heartbreaking. There is some positive news in that they were able to save some of the art/relics from the cathedral - and in addition, due to the renovation project, some statues (12 apostles and 4 evangelists, famous copper statues I think....) had been removed just days earlier.

Still, this building is irreplaceable.

It is good they were able to get some of "art/relics" out.

Archived