Does he like me or not?

FaithKader83

So I think I have been catching feels for this guy I met... I try not to expect anything but its very hard. So straight to the point, I like him but I don’t know if he likes me back. We basically text everyday and almost talk everyday (but only in games... not legit call each other sadly). We see each other once a week and everytime I do see him, sometimes he glances at me and does talk to me. Right now my title to him is ... friend... or best friend. The thing is, he also tells me that some certain girls are cute while we talk in game and all I say is “oh okay” because what else am I supposed to say?? It’s so hard 😭 maybe he’s trying to get me jealous orrrrrr he really just says it just because. He’s a bit shorter than me and idk if he likes girls a bit taller than him... also, it’s really hard to tell who he actually likes and who he just likes as a friend only because he had a lot of girl and guy friends. Also recently his ex girlfriend unblocked him and now they’re friends again on social media and like/comment on each other’s posts sometimes. Which I mean, there’s obviously nothing wrong with that... but I’m just scared because he might actually want to get back with her..what are your guy’s thoughts on this?

. We basically text everyday and almost talk everyday (but only in games... not legit call each other sadly). We see each other once a week and everytime I do see him, sometimes he glances at me and does talk to me.

The thing is, he also tells me that some certain girls are cute while we talk in game

Also recently his ex girlfriend unblocked him and now they’re friends again on social media and like/comment on each other’s posts sometimes. Which I mean, there’s obviously nothing wrong with that... but I’m just scared because he might actually want to get back with her..what are your guy’s thoughts on this?

So I picked the parts of your post that I would address first.

Seems to me that he just sees you as a friend but a good friend and obviously enjoys talking to you otherwise he would avoid you.

Him mentioning other girls being cute could be that he sees you as a friend only or he lacks maturity and is indeed trying to make you jealous... How old is he?

When you see each other irl, what type of scenario is it at, with other people, at a bar etc??

If I were you at this level, (being just friends, and before you reveal how you feel about him) I would ask about the ex girlfriend situation casually so you get that out of the way.

Some people are very shy and don't make a move until they are sure they are liked by the other person, so depending of how he is you may have to make the first move if you really want to find out... but beware ... he could not be into you and you must be ready for the rejection... which sucks to say the least.

Best of luck!

So we’re both 16 lol. An irl, we play @A vball sports complex and so there’s a lot of people. We occasionally play together but he mainly plays with his team to practice. Sometimes he sends very mixed signals. I havent addressed everything that happened but when I do text him, he sends mixed feelings lol. One time I didn’t text him the whole day and he texts and then after a while he texts “where were you?” And I said “wym?” And he said “you didn’t text me at all today” like mixed signals like that lol. We obviously say a lot more to each other but I won’t elaborate unless you ask because idk what I should elaborate on. Plsss help , I appreciate it.

It's hard to say. You both sound very young. Bringing up other girls he thinks are cute really presents the friendzone, but he could just be awkward and trying to ignite a little jealousy. He's also back with his ex-girlfriend, though they're "just friends." I absolutely would not trust that label, at all. Few people buddy up with their exes...very few. Adults who share children maintain communication and sometimes share a greater friendship, but very few remain pals if there is no common factor requiring continued communication. Someone is still smitten with the other if they're friends again. I would avoid this crush and potential relationship. Crush on someone else. Lot's of fish out there.

Ok, you're in the friendzone if he not only talks about other cute girls, but about his latest breakup. Be his friend if you want but date other boys.

No, he’s not dating anyone at the moment. Or at least that I know of. He just recently got out of a relationship and I was the one who was there to support him because he was telling me that he wasn’t feeling happy with her.
No, he’s not dating anyone at the moment. Or at least that I know of. He just recently got out of a relationship and I was the one who was there to support him because he was telling me that he wasn’t feeling happy with her.

Why would you “support” someone going through a break up when you actually have another agenda? How real was your “support”?

Was it done selflessly? Clearly not.

He is NOT giving you mixed signals when he asks why you haven’t texted. He is merely missing the daily contact with his ex that you have willingly substituted.

All you have successfully done with your “support” is gained a platonic and likely short lived friendship.

In future when you are interested in someone , let a friend be that support.

At this point I can only think that he sees you as a distraction. He welcomes the distraction but he is not interested . Sorry

Thank you everyone for your replies. By reading your replies, it broadens my view. I haven’t thought about if he just wants me to text him because he misses the daily texts or what. I really don’t know what he thinks so it’s hard to tell what he may say next. Maybe it is better to just be his friend at this point if he doesn’t feel like he reciprocates. I also don’t want to ruin our friendship because I like playing vball with him and practicing because he’s the only friend who knows how to play vball. How can I just view him as a friend and nothing more? How can I get rid of this feeling?

Also @Billie28 can you explain what you mean by “in the future, when you are interested in someone, let a friend be that support”?

Maybe he really does just like me as a friend but I just want to believe it can be something more.. coz sometimes i’ll Ask what he’s up to and then he say’ he’s doing hw (which in fact was doing) and I said that i’ll Ttyl him later since he needed to finish up. He said “noooooo. I’m done” and then he said “I have to do this, and then an then I’m done” and then I said that he wasn’t done so i’M going to stop texting him. I think about it... about what you said Billie28... maybe I’m just there as a distraction and likes it so he can stop doing his hw.... idk. Sometimes we make plans or he says he’ll pick me up after he gets his license and we’ll go places like vball or grab some food... lol but sometimes plans like that aren’t fulfilled because even my girl friends and I do that. How can I stop overthinking things like this and just see these texts as nothing more

Also, I’m reading back by what I meant by “supporting” I wasnt supporting him to break up with her. I’m not the type of person to be like “oh yeah, break up you’re not meant to be” type of person just for my own self to get with him. When I said support, I meant as in I supported him emotionally when he wasnt feeling well. When he wanted to rant I listened and showed that I cared.

I really think the only 100% way to know if he likes you in that way or not is to ask him straight out or not. I know that seems pretty forward and it could make things in the friendship relationship a bit awkward, but it seems like you are racking your brain right now not knowing. So you might just have to take that big step and ask him what are his feeling towards you and see how it turns out.

Well, you guys are a little young and not all young people are ready to get serious.

Unless or until he invites you out someplace or invites himself to your house or you to his, or takes you behind the bleachers and lays a kiss on you, you two will be just as it now, only friends.

Actions tell the true story. Talk is cheap but actions scream.

Thank you everyone for your replies. By reading your replies, it broadens my view. I haven’t thought about if he just wants me to text him because he misses the daily texts or what. I really don’t know what he thinks so it’s hard to tell what he may say next. Maybe it is better to just be his friend at this point if he doesn’t feel like he reciprocates. I also don’t want to ruin our friendship because I like playing vball with him and practicing because he’s the only friend who knows how to play vball. How can I just view him as a friend and nothing more? How can I get rid of this feeling?

Also @Billie28 can you explain what you mean by “in the future, when you are interested in someone, let a friend be that support”?

It means that if you are romantically interested in someone and they have recently split from someone , you should never ever discuss their breakup with them. They have friends for that “support”.

You can remain friendly but you do not engage in anymore physical activities or chats than you did when he was in a relationship.

He will not look at you or another female romantically until he is over his break up (3-6 months at least) and anygirl he allows in to fill the void in his life once he became single will NOT be someone he will be romantically interested in once ready to date again. In fact that person will simply be discarded.

You need to step away from being a “supportive” friend because at the end of the day , you aren’t supporting him as a friend. Your agenda is to date him. Only.

Also, I’m reading back by what I meant by “supporting” I wasnt supporting him to break up with her. I’m not the type of person to be like “oh yeah, break up you’re not meant to be” type of person just for my own self to get with him. When I said support, I meant as in I supported him emotionally when he wasnt feeling well. When he wanted to rant I listened and showed that I cared.

But you cared selfishly.

You should have cut those conversations short and not respond in a way that invites him to talk more.

You could have suggested he talk to a friend or family member if he needs someone to listen and someone that actually knows him well. You are not in his support system.

He simply ranted to you.

Yeah, don't be that shoulder to cry on for him. If he's just out of a break up, it's not a good place to be if you're looking for something more. He might be open to a relationship if you were forward enough to tell him how you feel... but you'll only end up getting hurt because rebounds are a very real thing.

Let him recover... but don't wait around for him. Focus on your own goals and see how you feel about things further down the line. The most important thing you need to shed is this fear that he won't notice you or that someone else will step in and you'll miss your chance. That could happen but realistically, you'll be a more attractive version of yourself if you shed the needy aspect of where you are now - believe me, I know how hard that is. It's always easier said than done but unfortunately it's the truth and the only real way of giving yourself the best chance at getting the outcome you want.

You may even discover that by focusing on other things and refinding your natural 'joie de vivre', someone you don't even know exists could be drawn to you and you could find something even better. It happens! Our own feelings can often blind us to everything else going on around us when we become fixed on one thing. Best of luck

So I think I have been catching feels for this guy I met... I try not to expect anything but its very hard. So straight to the point, I like him but I don’t know if he likes me back. We basically text everyday and almost talk everyday (but only in games... not legit call each other sadly). We see each other once a week and everytime I do see him, sometimes he glances at me and does talk to me. Right now my title to him is ... friend... or best friend. The thing is, he also tells me that some certain girls are cute while we talk in game and all I say is “oh okay” because what else am I supposed to say?? It’s so hard 😭 maybe he’s trying to get me jealous orrrrrr he really just says it just because. He’s a bit shorter than me and idk if he likes girls a bit taller than him... also, it’s really hard to tell who he actually likes and who he just likes as a friend only because he had a lot of girl and guy friends. Also recently his ex girlfriend unblocked him and now they’re friends again on social media and like/comment on each other’s posts sometimes. Which I mean, there’s obviously nothing wrong with that... but I’m just scared because he might actually want to get back with her..what are your guy’s thoughts on this?

Now is a good time to understand the difference between someone liking you, and someone being attracted to you. He obviously like you. The question now is, is he attracted to you. Unless he flirts or asks you out, it's unlikely he's attracted to you. Doesn't mean he finds you unattractive, it means he's not romantically interested. Subtle and important distinction.

If he doesn't flirt or ask you out, you can try initiating. That comes with the risk of rejection and some awkwardness.

Archived