Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING -- Yoga Pose Led to a Stroke!

Platinum Member

WARNING -- Yoga Pose Led to a Stroke!

Hi guys, so I just read the story on Instagram about a woman doing Yoga, and a particular yoga pose led to her having a stroke.

I don't know if any of you remember but a couple of years ago, I was doing yoga, similar pose, and damaged a nerve in my neck that led to severe pain and intense itching while healing. It took months to heal.

In reading about this, the woman having a stroke, to anyone doing yoga, please be careful!!

I pushed myself with that pose, I was in no way ready for it, my instructor advised against it, but I was cocky and did it anyway.

Please be careful! Some of these yoga poses can be very dangerous!

Can you link the story or the pose you are talking about? Very curious.

Which pose is it? Do you have an image of the pose?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Can you link the story or the pose you are talking about? Very curious.
    Not from my tablet unfortunately (don't have that function).

I am off work this week otherwise I'd link it from office computer.

Platinum Member
    Guys, Google "yoga pose led to stroke" and you will find it.

It was an over extension of her neck.

I had a neck injury from a yoga pose as well. Took ages with the chiro (no cracking just tendon manipulation) and a massage therapist to correct it.

I don't know the name of it but it was where you lie on back and thrust your hips up off the floor.

Yeah, my friend just injured her leg doing yoga. You have to be careful and not show off.

That said, people get injured all the time from sports/exercise. It's just part of the risk. Sad when it's a serious thing like a stroke though.

I just do static contraction lifting these days, with a very limited range of motion. sometimes I get sore, but injuries are rare. But, my knee was bothering me for a few months because of a leg press machine - I've learned to use less weight and more reps on that machine to prevent further problems.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    I had a neck injury from a yoga pose as well. Took ages with the chiro (no cracking just tendon manipulation) and a massage therapist to correct it.

I don't know the name of it but it was where you lie on back and thrust your hips up off the floor.
    It's called The Bridge. :)

Great exercise!

Apparently the position is called "hollowback handstand." Didn't know the name until now, but saw my wife attempting that **** awhile back and put an end to that right away. There's zero reason to position your head like that, beneath a significant amount of weight and kinetic energy should your abs give out and you roll posterially like a Swiss cake roll. I can near guarantee that's what happened, resulting in the pressing and hyper-extension of her neck and the tearing of the artery, as SL mentions above. All it takes is one time, and the lady is fortunate.

Accidents and injuries can happen with any physical activity. The idea is for a mistake to potentially result in something less than... death. Years back had to chew out a guy attempting barbell guillotine presses without a spotter and with decent weight. Most often, there's a significantly less risky option, even if not absolutely, 100% functionally comparable but more than proportionately safer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice