Have you ever reconnected with someone you briefly dated?

kathy82

Unfortunately yes.. and wasted more good years with the same person. I gave it a go once with one person a second time. There were issues there on the other side that were out of my control/not in my power to change or overcome. He contacted me when I was away in Hawaii. It didn't work out and I really wanted to move on after the second go, after a few years. A short while later I met my (now) husband. I've been much happier, a whole lot more grateful for everything in life and amazed at life in general. I laugh a lot more and smile a lot more and have a light heart. I think when you're ready to let go and let good things into your life, you'll be rewarded for that.

Regardless of what you decide, have courage and know that you'll make the right decision for you eventually no matter what the circumstances even if it takes you a little longer or in a more roundabout way.

I got back together with an old boyfriend, it was a disaster! I thought I missed him, I flirted with him a bit, he asked to get back together and I said why not.

All the things that annoyed me about him were back and we ended in very bad terms... we were quite young too

Yes, I married an ex boyfriend -but we dated seriously. Yes, I dated people again after dating them a short time. For various reasons - in one case because the first time he just wanted sex and indicated when he called again that now he didn't (not true so it ended quickly). Second case he had met someone else when he met me and called me again a few months later. We went out again twice. I did do a number of back and forths with more than one serious boyfriend (but you were asking about briefly dating).

Yes. In my online dating, the longest so far has been 2-1/2 months...that breakup really hurt, ghosting, and when he contacted me, I decided, why not? Same story, different day. The same "busy" life, sporadic dates...another bout of hurt. I've had plenty of 2-3 dates resurface...the outcome was the same...fade out.

Of course in my past, I've had long-term (or semi-long term, more serious) relationships, where getting back together didn't work out...there is a reason we broke up, whether it was me or him. It's normal to feel longing and miss them because we tend to forget the bad parts and we have voids in our lives that they once filled, but we forget the issues that broke us up in the first place.

I reconnected with a boyfriend (long term) from 20 years ago. Sporadic date here and there...has yet to advance to anything and frankly I don't see any compatibility long-term, but it's hard to determine this when he's fully unavailable, so whatever. If he calls and wants to meet up for a drink I'm happy to do do so and grab a little smooching before heading home. Until the right one comes along, I don't mind a little play time.

I guess in my experience, the second attempt rarely works out any differently than the first. Certainly there are many, many circumstances where the second time does work out, so I don't see any harm in exploring a second try, provided the relationship isn't toxic and you keep your expectations in check...go with the flow and let things evolve. You've been living your life without this guy for weeks/months, and you should continue to do so. He should be an enhancement, not someone who keeps you from doing your desired activities because you detour to get ready or take time to meet him, cancel other plans, and then he bails. If you don't hear from him, make your plans and don't juggle. Prioritize yourself.

Yep. Dated a guy when I was 18 for about 3 months. Broke up mutually because I was heading to University.

Kept in touch and got back together about a year later. Broke up again when we realized we were far better friends than anything else.

He's still one of my best friends and so is his wife.

I'm not here to post a getting back together story, I just could have posted the same question, so according to the responses , I want to focus on ' briefly dated' as in 2-4 dates or so, ofc if the OP agrees.

There's a difference between 2-3 months+ and 2-3 dates

This guy: Any way to salvage this?

Had a few great dates w a guy I met online (me: mid-30s; him: early 40s) During pillow talk after making out (no sex), we were talking about the last time we had sex with someone and I found out that he has been going on dates with someon else non-exclusively for a couple of months (they are sleeping together exclusively though) and that right now he isn’t looking for a serious relationship (because he recently got out of one). I told him I’m looking for someone who is dating with the intention of finding a real/serious relationship (I stressed that I didn’t know if I wanted a relationship with him yet though as too early). He suggested we stay in touch and see what happens as he doesn’t know how he will feel a few months from now about a serious relationship. I said prob not a good idea bc I didn’t want to get more invested in someone who doesn’t want the same things. He left. The next morning I regretted my reaction bc I realize everyone multi-dates at first. I texted him that I didn’t feel great about the way I acted or how we left things and that the conversation was premature. I also told him that I’d be in his city next weekend and would like to see him if he’s up for it. He wrote a long response basically saying that honesty is always a good thing, that we are on different pages right now, and that both deserve a situation that works for us. He also said he would be out of town next weekend but that he would love to stay in touch if I’m up for it. I replied that yes I’d like to stay in touch and thanked him for being honest. He replied that he’s really glad to hear is to stay in touch. However, Im confused: I thought my text made it clear that I am ok w/ casual for now, so why hasn’t he asked to see me again? Is there any way to salvage this- I feel quite silly and regret the intense conversation because I felt a real connection with this guy."

If so, everybody advised you to steer clear of him.

Archived