Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accidental plagiarism

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Paraphrasing with citations, right?

And adding your own spin to it? Making it reflect your thoughts?
    Exactly! And using their research to support my paper (of course with full and in text citations) with my opinions in there like you said.

I figured posting this would get bad reactions but I do like discussions and stuff as any outside info is valuable and so far I've gotten A LOT of good replies

I don't think anyone's being aggressive. It just seemed an awful lot like you very fundamentally and dangerously had your own version of academic integrity in your head. Folks are doing you a kindness really drilling it home. You can submit a fully quoted paper, and so long as you've properly cited it, you're not going to get dinged for plagiarism. In fact, if you ever have to conduct a meta analysis or write a legal case review, that's pretty much precisely what you'll be doing. But in your case, with proper citations, you'd just be stating up front, "Hey, this isn't my paper. Here you go." You're just going to get a zero and your paper ripped up for it being a fully-quoted paper. That you were potentially on the hook for academic dishonesty would suggest there was much more wrong with the paper than not rewording something.
    Last edited by j.man; 03-22-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Not being aggressive. Just making sure you understand this isnít funny, silly, or anything like that.
    I think I was pretty clear that I knew how bad I messed up on this and I didn't defend what I did in any of my comments either. Just because you know a lot on the topic and I'm assuming you're very good at summary and citing and all that because you were a TA I understand how to you I might be coming off as not understanding how big of an issue this is but again, I wasn't defending, I was explaining.

Originally Posted by j.man
    I don't think anyone's being aggressive. It just seemed an awful lot like you very fundamentally and dangerously had your own version of academic integrity in your head. Folks are doing you a kindness really drilling it home. You can submit a fully quoted paper, and so long as you've properly cited it, you're not going to get dinged for plagiarism. The citations and quotes are stating up front, "Hey, this isn't my paper. Here you go." You're just going to get a zero and your paper ripped up for it being a fully-quoted paper. That you were potentially on the hook for academic dishonesty would suggest there was much more wrong with the paper than not rewording something.
    Hahaha I'd have to want to waste my whole tuition to hand in a fully quoted paper! Omg, I think that's really funny but I also don't have the spare money to retake courses for a joke, though I wish I did

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by egyptianmau

I guess I should change my strategy in writing summaries so this doesn't happen again lol.. Lesson learned, just gotta find another way to do these that won't put me in this position :v
    So in your mind, cheating is okay, you just have to try harder so as to not get caught?

How about doing the research yourself, forming your own conclusions, and summarize with those conclusions?

Take a writing class if you don't feel you summarize well.

What you're doing is the lazy way out, and you're taking a huge chance of getting yourself expelled.

Originally Posted by egyptianmau
    Hahaha I'd have to want to waste my whole tuition to hand in a fully quoted paper! Omg, I think that's really funny but I also don't have the spare money to retake courses for a joke, though I wish I did
    This is why I wrote what I wrote... the way you write makes it seem like this is one big joke to you...

This is why I wrote what I wrote... the way you write makes it seem like this is one big joke to you...
    Oh, sorryi came off that way, I didn't mean too. I was honestly just glad people took time to comment and honestly I got the info/advice I needed so I'm not worried about this happening again. Since it wasn't your intent to be aggressive, I'm sorry I took it that way. I'm over it and like one commenter said I'll learn from it and move on

Gold Member
    Don't reword anything. Draw your own conclusions and write your own words. Read about the subject, brainstorm, write it all down. Put it all together. Then it's not possible to plagiarize.

Originally Posted by Nickel Speed
    Don't reword anything. Draw your own conclusions and write your own words. Read about the subject, brainstorm, write it all down. Put it all together. Then it's not possible to plagiarize.
    How do you do that in regards to writing a summary about a research article?

I do have to write a research paper using these articles so that's the plan for the actual paper. But if I can do that for writing summaries even a link to something would be great! But of course you don't have to and I'll use my fingers to google things

Platinum Member
    You made a mistake, you owned up to it, you went to your professor as soon as you realized the mistake, and you seem to understand the consequences if it ever happens again.

I feel you did the right thing here, and that you have a full understanding of the situation.

With all the college cheating garbage going on right now, I applaud you for taking responsibility.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice