I was with him for two years, I met him online, and later found out he was an addict. We had our share of up and downs in the first year; then suddenly my son passed away. Though he was there for me during that difficult time, his addiction came into play. There were times he would rage, get angry.... he would always tell me to go, or threaten to leave. At the end, he got bad on pills. I left.

He has since completely taking drugs, except for BP, and Harvoni. He said my leaving made him quit and he wants me to come back to him.

I've listened in to a few sessions of counciling with him, he seems to be on the right track, says he'll never touch another pill again.

Part of me wants to go to him, I miss him and love him. My friends say I'd be stupid to go back...I dont know what to do...please help me

Im sorry for the loss of your son. Good for him that he has changed his life. Sounds like you would only be going back because of familiarity and not because you were ever happy with him. Id say let him go. Let him get a fresh start with someone and you can do the same thing.

If you go back to him, you will always wondering if he will go back to the drugs. Do you really want to live like that? Start fresh with a new love.

Your friends are merely trying to protect you from the inevitable heartache of loving an addict.

The fact he has gone to counselling is reassuring and shows he is invested in his recovery. However, please be aware that it is a bumpy road and there will be relapses, mood swings, potential mental health issues and destructive thoughts/patterns.

I cannot fathom what you went through with the loss of your son and having to deal with his issues at the same time.

You are courageous and I admire your strength. Are you sure you want to go down this road with him?

I agree with Rose. An addict will always be an addict. It's good that he's trying to better himself, but there's no guarantee that he wont use again. He says he wont but there is no guarantee of that. One relapse could send you both right back to where you were before when it was bad. Listen to your friends.

Archived