Asking Girl Directly For More Time Alone?

AdAstra

Hi dudes/dudettes! I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first time posting. I would be super grateful for your advice on the most suitable course of action regarding the following situation.

I am a guy who is interested in a girl. We are both college freshmen. I would say I am slightly interested in her in a romantic way, but even more so I would like to get to know her better and become a closer friend of hers. We already are kind of friends; we eat lunch/dinner together when we run into each other at the dining hall, occasionally we arrange those meetings as well. The problem is: whenever I invite her for dinner, she always invites one or two of her female friends to join us which alters the dynamic of social interaction and prevents me from getting to know her, and just her, better.

Should I tell her directly that I would like to spend more time with her alone? Or do you think that, because she always invites her friends along, she has no interest in becoming closer to me?

I am particularly confused about her reluctance to arrange to have dinner with me alone given that, when we run into each and do have dinner alone, she always seems really excited and smiling and generally happy to talk to me.

What's the rush?

I am sorry, but I think I do not understand this question. There is no rush in the sense that someone is dying, but we have known each other for 7 months and have probably had 40-50 meals together or together with her friends. I am very interested in her and always love asking her deeper and more thoughtful questions when we are alone, but with her friends around the conversation turns into awkward small talk.

Ask her out of an official date and make it clear it's a 1:1 date and not with a group of friends. If she continues to insist upon group settings, then there's your answer. Back off, don't set your hopes up too high and give her what she wants such as group friendship. Either remain patient passed 7 mos, maybe she'll warm up to you someday which will lead to a relationship or be resigned into thinking that friendship is as far as it will go and respect her wishes.

I’m a girl so when I bring my friends along to meet a guy it means I don’t want him to get the idea that Its a date. But she can also be shy. I say go for it and ask her on a actual “Date”. Not hangout. Tell her you think she’s beautiful and would like to pursue being more than just friends. If she says no then it’s okay, at least you tried. Move on to someone who’s going to see you that way. Good luck!

I'm of the opinions that because she always invites her friends along, she does not have interest in your romantically. The only way you will know for sure is to ask her out directly, if you know of an interest she has and can find tickets to an event that includes one of her interests, then you will look particularly interested in her, it says a notch more than just a dinner date does. But be prepared if she isn't interested in you romantically, the awkwardness that ensues after asking her out and her rejecting the offer, might mean the end of the friendship you have established so far. Only you know if it is worth that risk. Good luck!

Archived