Ex-boyfriend AND FAMILY coming into my place of work

This is a slightly longer explanation, but please stick with me! I haven’t seen any discussions about this type of situation before, and would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

My ex-boyfriend and I broke up over a year ago now. Mainly due to his controlling parents. It’s taken me a good few months to get over him, but I’ve slowly made progress and I’m now starting to feel ready to date someone new if I find the right person.

I have a full-time job but, at the weekends, I work in a handicrafts store for extra money (I’m the only staff member behind the till - this will become relevant).

For the past four weekends, my ex-boyfriend, his new girlfriend, his parents AND three siblings have randomly come into the store. I haven’t seen him or his family since our break-up.

On the first weekend, I thought they maybe didn’t know I worked there so happened to come in then see me working there. But it’s now happened four times so they know I’ll be there. All four weekends, they’ve never bought anything - they simply look around, his parents talk to me, and they act like it’s totally normal and fine to do so. His new girlfriend gives me awkward stares. And yet I can’t leave - I’m the only one running the store! This is my place of work and they are the ones coming in every weekend. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and I don’t like it.

Should I send him a message and say so? Or are they deliberately trying to make me feel uncomfortable? I don’t understand their motive. On the one hand, I want to speak up to say that they’re putting me in an uncomfortable situation. On the other hand, I don’t want to start up a stream of communication with him or give them the satisfaction of knowing they’ve made me feel uncomfortable. What should I do?! I now dread going to work at the store and having to stand there while they pretend to look around or ask me what I’m up to nowadays.

Has anyone experienced this? It’s a very weird situation and I’m not sure what to do. Any thoughts/advice very kindly appreciated.

Very strange indeed....

I would be uncomfortable too ... is this store was out of their way,? or right in their neighborhood? do they show up all together all the time (the 4 of them)?

I wouldn't send a message. I always keep my head high and don't let people know they affect me. So next time they are at your store, ask him, very casually, hey, I've noticed you guys have been coming every weekend lately, what exactly are you looking for?, how can I be of help? see what his reaction is, be super friendly though.

Kinda creepy. Unfortunately can't stop customers from coming in a store. Make sure he and All his people are deleted and blocked from All your social media and messaging apps. All you can do is be very busy and simply treat them like random customers, say 'can i help you find something', then get very busy with whatever or other customers.

No do not communicate with him/them because they have every right to shop/browse there. Simply be polite/succinct/busy...very busy. Even if you are just looking busy straightening out merchandise, whatever.

T the past four weekends, my ex-boyfriend, his new girlfriend, his parents AND three siblings have randomly come into the store. I haven’t seen him or his family since our break-up.

All four weekends, they’ve never bought anything - they simply look around, his parents talk to me, and they act like it’s totally normal and fine to do so. His new girlfriend gives me awkward stares.

Archived