Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Anybody interested in Genealogy?

Afireblue

I have been working on my family history for a little over a year, and it has led me to be very proud of my origin and culture ( I am Mexican).

Β 

Today I have this warm feeling inside because I found a distant relative who contacted me through the genealogy site as she showed interest in all the work I have done, (I have gotten very far) we are related on my paternal side. She was not having any luck on her maternal side, so I asked if she wanted my help and gave me some info, so I took a look...

Β 

Her mother had lost her parents at a very young age and barely remembers anything, she is 88 years old now, through all the information I was able to find for her this lady found out what really happened to her parents and where they are buried and sent me a very nice, heartfelt message thanking me.. and it just made me feel good, a bit sad for her but I was happy to do something so little for someone that meant so much for her.

Β 

AB :tongue:

I'm interested in it, and have done 23andMe and Ancestry tests. I am not adopted but wanted info about my dad's family as I knew very little about them and they've all died now. I found a first cousin and some 2nd cousins and a lot of 3rd and further back cousins! I've been able to grow my family tree with my dad's 13 siblings and assorted spouses and kids and I am delighted.

Β 

I've met one 2nd cousin who lives 1/2 hour from me and there's 1st and 2nd cousins I plan to meet soon who live an hour from me!

Β 

My aunt on my mother's side did their tree back into the 1700s and I have huge flow charts of various branches (done before computers!) and knew a lot about them.

I'm interested in it, and have done 23andMe and Ancestry tests. I am not adopted but wanted info about my dad's family as I knew very little about them and they've all died now. I found a first cousin and some 2nd cousins and a lot of 3rd and further back cousins! I've been able to grow my family tree with my dad's 13 siblings and assorted spouses and kids and I am delighted.

Β 

I've met one 2nd cousin who lives 1/2 hour from me and there's 1st and 2nd cousins I plan to meet soon who live an hour from me!

Β 

My aunt on my mother's side did their tree back into the 1700s and I have huge flow charts of various branches (done before computers!) and knew a lot about them.

Β 

Wow so cool!

Β 

Did you know about these cousins before ? Or after you did your tree?

Β 

How admiring of your aunt to do it on her own. Now it's easy with the aid of technology really

I've never done anything before but do find it very interesting. My husband has a massive family tree, going way back to 1461. They have a large collection of life-size family portraits, including dates like 1547, 1563, 1582 etc etc all with titles (if titles were still recognised, my husband would be "Baron" lol). They also have a Coat of Arms and all male members of the family wear a ring with the coat of arms. All the family heirlooms are now in the possession of my husband's eldest brother, and when he dies, it goes to his eldest son and so on. His history goes on forever and once anyone asks him about it, oh boy, brace yourself, because you'll sit for the next 8 hours listening and still not be done, lol. Oh, and none of this was traced on computer.

Β 

My own family, I often think it would be interesting to dig a little deeper but somehow I never get around to it, lol.

Β 

ETA: My hubby has just corrected me: they traced back to the early 1200's - not 1461. Ooops. I got that date from one of the portraits.

I've never done anything before but do find it very interesting. My husband has a massive family tree, going way back to 1461. They have a large collection of life-size family portraits, including dates like 1547, 1563, 1582 etc etc all with titles (if titles were still recognised, my husband would be "Baron" lol). They also have a Coat of Arms and all male members of the family wear a ring with the coat of arms. All the family heirlooms are now in the possession of my husband's eldest brother, and when he dies, it goes to his eldest son and so on. His history goes on forever and once anyone asks him about it, oh boy, brace yourself, because you'll sit for the next 8 hours listening and still not be done, lol. Oh, and none of this was traced on computer.

Β 

My own family, I often think it would be interesting to dig a little deeper but somehow I never get around to it, lol.

Β 

ETA: My hubby has just corrected me: they traced back to the early 1200's - not 1461. Ooops. I got that date from one of the portraits.

Β 

What??? That's amazing. A true dedication from his family. It is very time consuming and a lot of playing detective but def worth it!

Wow so cool!

Β 

Did you know about these cousins before ? Or after you did your tree?

Β 

How admiring of your aunt to do it on her own. Now it's easy with the aid of technology really

Β 

I did not know about the cousins on my dad's side. He was one of 14 kids and I knew a couple of sibling names and that was all. I now have all of their names, some spouses and kids names, some birth and death dates and I now know who their parents (my grandparents) were! I never knew most names until about two years ago.

Β 

My aunt spent years on her research back when there were a few relatives still alive in England and she wrote letters back and forth across the pond to them! I have a photo album of many old relatives. She worked hard on this for decades. A computer would have made life easier for her!

Β 

I also found out about a family castle in Ireland nobody here in Canada knew about and about 10 yrs ago my husband and I went to see the castle! Very old, built around 1200 AD. What a trip that was!

I have been heavily into genealogy from time to time. It's pretty amazing what you can dig up or verify. On my mother's side half came from New England (three convicted during the Salem Witch Trials) and the other half through the landed gentry of the mid-Atlantic colonies (ironic as they all ended up dirt poor after about 1840). Manages to trace all of them back to about mid 1600s, with the exception of a bastard child of one of the English nobility (haha).

On my father's side one half of the line just appears out of nowhere in 1740, likely poor illiterate Rhinelanders, another served as the prosecution during the Salem witch trials (can't make this hilarity up), most of them I can trace back to about 1300.

Β 

It's really exciting delving into where we came from, and I have to say the unexpected results can be quite entertaining!!!

My goal for now is to trace back my Portuguese ancestry I've gotten as far as late 1500s but so far, no connections in Europe just yet... I did find interesting characters and relation to famous people in the independence war from Spain in 1810... yay, but when, if, I get further than the 1500's , that will be the day I celebrate

Β 

Β 

Β 

Fantastic!

Archived