Possible to be allergic to toxins from streptococcus A?

I recently had a case of streptococcus. I’ve been taking antibiotics for three days ( have to take it for another seven ). My last case was quite a few years ago . My last case though was so severe that my throat swelled, the outside of my neck was swollen and my tongue was swollen right out of my mouth . The person at the hospital who ran the lab said my strep count was so high I should have been dead . Actually she called me at home because in her 15 years of running that lab she had never seen a strep count that high . It left me with being a strep carrier .

This time in a matter of a day and a half my tonsils had swollen almost to the point they were closing my throat the nurse at the clinic said my glands were huge and she could see the swelling on the outside of my neck . She actually cringed when she looked inside my mouth . She said my throat was horrendous.

Unfortunately ,right now I have no family doctor I just go to whatever walk in clinic has the least amount of wait time .

I’m wondering if it’s actually possible to be allergic to the toxins that strep causes? Now I know of course that strep throat causes swelling but this is an inordinate amount of swelling and it happens less than 24 hours after symptoms start.

I have no swelling now after taking the antibiotic it’s not the antibiotic it was happening before I even went to the doctor . As far as I know I have zero allergies to antibiotics . As I said after about two doses of antibiotics I had no swelling at all .

What's the antibiotic, and could you be allergic to that?

It just sounds like you are particularly susceptible to this bacteria. As in your immune system doesn't seem to fight it very well, thus it tends to multiply out of control so fast and also why antibiotics work so quickly. The latter fortunately for you. It's just something to be aware of, so if you suspect strep infection, run to the nearest clinic as fast as you can. Not much you can do about it really beyond just knowing what you need to get a handle on it and not delaying it.

It just sounds like you are particularly susceptible to this bacteria. As in your immune system doesn't seem to fight it very well, thus it tends to multiply out of control so fast and also why antibiotics work so quickly. The latter fortunately for you. It's just something to be aware of, so if you suspect strep infection, run to the nearest clinic as fast as you can. Not much you can do about it really beyond just knowing what you need to get a handle on it and not delaying it.

Absolutely. Because I have severe swelling before I even know it is strep. By the time I feel the pain it’s almost too late .

Archived