WARNING -- Yoga Pose Led to a Stroke!

Hi guys, so I just read the story on Instagram about a woman doing Yoga, and a particular yoga pose led to her having a stroke.

I don't know if any of you remember but a couple of years ago, I was doing yoga, similar pose, and damaged a nerve in my neck that led to severe pain and intense itching while healing. It took months to heal.

In reading about this, the woman having a stroke, to anyone doing yoga, please be careful!!

I pushed myself with that pose, I was in no way ready for it, my instructor advised against it, but I was cocky and did it anyway.

Please be careful! Some of these yoga poses can be very dangerous!

Yeah, my friend just injured her leg doing yoga. You have to be careful and not show off.

That said, people get injured all the time from sports/exercise. It's just part of the risk. Sad when it's a serious thing like a stroke though.

I just do static contraction lifting these days, with a very limited range of motion. sometimes I get sore, but injuries are rare. But, my knee was bothering me for a few months because of a leg press machine - I've learned to use less weight and more reps on that machine to prevent further problems.

I had a neck injury from a yoga pose as well. Took ages with the chiro (no cracking just tendon manipulation) and a massage therapist to correct it.

I don't know the name of it but it was where you lie on back and thrust your hips up off the floor.

It's called The Bridge. :)

Great exercise!

Apparently the position is called "hollowback handstand." Didn't know the name until now, but saw my wife attempting that **** awhile back and put an end to that right away. There's zero reason to position your head like that, beneath a significant amount of weight and kinetic energy should your abs give out and you roll posterially like a Swiss cake roll. I can near guarantee that's what happened, resulting in the pressing and hyper-extension of her neck and the tearing of the artery, as SL mentions above. All it takes is one time, and the lady is fortunate.

Accidents and injuries can happen with any physical activity. The idea is for a mistake to potentially result in something less than... death. Years back had to chew out a guy attempting barbell guillotine presses without a spotter and with decent weight. Most often, there's a significantly less risky option, even if not absolutely, 100% functionally comparable but more than proportionately safer.

Love yoga. I agree with everyone's general idea above about not overextending and managing your limitations. From what I'm understanding about yoga it's a state of mind too(self-awareness and mindfulness). I don't think being cocky helps. Sorry.

No being cocky doesn't help! I've since learned.

I was the same years ago skiing. Thought I was a real hotshot. LOL.

Fell bad, nearly broke my leg!

Thank you j.man for the info!

No being cocky doesn't help! I've since learned.

I was the same years ago skiing. Thought I was a real hotshot. LOL.

Fell bad, nearly broke my leg!

Thank you j.man for the info!

Don't feel bad. I've done the same sea kayaking. Nearly broke my neck in half but no surgery needed. Just a large dose of T3s and some physio.

So many people I talk to think yoga is the safest exercise there is... and yet I have heard many stories of people overextending muscles in their back, neck and injuring their knees doing yoga, especially hot yoga.

I often get lectured on the dangers of CrossFit, however the reality is that any form of exercise can be dangerous if we take it to the extreme!

It's important to listen to our bodies no matter what we are doing, even if it's just walking uphill.

This isn't new. I remember 10-15 years ago warnings about downward dog and brain anerysms. Not that they cause them - you are born with them, but they can burst if stress is put on the blood vessels.

That's how my dad died. Minor fall and next thing we know he's dead from a brain aneurysm.

RIP dad. Xoxo

Archived