Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Accidental plagiarism

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    51
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by j.man
    Yeah, you can't avoid citing just by paraphrasing. I get you could get knocked down quite a few points for not demonstrating an understanding enough to put a concept or information into your own words, but so long as you provide proper citations, there's pretty much no way you should be getting dinged for academic dishonesty. That kinda takes an effort to accomplish by accident. Maybe your school and field's a bit more lax, but that'd be an even better reason to stand out above your peers by employing more integrity in your academic writing.
    The full citations were listed before the summary of each paper. I guess I should change my strategy in writing summaries so this doesn't happen again lol.. Lesson learned, just gotta find another way to do these that won't put me in this position :v

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    51
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    It happens. The point is you spoke with your professor and you got the affirmation from her that you are receiving a warning and your entire course grade is not jeopardized. Learn from this and let it go. You may feel mortified but the trick is in learning from your mistakes and not making them again. Move forwards.

    One of my undergraduate degrees is in the arts. A degree takes awhile to earn. I've written a few of papers in my time - some clear, some not so clear, some cited well and others not so well. While you're earning that degree, mistakes happen. Keep learning. It will get easier and easier with time. What you're doing during your education is practicing your skills. Keep practicing. One day when you are a professor yourself or an expert in your area or when you are publishing studies of your own, you will be a lesson yourself to your students and have a number of bloopers to share. Take it in stride and keep practicing.
    Thank you for your comment, I literally felt like my education was doomed ahaha ill have to be extra careful this doesn't happen again and change my summary writing ways

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    51
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    You shouldnít get in the habit of copying and pasting things into papers unless youíre intending to do it as a quote.

    Most universities can expel you over this.
    Yea, you're right. I completely forgot quoting was a thing cause I write a lot of lab reports and I was told I can't use quotations. So this was just me being stupid on all parts haha.

    My professor told me about the expelling thing too but since it was a first ever offense and it's never happened in my years of uni I think she was a little nicer to me about it

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    51
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Get a copy of the MLA handbook and memorize it.
    Ahaha I've memorized APA so I'm good on that front. This was just me being stupid on all fronts. I was panicking but I've calmed down now so I'm going back and paraphrasing

  5.  

  6. #15
    Platinum Member Rose Mosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,663
    Gender
    Female
    Sarah was a teacher. I would take her advice on the MLA if this is for English.
    I cited under APA as well in my undergrad for social sciences and MLA for English courses. Follow closely the citation instructions that your professor gives you.

  7. #16
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,932
    Originally Posted by egyptianmau
    Yea, you're right. I completely forgot quoting was a thing cause I write a lot of lab reports and I was told I can't use quotations. So this was just me being stupid on all parts haha.

    My professor told me about the expelling thing too but since it was a first ever offense and it's never happened in my years of uni I think she was a little nicer to me about it
    Stop making excuses. Even in lab reports, you SHOULD NOT copy and paste. It NEEDS to be in your own words.

    I was a TA for an English class. If I saw anything like this, I would immediately have to report it to the academic dishonesty council. Itís a group of peers that assess if you should stay in school, keep your scholarships, even pass the class.

    This is serious.

  8. #17
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,932
    Originally Posted by egyptianmau
    Ahaha I've memorized APA so I'm good on that front. This was just me being stupid on all fronts. I was panicking but I've calmed down now so I'm going back and paraphrasing
    Paraphrasing with citations, right?

    And adding your own spin to it? Making it reflect your thoughts?

  9. #18
    Platinum Member j.man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,359
    Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Not exactly true. Even if you paraphrase another person's words, they are still not your own and the words must be cited, according to MLA.
    That is precisely what I wrote.

  10. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    51
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Stop making excuses. Even in lab reports, you SHOULD NOT copy and paste. It NEEDS to be in your own words.

    I was a TA for an English class. If I saw anything like this, I would immediately have to report it to the academic dishonesty council. Itís a group of peers that assess if you should stay in school, keep your scholarships, even pass the class.

    This is serious.
    Hey, it wasn't an excuse just a reason no need to get so defensive. I understand what i did and I owned up to it so Im not understanding why you're being so aggressive?

  11. #20
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,932
    Originally Posted by egyptianmau
    Hey, it wasn't an excuse just a reason no need to get so defensive. I understand what i did and I owned up to it so Im not understanding why you're being so aggressive?
    Not being aggressive. Just making sure you understand this isnít funny, silly, or anything like that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •