He said "I love you" after almost 2 weeks

Hello, everyone! I am my boyfriend's first girlfriend and he told me he loves me after almost 2 tweeks and I'm really freaked out! :eek: Isn't it too soon? What should I do? I mean I want to take things slow as I had gotten out of a five year relationship (my first one) about 10 months ago, but he is everything that I said I wanted in my next boyfriend and I don't want to pass up something really great.

as I had gotten out of a five year relationship (my first one) about 10 months ago, but he is everything that I said I wanted in my next boyfriend and I don't want to pass up something really great.

Dating him only 2 weeks and already he is "everything you want in a boyfriend"?

So under different circumstances I’d say red flag but youre both super young and this is his first relationship so it sounds like she exploring all these new feelings and expieriences, mainly I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water because you’re on that moving too quickly train right along with him, look at your verbiage, how could you know he’s ‘everything you’re looking for’ after 2 weeks? Plus 10 months out of a 5 year relationship would be considered by many not enough time especially if you’re also 18 which would have made you 13 when your other relationship started?

No judgement, all I’m saying is you can’t really point fingers so enjoy your relationship for what it is and see where it goes cause you both are making some faux pas moves here.

2 weeks is moving fast. Take it slow and see how you feel after 2 months, at least! Establish a great friendship first and take it from there. Get to know his personality and true character before professing any love. Be a good read of character first and foremost because character is the only thing that matters and the only thing that endures.

He's only 18, that's understandable.

If he were say, 25, I would really question that, but at 18, you're still learning about life, yourself, your own feelings, etc.

All you need to do is nicely tell him that you think saying "I love you" this early, is too soon and could he wait until you've gotten to know each other better. (Like a couple months).

I think that's all you'd need to say.

Just don't hold it over his head that you know more due to being in a 5 year relationship and he hasn't had one yet. You'll emasculate him and make him feel belittled and there's no reason to do that since you're both so young and both still learning.

(Not saying you were going to do that, but just wanted to put it out there).

Give the guy a chance, he sounds really sweet and it's just because it's new. That's a good thing and a happy thing.

Much better than a guy who's a player or ghosts women.

If I were you, I'd just enjoy the young love and innocence of it all. It doesn't last long at all.

You both don't sound compatible. The reason is because he's much more inexperienced than you are and doesn't seem to approach dating in the same way. He also doesn't seem very emotionally in tune with you or smart enough to know that it's too soon (most young adults know this time frame is generally a little too fast). Seems socially awkward to me and even selfish, immature and impulsive as a proclamation of love generally expects love in return (he's put you on the spot!). Every time he says it it might grind on your nerves. Perhaps you're thinking: "Now how TF do YOU know what love is??" Or I can just imagine you wondering how presumptuous he is to even think he knows what love is after two weeks. At that point, you might want to check yourself as that's called resentment and annoyance.

You don't want resentment and annoyance building up like that so early and unchecked. Sorry, I'm calling a spade a spade and this just isn't natural or easygoing relationship. Too awkward and I think you're going to try your best to fit a square peg in a round hole because youth are often full of energy. Enjoy the journey though. Life's all about learning.

Context is important here. He may have said it only 2 weeks into the relationship but the OP stated that they were very good friends first, and I get the impression they've been friends for a while. In that case, saying "I love you" after 2 weeks as a couple isn't strange as he may have felt that way for some time before they even got together.

In any case, OP, it's okay to feel confronted by it, but keep in mind that it's young first time love. He's not a bad personal, just a bit eager. If you like who he is as a human being, then just go with the flow and know that you're under no obligation to feel any particular way towards him. As others have said - just let him know that it might take you a bit longer, so you want to take things slowly.

After 2 weeks of dating , you are both at the same pace. That is too fast.

He said he loves you. You said he is everything you want in a bf.

He doesn’t know you well enough to actually know if he will love you.

You don’t know him well enough to know if he actually is everything you want in a bf.

I realise you said you got out of a 5 yr relationship, but it was a child friendship more than a relationship.

No real stresses that an adult relationship has. And perhaps that ended once you both moved into adulthood and actually experienced a relationship only towards the demise. ?

At 18, I don’t really consider you being more experienced in an adult relationship.

This essentially is your first.

Take his words with a grain of salt. He doesn’t mean what he says.

Likewise treat your thoughts the same way. You really don’t know him that well yet despite a friendship first.

Tell him that you want to get to know him better , that saying I love you is too premature and that you just want to take it Day by day.

You don't sound ready to date. He sounds quite naive and probably thinks this is what he needs to say in order to get in your pants. Obviously after knowing you a grand total of 14 days, it's not true. Go at a pace that feels comfortable to you.

I am my boyfriend's first girlfriend and he told me he loves me after almost 2 tweeks.I had gotten out of a five year relationship (my first one) about 10 months ago,
Sorry I read that wrong.

Honestly, don't freak out. He probably really likes you and thinks what he is feeling is love. Don't crush him either for saying it. Just be honest and tell him you want to take things slow.

- Possibly.

But at 18, I did not say that until my girlfriend said it, and that was close to two months into the relationship.

It does sound a little weird when someone says "I love you" after only two weeks! I guess we'll have to see if this nice guys survives the dating process, lol.......please keep us updated!

Archived