Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Young Woman Murdered By Man She Thought Was Her UBER Ride!

katrina1980

Ok this is scary. The maniac who killed her was impersonating her Uber driver.

Apparently he stopped, she asked him if he was her Uber ride (which I always ask too), he said yes, and she got in.

Uber is how I get around most of the time, being I don't have a car living in city.

So now what? Expensive taxi I guess.

I'm never getting into another Uber again.

I'm so sorry for this young woman and her family and friends, she was only 21, may she RIP.

My understanding is that Uber gives you the driver's name,make and model of the car as well as license tag. That should be mre than enough information for anyone. From the video, she is talking on the phone as she gets into the car. I'm not sure she asked the driver anything.

Don't ask the driver, "Are you here for Angie?"? or whatever your name is. Ask him to tell you his name and who he is there to pick AFTER you have lookedat his license plate.

Good advice relevart..

So many of us take such things for granted and don't confirm info, me included. My bad. :(

I'm usually in such a hurry, and don't even think about possible consequences of not confirming.

I will be more diligent going forward, taking time to confirm info and asking him/her name of who he/she is picking up.

Thnx relevart.

I take Uber constantly.

Always, always, ALWAYS memorize the license plate and the color and make of the car, and the driver's name, BEFORE you get in. Double check before you even walk over to the car.

Also, the driver should know your name, since it's in the app. So ask the driver who he/she is picking up. They should say, "Katrina", and not ask you for your name.

In this story, the guy drove up and picked up this girl, who was likely drunk and didn't think to check that this wasn't even her Uber. Sad, but a lesson for us all.

I've used Uber twice. It was fine - both times during the day - only issues were logistic. I have considered using it for my son and me (I would have to bring a booster seat for him which is a pain) and then I worry about safety because I'm even more "trapped" if I'm with my child. I may have no choice really this summer for certain camps he is attending. I'll see.

I take Uber whenever I go out to dinner, as if I'm even going to have one glass of wine, I don't want to drive.

Also, there's so little parking available anymore, and Uber comes faster than the valet can even bring your car around.

I also Uber to the airport, and I use it in other cities. I've probably taken over 1000 Uber rides.

I've never had one remotely bad experience. The drivers have been friendly, clean, courteous, and I always ask them to wait until I unlock my front door when they drop me off at night, to make sure I got in ok. Oh yeah, and I'm a good tipper.

But yeah, this story with this poor girl highlighted to me even more, the importance of memorizing the license plate, etc., and making sure the driver knows my name before I get in.

My niece was with me a few months ago, and I made her go through the routine: License plate ends in XH2, silver Altima, and his name is George.

Yes -with the safety protocols it should be fine. In my city the traffic is awful so whenever possible I walk/use public transportation. We happen to have excellent and convenient public transportation to the airport and much more reliable than risking traffic. If I start going out at night again I probably would use Uber.

I take Uber constantly.

Always, always, ALWAYS memorize the license plate and the color and make of the car, and the driver's name, BEFORE you get in. Double check before you even walk over to the car.

Also, the driver should know your name, since it's in the app. So ask the driver who he/she is picking up. They should say, "Katrina", and not ask you for your name.

In this story, the guy drove up and picked up this girl, who was likely drunk and didn't think to check that this wasn't even her Uber. Sad, but a lesson for us all.

Bolded, thanks LG, this is the same advice being given by the media too. May take a bit of extra time and effort but definitely worth it!

I've been lucky, nothing bad has ever happened. Hope nothing bad ever does!!

Yes big lesson learned going forward.

There has been a couple of Uber drivers who have raped women as well.

Yikes TwT!! I mean, can you even trust taxi drivers?

I recall an incident wherein a female Uber driver attacked her passenger, I can't remember why, but the attack was pretty bad, I think he had to go to hospital!

Yikes TwT!! I mean, can you even trust taxi drivers?
Well they are screened a hella lot better it would seem, they have stricter licensing laws and I have never heard of a Taxi driver doing any of the things I've heard that Uber drivers have done. (not saying it hasn't happened but I'm ancient so you'd think I would have heard something by now ;)

I recall an incident wherein a female Uber driver attacked her passenger, I can't remember why, but the attack was pretty bad, I think he had to go to hospital!
I never heard of a taxi driver attacking a passenger either for that matter.
Well they are screened a hella lot better it would seem, they have stricter licensing laws and I have never heard of a Taxi driver doing any of the things I've heard that Uber drivers have done. (not saying it hasn't happened but I'm ancient so you'd think I would have heard something by now ;)

Yes. Over the years I have had some scary taxi drivers but I have their medallion number (or in the case of a licensed car service ,the company). I am with you -it's only with Uber and Lyft tat I've heard of all these issues. I took taxis regularly for over 20 years in one major city and in other cities. Very few issues like that and didn't hear these scary stories.

I suppose that's why taxis are so much more expensive? At least in my neck of the woods.

You get what you pay for - with a taxi, it's peace of mind knowing you'll be driven to your destination safely and without incident.

This is extremely sad that this happened. Unfortunately (and I don't mean to victim blame here, because this IS new technology so I am not blaming her for not checking because again, new stuff) it's very important to double check all of the Uber information before getting into that car. The app shows you the driver's name, picture, car make/model, car color, and license plate. You must check ALL of these before getting in on the app as the car pulls up. If just one thing doesn't fit, then don't get into that car, no matter what they say.

I used to drive for Uber Eats for a little bit, in between finishing school and starting my new job. I drove food around, not passengers. I had to go through a background check and had to upload my license, vehicle registration, and insurance information. If any of that expired, I had to reupload the new documents and the app wouldn't let me drive until I did so. The app also would have sudden "photo verification" where I'd have to immediately take a selfie of myself through the app if I wanted to continue to use it.

I guess my perspective is different. Taxis are TERRIBLE in my city. I didn't use them before Uber and if Uber/Lyft went away, I wouldn't use them again. I'd rather walk (and have done so) than rely on the taxis here. Not only are they ridiculously expensive, they are unreliable. Good luck waiting for one! They will be extremely late or won't even show up at all. It's not worth it. I'd rather just walk home drunk (again, I have!) than sit and wait for over an hour for someone who may not even come.

Unfortunately, this situation is less of an issue with Uber safety - an Uber driver didn't kill her, someone impersonating one did. This just underscores the importance of taking precaution and double-checking everything.

Agree completely, Fudgie. The taxis here are terrible. Heck, I was in NYC earlier this year, and I still used Uber, and it was quicker, cleaner, and the drivers are just nicer. Plus, as you said, they do go through screenings. I use Uber Eats, and I'm pleased to know about all the verifications they employ. Sudden "photo verifications"....wow! That's a great tool, to make sure it's really you driving the car. Makes me feel even better.

I feel absolutely horrible for this girl and her family, but unfortunately, it highlights the extreme importance of checking the car before you get in.

And yes, I've had terrible taxi experiences. One of our favorite family stories, about which we now laugh, is one of the worst taxi experiences we had as a family in NY.

I used to travel to NY once a month for business, so I took taxis everywhere, all the time. Once Uber came about, I made the switch, and have never looked back.

Agree completely, Fudgie. The taxis here are terrible. Heck, I was in NYC earlier this year, and I still used Uber, and it was quicker, cleaner, and the drivers are just nicer. Plus, as you said, they do go through screenings. I use Uber Eats, and I'm pleased to know about all the verifications they employ. Sudden "photo verifications"....wow! That's a great tool, to make sure it's really you driving the car. Makes me feel even better.

I feel absolutely horrible for this girl and her family, but unfortunately, it highlights the extreme importance of checking the car before you get in.

And yes, I've had terrible taxi experiences. One of our favorite family stories, about which we now laugh, is one of the worst taxi experiences we had as a family in NY.

I used to travel to NY once a month for business, so I took taxis everywhere, all the time. Once Uber came about, I made the switch, and have never looked back.

We've had a number of Uber Eats violence related issues in my city in nice areas. I think it depends on the city. Certainly I was harassed by taxi drivers. I'll see how Uber goes if I have to use it in the future. I deleted the app (old phone/no room) but my husband uses it.

Really? Uber Eats?? That's interesting, because you don't even get into the car with Uber Eats. They just hand you your food out of the window.

Yes so I've heard. It had to do with conflict over the order maybe? You know it may only have been one incident which of course can happen anywhere. In my personal experience and from what I have heard and read I feel safer using a car service (we have a car service stand down my block and we live right near a fancy hotel which has taxis) and I used to live where taxis were everywhere. I agree with whoever wrote about licensing. I most likely would use it to get my son places and I feel a lot more vulnerable when it's the two of us -that much harder to get out of a bad situation including for the practical reason that I'll have his car seat and our inevitable "stuff".

Yeah I use Uber Eats quite a lot. They deliver your food in their car, and like LHG said, hand you the food out the window.

If there was a problem with the order, I wouldn't even know it until I get back inside, and the driver is long gone.

So I am curious about this Uber Eats incident, violence.

I may do some research, see if I can find something written about it.

We live pretty far north in Manhattan. Not a whole lot of taxi traffic at our intersection, so we pretty much exclusively call in a Lyft for rides to the airport or days we just don't want to deal with the MTA. Advice to my lady has always been 4.9+ and to verify the plates. Everyone and their mother runs a black Camry, so gotta take particular care to verify. Not that I'm any more scared for her odds-wise than I am myself, but I tend to be the more vigilant one between us.

Also, NOT TO VICTIM BLAME as it's obviously 100% on him and of course we should be able to do as we damn please without risk of getting merc'ed, but there's something about someone standing on the sidewalk on the phone and not so much as putting it down to greet a driver who pulls up that leaves me unsurprised when they're targeted. My wife's a doctor and is obviously a busy woman who will always have some element of work outside of work, which I respect and sympathize with, but it's taken a few loving reminders that when in public, earphones off and phone down. If for nothing other reason than having 2500+ pound vehicles zipping around you and construction going on. But in relation to the obvious concern here, sometimes all it takes to deter someone is a tiny glance so they know you're aware of them, or even just looking like someone who's got even a mild situational awareness. Honestly, all it takes these days is little more than keeping your head up. Again, NOT speaking with any certainty to this particular situation. She could have been running boxing drills while waiting for her car and suffered the same fate. It's just general advice. Predators in any species look for 1) opportunity and 2) opportunity which risks the least amount of harm to themselves.

And let's not forget that, for as absolutely tragic and justifiably notable as this incident is, it is rare. Perhaps not as rare as we'd like, but rare nonetheless. I encourage people to be constantly aware of their environments, but that doesn't mean you have to full-sprint past every alley way or assume your next driver will be the one.

I live in a heavily trafficked urban area. I listen mostly to podcasts/news stations with my earbuds. When I cross a street though I am never looking at my phone. I've been wearing earbuds for many years, I don't have it up too loud so I'm ok that way and I get what you're saying!Interestingly now they also have services that will pick up your teenager who can't yet have a driver's license to take her to and from after school activities.

I got off the train once and was waiting for my Uber. Typical white Prius. I am approaching it from the front and notice there are no license plates on the front of the car.

I got in the wrong Uber. Luckily he was a legitimate Uber driver, I was just not his fare. I did say his name before I got in and he seemed rushed and hustled me into the car. From there is was a series of miscommunication, me on my phone while in the back seat, canceling and rescheduling my ride. Him barking orders at me. At one point I told him to let me out of the car in a supermarket parking lot. Apparently he wouldn't be paid for my ride and the incident was uncomfortable and nerve rattling. He got me to my destination but was sure to tell me he wouldn't be paid. Upon my exit from the back seat I barked at him. `Put some GD plates on the front of your car!"

Lesson learned! Though my experience was uncomfortable, it could have been a lot worse.

I think of it every time I hear these horrific stories.

I don't Uber often but the next time I did I was speaking with the young man driving. He had both Uber and Lyft stickers on his car. In his own words - If you were my mom or my sister I would recommend you using Lyft over Uber.

He said that the qualifications to become an Uber driver were laxed into comparison with Lyft. He said the he was qualifed the same day with Uber and Lyft took a week to look into his history before qualifying him. Doing both simultaneously, is was just his sense that Lyft was safer.

I live in a heavily trafficked urban area. I listen mostly to podcasts/news stations with my earbuds. When I cross a street though I am never looking at my phone. I've been wearing earbuds for many years, I don't have it up too loud so I'm ok that way and I get what you're saying!Interestingly now they also have services that will pick up your teenager who can't yet have a driver's license to take her to and from after school activities.
Yeah I try not to drive the earbuds point too heavily. I think you'd be just fine. For us, it's much less any worry someone is going to do anything knowing she's listening to music. It's more for the environmental hazards. She walks up Broadway to work, and every other building is always having construction of some form going on outside it. One more month and we're out of here. Will finally get reintroduced to some lesser known luxuries in these parts such as "quiet" and "acceptable air quality."
Yeah I try not to drive the earbuds point too heavily. I think you'd be just fine. For us, it's much less any worry someone is going to do anything knowing she's listening to music. It's more for the environmental hazards. She walks up Broadway to work, and every other building is always having construction of some form going on outside it. One more month and we're out of here. Will finally get reintroduced to some lesser known luxuries in these parts such as "quiet" and "acceptable air quality."

Sounds like a huge and exciting transition!

Archived