I am a nurse

I am a nursing,student i want to go to medical school when i finish nursing school i am trying to figure out with investing and real estate can i have a much higher net worth as a nurse then a physcian by age 40. Can someone do the math? Assuming i starts out making 65000 a year as RN and assuming i would do a 4 year residency after taking a year to apply to medical school. i am 29 years old now with a net worth of -100,010 (student loans).

I would likely borrow 100,000 plus,more to complete,medical school and not pay until i complete residency,

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loke why come on this site to be rude? Why comment if its just to be mean?

I’m not being mean. It’s true. HER money is none of your business. And why are you asking us to do the math?

For the record, I’m about 75% sure once you do the math, your assessment will be wrong.

I'm sure you've explained the numbers to her. What does she say about it?
I can't explain them well. Im guessing but no real math skills. I know stock market increases about 7% a year. She could invest 10,000 a year and still live more comfortable then a medical student.
Doctors make a lot more than a nurse. Overtime she will make a lot more money being a doctor .
But how much is 4 years of medical school? Im asking someone who invest, you can invest and what do you make? She has to do medical school and residency she will be 38 when she finishes so that's 2 years of "a lot more money" compared to 10 years of nurse oay with investing
But how much is 4 years of medical school? Im asking someone who invest, you can invest and what do you make? She has to do medical school and residency she will be 38 when she finishes so that's 2 years of "a lot more money" compared to 10 years of nurse oay with investing

Doesn't matter. She wants to be a doctor.

OK ,well compare 300,000 to 65,000. Overtime as a doctor she will make a lot more money than a nurse does it’s just a fact . When she’s a doctor $10,000 will be a pee in a bucket .

OK ,well compare 300,000 to 65,000. Overtime as a doctor she will make a lot more money than a nurse does it’s just a fact . When she’s a doctor $10,000 will be a pee in a bucket .
Not mant doctors make 300,000 a year the ones that do have longer residencies the only residencies she would complete before age 38 pay less then 200,000. Primary care makes 160,000 a year, so she would,make that for 2 years. Or as a nurse invest 10,000 a year for 5 years at approximately 7% annual return. After 5 she uses it as a down payment on a house.

Also she already owes 100,010 in student loans if she doesbt start paying and goes to medical school that will increase by 6.8% a year. While she takes out 100000 for medical school, and if,she waits till she is done with residency at 38 years old she will owe over 350,000 in loans and make 160,000 a year, and many doctors i know are salary....

Not mant doctors make 300,000 a year the ones that do have longer residencies the only residencies she would complete before age 38 pay less then 200,000. Primary care makes 160,000 a year, so she would,make that for 2 years. Or as a nurse invest 10,000 a year for 5 years at approximately 7% annual return. After 5 she uses it as a down payment on a house.

Also she already owes 100,010 in student loans if she doesbt start paying and goes to medical school that will increase by 6.8% a year. While she takes out 100000 for medical school, and if,she waits till she is done with residency at 38 years old she will owe over 350,000 in loans and make 160,000 a year, and many doctors i know are salary....

Ok, but it doesn’t matter. If she wants to be a doctor she wants to be a doctor . Why are you so invested in what she wants to be ?

I think you're overestimating the stock market - I lost a ton of money last year, the market ended the year with a negative. I wouldn't trust a 7% annual return if my life depended on it.

Agree investing in real estate is a great idea, but she seems pretty set on being on doctor so no sense in getting yourself worked up about it, don't ya think?

It's her life after all.

Unless she's your "girlfriend" (as in romantic RL) and you plan on marrying her or something, is that's what's going on?

And you're concerned about your future?

Ok, but it doesn’t matter. If she wants to be a doctor she wants to be a doctor . Why are you so invested in what she wants to be ?
I don't understand why everyone is so rude. Its a question she and i want to figure out, she doesnt want to be one over the other she wants a higher net worth by age 40 would you ppl answer the question if i put I want to be a doctor? Lets say its hypothetical which would have a higher net worth given these facts
I don't understand why everyone is so rude. Its a question she and i want to figure out, she doesnt want to be one over the other she wants a higher net worth by age 40 would you ppl answer the question if i put I want to be a doctor? Lets say its hypothetical which would have a higher net worth given these facts

I’m not being rude I’m just asking why you’re so invested . Hopefully you’re not asking us how to guess what the stock market is going to be in 10 years . Because who knows. Many people lost their shirt in 2008 and are just gaining their money back now . It happened to us.

I think you're overestimating the stock market - I lost a ton of money last year, the market ended the year with a negative. I wouldn't trust a 7% annual return if my life depended on it.

Agree investing in real estate is a great idea, but she seems pretty set on being on doctor so no sense in getting yourself worked up about it, don't ya think?

It's her life after all.

Unless she's your "girlfriend" (as in romantic RL) and you plan on marrying her or something, is that's what's going on?

And you're concerned about your future?

7% is average so it can lose 20% and gain 32% the next year over 10 years if you make regular investments (or don't touch at all) return will average a 7% return

Archived