Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angry husband and puppy

Interesting information. I still think it's a bit premature to diagnose anyone at home or over the internet. I still stick to better communication and working things out. You mentioned this was 'recent' so calmly go over it once the dust settles. If you are experiencing more difficulties in your marriage and it's irreconcilable(or you can no longer see a future with this person due to this or any other number of factors), I'd suggest speaking to a lawyer instead.

Platinum Member
    I don’t think you need to go to the trouble of diagnosing. If an adult is blaming a puppy his choice to act out his rage this way that’s all you need to know. Get the puppy to a safe place first and if he has never ever treated you this way then you have a bit of time to explore whether something unusual is going on with him - is he on a new or different medication? Lost his job or risk of? Not as a therapist just some practical questions. Also did he want a puppy as much as you did ? Has he ever had a pet before ? How does he deal with “road rage “. Again if he’s never ever treated you this way I don’t think you leave today but it must be addressed ASAP. Good luck.

Platinum Member
    This behavior is definitely not normal and I would be very concerned. I totally agree with the other posters, if he's going to completely lose it like this and break stuff just over a dog not coming when called, what about children? Kids cry and scream and misbehave all the time. He is completely irrational and has no compassion because a puppy is still a baby and still learning. All puppies can be naughty. My family always had dogs, so I know. To get to such a high level of anger as to smash his laptop is really bad and inappropriate. And then to blame it on the poor defenseless dog! If he can't even recognise that he has a problem and get help then that is even more worrying.

Don't get rid of the dog. Get rid of the husband. This would be more than enough to make me walk away. He's abusive and cruel to a helpless animal.

Make a plan and get out. Take the dog. Please don't ever have kids with this man.

Operating on the pretense you won't actually get rid of the husband, get rid of the dog. Take whatever personal risks you want with whomever, but the puppy lacks agency, and it's your absolute responsibility to ensure its security. It's still young enough it can likely be rehomed to a safe and loving household with relative ease.

Wow, he has an attitude problem or a mental issue. Counseling is pretty much mandatory.

Platinum Member
    YOU and the puppy need to get somewhere safe. If he does this about a puppy, he will do this to you. Sorry, but that's what I would do.

Platinum Member
    YOU and the puppy need to get somewhere safe. If he does this about a puppy, he will do this to you. Sorry, but that's what I would do.
    Don't dump the puppy at the shelter - use this as a warning sign, People who do this almost ALWAYS end up hurting another person , particularly a child or spouse.
    I would also be taking the puppy to obedience classes. Puppies are puppies and don't always listen, but it helps the puppy understand what you expect with positive reinforcment. I wouldn't come if someone screamed at me, either!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice