Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: final days for a cat named blue

final days for a cat named blue

Hi guys,

I took my cat to the vet this morning pretty certain what the prognosis would be: that Blue, after 16 years by my side, and probably something like 18 or 19 on the planet, has reached the end of her time.

She's been drifting in this direction for a while now, over the past month it escalated, and here we are. She's on some fluids that will give her a decent day or two—and me some time to just love her without worrying—but all that could be done has been done.

I've always respected that this is part of the deal of pet companionship, a hard reality that should be honored. The last few weeks, as she's really declined, have been surprisingly sweet. She's weak, vulnerable, but still graceful. I've had to be there for her in some new ways. And she's been there for me back, in new ways as well. Softer in spirit, more surrendering. Some of that has rubbed off on me, I think. I'm grateful.

She adopted me 16 years ago, stopping me on the streets of Brooklyn when I was a 23-year-old punk heading out to get a beer. I didn't even like cats, but I liked her vibe, let her into my house. I've lived a lot of life since then, in a lot of places, and she's been there, seeing me right to the doorstep of 40 and all the way to the other side of the country. I like that she had some time in California. I can't explain why, but it feels like the right place for her to bow out. The golden light, and so on.

I'm writing about a cat on an internet forum—talk about a chapter in my life I didn't see coming, and one I certainly realize is awfully minuscule in the scheme of global order, to say nothing of what others are reckoning with on here.

But it doesn't feel so tiny to me, not this second. I'm new to California myself, with my deepest friends far away, so it's a pretty solitary moment. And you guys are just great, I've loved finding this nook of the web—and, well, I didn't pull the name Bluecastle out of a hat.

She was purring in my lap when I created an account, while I was questioning the walls of my own castle, so I suppose it seems right to share this with you as I feel some feelings.

Thanks for listening.

BC

Ahhh :( So sorry bluecastle. Its hard losing a pet, been there, done that. Its especially hard when she's been a part of your life for so long.

Hugs to you and one to Blue, too.

I know Blue had a great life, and she was very lucky that she met you on the streets of Brooklyn. Life can be so painful at times.

One of my two cats had what was thought to be an abscessed tooth when in actuality it was cancer of the jaw. I had to decide right then and there whether to take her home and make her comfortable or euthanize her.
    She was 13, I wasn't prepared to I let her go, but I did.

I face her lost little buddy everyday who has never been the same since she lost her partner.

Don't underestimate the grief of losing a pet. How can you not when they love you so unconditionally?
    You gave her a good home. It's just such a shame we don't get to keep them longer.

Hugs to you and Blue.

So sorry.

I’m a firm believer pets are a part of our families and hearts so not silly at all, at least not to me.

Platinum Member
    So, so sorry.

Cats are a true member of the family, as they give us much more than we could ever give them. I'm sorry, and hopefully you'll find peace and comfort in your memories...

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I am so sorry. I love kitties. ❤️

Gold Member
    Oh, dear bluecastle, how very sorry I am to hear of the loss of your precious little fur baby. I know how saddened and heartbroken you must feel. It's so hard to say goodbye to such a special companion. I, too, had to put down my sweet kitty, Freya, about 5 years ago due to stomach cancer. We had her for only 3 years. Every morning she would awaken me (at 5:00 am, no less!) and she would put her little head next to my neck and purr. She would constantly sit on my lap. What a darling little girl she was.

My older son has two kitties - his beloved black kitty who will be 16 years old in June and a little Maine Coon male who found us on 911. I dread the day when his older kitty reaches the end of his time. He's had him since he was 8 weeks old. I adopted two kittens last year and they are adorable and so busy. Hopefully, they'll calm down.

Like Sarah said, Blue was lucky to have had you in his life, and vice versa. Sending you hugs and some to Blue too. xx

BTW, I used to live in Brooklyn, NY years ago.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by HeartGoesOn
    Cats are a true member of the family, as they give us much more than we could ever give them. I'm sorry, and hopefully you'll find peace and comfort in your memories...
    Beautifully said, HeartGoesOn, and so true.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice