How can I improve myself in my relationship?

11april65

My boyfriend is the only person I’m close with in my life. I have no other friends. Due to my intense loneliness, I have been diagnosed with depression. I also have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder which prevents me from making close friendships with other people in the first place. Since I have nobody else in my world, I am entirely dependent on my boyfriend. I get jealous over the littlest things. I admit that I don’t let him do things that he likes because it takes attention away from me. I’m aware that I do this and I know it is wrong but I don’t know how to make myself better. He’s all I have and he’s the only person I receive attention from. I complain to him that I’m not receiving enough affection, and I know that’s wrong of me too. I think I’m suffocating him because I ask for so much of his time and ask him to drop everything for me because I have nobody else. He assured me he loves me and doesn’t want to break up with me, but he wants me to improve myself. Which is why I’m here. I’m not sure where to start. Jealousy is a huge problem for me. I’m very insecure and have a low self esteem. An example of how insecure I am is if I wanted to watch a movie with him but saw a pretty, sexy female as a main character i would choose not to watch it in fear of him being attracted to her. I recognize how controlling I am and it adds to my insecurity because I think there’s nothing appealing about me and I don’t see any reason for my boyfriend to even like me. So i have a lot of problems with myself. How do I help myself so I can save our relationship from being drowned out by all of my problems?

Your one and only friend WILL leave you because of this.

What are you currently doing to change your behaviour that is driving him away?

What are you actively doing about your anxiety and depression?

Are you even making small attempts to overcome it?

You are asking the wrong question . But the answer to your question is that you can NOT improve yourself within a relationship until you can improve yourself outside of it.

Archived