Liexoh

So its been 4 months and 2 weeks since my ex boyfriend broke up with me. I messaged him today about an important document I've been frantically searching for to see if by chance I might have left it at his place since that was where I last used it.

Anyways the short is that he said no he hasn't I said ok thanks and then he said "how are you doing Stranger?"

I didn't know that's what I had become in the space of 4 months so I just said I'm great but honestly it cut me inside. A few months ago he was telling me how much he loved and cared for me and today it was stranger.

I honestly don't know how people can discard you like you meant nothing at all, like you had no value. I still do love and care for him and I was so hurt that is what he called me. It made me sorry I ever messaged to ask a question.

Am I overthinking this or was that just his way of being polite/friendly?

Thanks!

You’re overthinking because you still have a lot of feelings for him, hopes connected to him.

It is just an expression—and, generally speaking, a fond one. Just a way of lightly acknowledging that it’s been a while since you’ve spoken—with good reason, this being a breakup—and genuinely asking how you’re doing.

That it’s thrown you like this is just evidence that you need some more time to heal.

I think it's just a figure of speech -- I don't think he meant it literally. It's more just saying "Hey, someone I haven't talked to in a bit!"

I understand why it hurts, though. I remember thinking the worst thing ever would be the day I saw my ex somewhere and he didn't acknowledge me. Funny, it was actually ME who has seen HIM a few places and walked on by pretending I didn't (what a difference the passage of time makes!) When we have talked, I've been cordial (we work at the same place and run into each other every so often), but I don't feel anything anymore. Someday, you'll get there.

I don’t want to get your hopes up or anything (so I’m hesitant to post this...)... but anytime I have used the term “stranger”, I have done so affectionately - and maybe even in a flirty way.

“Stranger” implies that you haven’t talked to them in a while and would like to talk to them more often. I would NEVER say that to someone I was unhappy to hear from and who I wanted to get rid of...

To me, it was warm and affectionate and playful.

To be honest, I think you are still hurting because I find your reaction kind of odd.

Archived