Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Accidental plagiarism

Gold Member
    When you write a summary of a paper:

Pick out the key ideas from the paper as you read (Take short notes, not word for word sentences). Make sure you understand the key ideas demonstrated in the article.

Organize the your notes in a logical way. (Brainstorming diagram is what I like) Write down your graph just like you are writing a research paper. In this way, you'll be introducing the concepts in your own words. Paraphrase from main article if necessary but keep it very minimal, but do not copy the paper and just change the words. You have to demonstrate your own understanding of the concepts (key ideas you wrote down earlier). Then form your own conclusion about what you learned.

Originally Posted by Nickel Speed
    When you write a summary of a paper:

Pick out the key ideas from the paper as you read (Take short notes, not word for word sentences). Make sure you understand the key ideas demonstrated in the article.

Organize the your notes in a logical way. (Brainstorming diagram is what I like) Write down your graph just like you are writing a research paper. In this way, you'll be introducing the concepts in your own words. Paraphrase from main article if necessary but keep it very minimal, but do not copy the paper and just change the words. You have to demonstrate your own understanding of the concepts (key ideas you wrote down earlier). Then form your own conclusion about what you learned.
    Thank you, thank you! I'll put this into practice immediately!

Originally Posted by LHGirl
    You made a mistake, you owned up to it, you went to your professor as soon as you realized the mistake, and you seem to understand the consequences if it ever happens again.

I feel you did the right thing here, and that you have a full understanding of the situation.

With all the college cheating garbage going on right now, I applaud you for taking responsibility.
    Thank you, you're very kind

Originally Posted by j.man
    That is precisely what I wrote.
    I must have mis-read your post. ;)

You were honest, upfront, came clean with your professor, forgiven because you won't repeat plagiarism again so put this behind you. Don't continue to beat yourself up about this. You did the right thing regarding telling the truth as opposed to being discovered later or never admitting to your professor in the first place. Live and learn.

Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Not exactly true. Even if you paraphrase another person's words, they are still not your own and the words must be cited, according to MLA.
    On my thesis (and all university works) I'd take from sources written in English (most of the scientific articles from reputable sources are written in English in my field) and then rewrite the facts/ideas in my language in my own words. And still I'd include the source at the end. Sometimes a statement would have several sources if found in several article or if I had to choose I'd put the oldest article as source (the original one that came up with that statement).

My thesis was a review work of a subject, so I had to compile information from many sources. I had dozens and dozens of pages just with my sources.

Botton line I agree with you and the rules from my university were clear: everything that you didn't came up with has to be cited in the end of the work with a little number on the referring part of the text and at the end.

I knew of cases in my university that the people had just paraphrased articles without citation and still were caught. There was also a guy that once copied a whole work from a university student from another land that speaks our language and he forgot to change one word that is not used in our country. The teacher got suspicious and somehow found the university it was taken from, send them emails, they sent her the original work and she found out the thesis had been copied in it's totality. The teacher was going to give him perfect score had she not found that word in the middle of the thesis that made her suspicious. I think he was expelled but I'm not sure since it happened years before.

Getting back to topic and to the OP: you've apologised and were forgiven. You've learned and now you can use this knee knowledge to do better. It'll be fine.

Some advice:

- Never copy excerpts of the original articles into your document. If possible print them/part you want to take from and highlight what you want to take from it. Then rewrite it in your own words.

- when in doubt cite the earliest article that you find with that information (in case you have many articles with the same information)

- use a good sources organiser. I recommend Mendeley. If helped me a lot.

- keep all the articles to a certain work organized in a folder named and numbered properly. If it's to many articles organise them in several folders named with the part of your work that it refers to.

It's much easier and faster if you organise everything well from the beginning.

Originally Posted by Annia
    Getting back to topic and to the OP: you've apologised and were forgiven. You've learned and now you can use this knee knowledge to do better. It'll be fine.

Some advice:

- Never copy excerpts of the original articles into your document. If possible print them/part you want to take from and highlight what you want to take from it. Then rewrite it in your own words.

- when in doubt cite the earliest article that you find with that information (in case you have many articles with the same information)

- use a good sources organiser. I recommend Mendeley. If helped me a lot.

- keep all the articles to a certain work organized in a folder named and numbered properly. If it's to many articles organise them in several folders named with the part of your work that it refers to.

It's much easier and faster if you organise everything well from the beginning.
    Thanks so much for the organizing tips! I had all my I text citations along with the full source citation on top before the summary. I guess I gotta summarize better so I plan on using the advice all you commenters gave me!

Again, thank you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice