LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: After death, new dog or not?

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I'm sorry about your loss!! So no personal experience but one dear friend did get another dog after their beloved older dog passed away -within maybe a year or less? Then I have a friend who just lost her elderly dog -maybe 15 years old -and I am reluctant to ask but I sense she's not in a rush because she really did take it hard - understandably! Also she has two young children and might not want to take on a puppy or foster right now. Wish you the best.
    Thank you for your kind words, Batya33. I appreciated it very much. Thank you for sharing your stories about your friends. It was unbearable for your friend so he / she got another dog within a year of his / her dog's passing. Then your other friend is an extremely busy, young mother of small children so it's understandable that she is reluctant to take on another responsibility for another life right now. Thank you, Batya33.

Sometimes love follows a commitment, and not the other way around. My cat, Layla, grew ill at the same time my sister had rescued a lap cat, Butch. Problem was first perceived to be her adult male dog, Miles, who went out of his skull over the adult male addition. Miles was too well behaved to cross a kitchen barrier without permission, and so Butch would wander up to the barrier just outside of Miles' reach. And sit there. When sister would invite Miles to the family room, he would plow past the cat to join the family. Then the cat would sneak into the kitchen unnoticed, make his way over to the dog's water dish, and pee in it.

No wonder Miles was not happy with Butch.

Butch got caught by one of the kids and was promptly relegated to the garage during the night. While he was permitted free roam of the property during the day, he was no longer allowed into the house. A search for a new home had begun for Butch.

Layla died shortly afterward, and when I called my sister for sympathy, she gave a quick "Awww," before suggesting that I take Butch. I couldn't stand the thought of him sleeping in a garage, and so I showed up to claim him within a day. The drive home in the carrier really upset him, but he seemed curious to explore my place when I opened the carrier.

I guess I should have 'showed' him the litter instead of placing him directly in it while he was still frazzled from the drive. He jumped out, grabbed my ankle, bit me, then ran off into my bedroom. I hollered after him, "Now I know why you were in a shelter!"

I already knew that I would not send Butch back to a shelter. I'd committed, and Butch had immediately returned to his friendly, unfazed self by the time I checked on him in my bedroom. Sure, it was difficult to learn a new cat's personality while I still grieved for my Layla, but my focus was more invested in preventing Butch's homelessness than on begrudging him for not 'replacing' my prior pet.

In short time I fell in love with Butch in a way that still honored the differences between both animals. As predicted, he was clean and cooperative minus other male competition, and I couldn't have asked for a more loving companion. I never regretted taking in Butch so soon. I believe that he helped me to heal.

Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Sometimes love follows a commitment, and not the other way around. My cat, Layla, grew ill at the same time my sister had rescued a lap cat, Butch. Problem was first perceived to be her adult male dog, Miles, who went out of his skull over the adult male addition. Miles was too well behaved to cross a kitchen barrier without permission, and so Butch would wander up to the barrier just outside of Miles' reach. And sit there. When sister would invite Miles to the family room, he would plow past the cat to join the family. Then the cat would sneak into the kitchen unnoticed, make his way over to the dog's water dish, and pee in it.

No wonder Miles was not happy with Butch.

Butch got caught by one of the kids and was promptly relegated to the garage during the night. While he was permitted free roam of the property during the day, he was no longer allowed into the house. A search for a new home had begun for Butch.

Layla died shortly afterward, and when I called my sister for sympathy, she gave a quick "Awww," before suggesting that I take Butch. I couldn't stand the thought of him sleeping in a garage, and so I showed up to claim him within a day. The drive home in the carrier really upset him, but he seemed curious to explore my place when I opened the carrier.

I guess I should have 'showed' him the litter instead of placing him directly in it while he was still frazzled from the drive. He jumped out, grabbed my ankle, bit me, then ran off into my bedroom. I hollered after him, "Now I know why you were in a shelter!"

I already knew that I would not send Butch back to a shelter. I'd committed, and Butch had immediately returned to his friendly, unfazed self by the time I checked on him in my bedroom. Sure, it was difficult to learn a new cat's personality while I still grieved for my Layla, but my focus was more invested in preventing Butch's homelessness than on begrudging him for not 'replacing' my prior pet.

In short time I fell in love with Butch in a way that still honored the differences between both animals. As predicted, he was clean and cooperative minus other male competition, and I couldn't have asked for a more loving companion. I never regretted taking in Butch so soon. I believe that he helped me to heal.
    Wow, thank you for sharing your touching story, catfeeder. I'm so sorry for your loss. Never was a pet better cared for or loved.

Your sister and you had quite the journey with Butch. (I don't blame Miles' resentment.)

You have a great heart for giving Butch a chance to prove his worth to you and now he fits right at home with you. He's loving, clean and cooperative as you had described. Thank you so much for sharing your heartwarming story and explaining how Butch helped you heal from your poignant memories of your beloved Layla. I really appreciated your kind words, catfeeder. Thank you.

I have a Bassett hound named Saggy Maggy...she just turned 5...I got her when she was 9 weeks old. I love her so much 💕...so I understand how sad you must feel. I had a lab before Maggie who passed away ...but I waited over a year before I was ready to get another dog. I think I may get a second dog as Maggie gets older because I donít like how hard it is losing a pet ..and having that horrible void in my life...

Thank you JA0371 and everyone here. I appreciated your replies. I'm very sorry for your loss regarding your beloved lab. Furry friends are truly man's (woman's) best friend.

I was never a dog person all my life until I had my Golden Retriever ever since she was a puppy. She changed me. She taught me the meaning of loyalty, real companionship and devotion. She didn't have a mean bone in her body.

The upside after she passed away was life became more convenient and less expensive. After she left, suddenly there is more time albeit lonely time. My house feels empty. I love dogs but they're a huge responsibility and commitment. Perhaps I'll be ready in a year or two for a new dog but not now. It's too soon. I also need to be realistic about finances and extra busyness in my household.

She taught me a lot. I hate to say this but I feel dogs are better than people. I meant great dogs are better than people. She never disrespected me and she was never rude towards me. This is why I call her a saint which is well deserved. She earned it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice