Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Wiring of a light fixture.

purplepaisley

There is one fully exposed wire in this light fixture and that existed in the old fixture. Many wires have this rubber coating, as we know. There is one wire that is not covered and fully exposed. It has a red or copper tone to it. I have determined that this is the ground wire and does not require any rubber coverage. Can someone explain? Present a good link?

There is one fully exposed wire in this light fixture and that existed in the old fixture. Many wires have this rubber coating, as we know. There is one wire that is not covered and fully exposed. It has a red or copper tone to it. I have determined that this is the ground wire and does not require any rubber coverage. Can someone explain? Present a good link?

I can have my husband try and explain when we get home.

That would be awesome. There were three wires. Black, white, and uncovered. All three of these came out of the wall, and all three of these existed on the old fixture, and also existed on the new fixture. That exposed wire is rather alarming...for a layman. I'd like more knowledge. I installed and wired my garbage disposal many years ago (that thing is heavy) successfully - they don't come with a plug - who knew? I don't recall this third, exposed wire.

Google research -- "Your new light fixture will have a ground wire (green coated or bare copper)." I shut down the power...just the hall. I think I installed correctly, and I think this wire (all the wires are) is perfectly fine, and no worries, but I'm not an electrician, so I'm going to get someone out here. Thank you for taking the time to offer advice...DIY doesn't always work, but we try.

Ex

Google research -- "Your new light fixture will have a ground wire (green coated or bare copper)." I shut down the power...just the hall. I think I installed correctly, and I think this wire (all the wires are) is perfectly fine, and no worries, but I'm not an electrician, so I'm going to get someone out here. Thank you for taking the time to offer advice...DIY doesn't always work, but we try.

Exactly. My husband learns by doing as I do unfortunately not always by reading about an issue. We need to “ see it. “ sorry we couldn’t be more help.

Having done a lot of wiring in my house over the years, not to mention the work related electrical work (i.e. opening a panel to take a look); it is usually the standard to be bare. The idea from my recollection is that if something happens a short will go to ground rather than cause damage.

Archived