Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prenuptial Agreements

I donít think they make sense for the vast majority of people who donít have significant (truly significant) assets - or hugely disproportionate assets. Beyond that, I wanted the financial arrangement in my marriage to basically be that all our money would be shared and all our accounts would be joint, so I wouldnít have wanted any agreement that laid out his and hers. (As it happened, we married with similar, minimal assets). And I donít like the idea of putting extensive thought into a plan B before marrying.

Prenuptial Agreements

Why are you talking about marriage? A week ago you were planning to dump him.

I like prenups and I will get one. I think itís better to negotiate in love than bank on playing fair should it come to divorce.

If you aren't comfortable with the default laws of your land upon entering marriage, I think prenups can be helpful for negotiating terms.
    I don't think it brings a voodoo curse or bad energy any more than drawing up a will does. It's simply not wanting it handled by default. I actually think there's something empowering about that. It's peace of mind of what will happen should it need to come into play.

My wife and I signed a prenuptial agreement. It was my idea despite being the one who has the most to gain from a default divorce. It is stipulated that should I make a move that compromises my career for the benefit of hers and / or we start a family, myself being the caregiver, every asset from then on is considered jointly-owned. But I don't feel myself entitled to half of whatever while still being a perfectly capable and independent guy, not bogged down by the responsibility of children. Divorce brings out the worst of people, and I don't consider it impractical or exceptionally pessimistic to take that into account.

Hopefully with the trend of people getting married later and those marriages lasting longer, we'll see a differing norm, but for now, it makes very practical sense to not assume yourselves any better or smarter than the statistical majority who have found themselves not working out.

Again, this is coming from a guy who could take my wife to the cleaners if I so much as found a stripper I wanted to bang more than her.

I thought the other day you said you were breaking up and that you have feelings for your Ex?? :confused:

"My bf and I are done, have been for a long time. Should've ended it three months ago, another bad on me."
    Last edited by Capricorn3; 03-31-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Originally Posted by Capricorn3
    I thought the other day you said you were breaking up?? :confused:

"My bf and I are done, have been for a long time. Should've ended it three months ago, another bad on me."
    I agree, I said the same thing

If there is 100% love and trust then you don't need one. If there is even the slightest of doubt then marriage might be the right idea.

It's best to talk to an attorney about the laws in your jurisdiction and of course each persons assets prior to marriage as well as circumstances such as wealth inequity, children, prior marriages, etc. Broad general theoretical discussions are basically pointless, because it is very individualized. It has nothing to do with love, trust, divorce rates, etc. The best thing you can do is talk to an attorney about your particular financial situation assets, liabilities, retirement accounts, etc and get rock solid advice regarding beneficiaries, divorce laws in you state, etc. Then make your assets bullet proof through trusts.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by katrina1980
    Is it cause of what I posted about it implying the marriage won't last, and that just takes the good energy out of it?
    This is not about insinuating something. Realistically speaking, there is always a chance to break up in the future whether you sign a prenup or not. Most things in life do not last forever and this is not a bad thing as we all tend to believe. Too much idealism leads to wrong decisions and frustration.

Platinum Member
    See post no. 10 re my bf.

We went through a rough patch (as many couples do), and the "feelings" I had for my ex were fleeting (as I suspected and posted about in previous thread).

As many advised, I was feeling sick, emotional and not in a good frame of mind to make any rational important decisions about my feelings or anything else. Good advice!

Anyway, to update, my bf and I have talked it all out and resolved. And feel closer than ever now.

As folks keep saying, communication is key. Works for us anyway! D

Thanks guys for your responses about the subject of this this thread -- prenups.

j.man I especially appreciated your response, given your relationship/marriage with your wife, but thank everyone who chimed in.

This was the first time my bf and I ever discussed marriage and if/when it happens, it will be down the road, not now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice