In-law problem

Monmouth

Hi this is my first post.

I live by myself & last night I called my brother in law & then my niece who live miles away from me & who I hardly see.

I'd had a few drinks & my brother in law was talking about his recent knee operation & I could hardly get a word in.

Right at the end of the conversation he asked me how I was. Anyway I texted my girlfriend about it saying how much he was

swearing about his sore knee & that I found it funny about how I got a mention at what was the end of the conversation.

Anyway it turned out that I had sent the message to my niece (his daughter) instead of my girlfriend. It wasn't a bad message &

I didn't mean to cause offence but I messaged her then rang her to apologize & expressed my regret.

I truly care for my family & I feel so embarrassed & ashamed. My niece said to forget about it & that she loves me but I sense a rift between us now.

She hasn't told her father about the message.

Should I ring & apologize again to her or should I wait & hope it blows over. Like I said it's nothing really serious but I feel awful!

I'd say wait a while, then apologise again and then move on.

Thanks for your reply. I already sent another grovelling apology & my niece accepted it with grace.

I just hope the brother in law never finds out. It'll be a while until I message them again!:eek:

You apologized already.

An apology is only needed once if you meant it.

Bringing significance to something makes it significant.

Meaning if you dwell on it and call again to bring it up you are bringing more awareness to the incident. Don't say anything else about it. Just act like it never happened and if it's ever brought up in conversation just play it off as joking around and do an impersonation of your uncle complaining about his knee then say gotta love him.

You've told your niece that you were sincerely sorry, embarrassed and ashamed. Your niece accepted your apology and told you to forget about it. Therefore, take heed and forget about it. She hasn't told her father the message. No, don't apologize a second time and wait for this to blow over. Don't make this a major issue. And, double check before you hit the "send" button! Make sure it is sent to the correct recipient! Be careful!

Hey, Monmouth, welcome to EAN. Nice to see you!

I wouldn't text your niece again. It was an honest mistake and you didn't say anything bad. I once accidentally texted my boss a few details of an embarrassing doctor's appointment when it should have gone to my husband! It happens. I hope you, like me from now onwards, are more careful about ensuring that the right info goes to the right person when texting/emailing etc. Don't worry so much about it.

Hey, Monmouth, welcome to EAN. Nice to see you!

I wouldn't text your niece again. It was an honest mistake and you didn't say anything bad. I once accidentally texted my boss a few details of an embarrassing doctor's appointment when it should have gone to my husband! It happens. I hope you, like me from now onwards, are more careful about ensuring that the right info goes to the right person when texting/emailing etc. Don't worry so much about it.

Hi Rose Mosse nice to see you on here. Yes it was quite embarrassing & I won't be texting my niece or brother in law. Not for a little while anyway.

I'm looking forward to reading your always informative posts on this site. I'm sure the members will recognize how insightful you are!

Archived