Hubby to recommission?

My husband was an Army Officer ( logistics and artillery) for about 16 years when he was young.( he was a non com for 6 years before he CFR’d. 11 years ago he resigned his commission and joined the Regular Force ( Air Force) as an avionics systems technician. 3 years ago they made him an instructor and 2 years ago they sent him to standards to write and administer exams.

Today a TDO ( training and development officer) approached him and said they would like to see him become a TDO. He could better serve the military as an officer. He has 10 more years to serve in the military. ( his contract is until 60). It would mean a better pension.

I am a little nervous as he struggled a lot as an officer last time and struggled a lot with his mental health at the time. Now of course he is almost 50 and not 22 becoming an officer. His anxiety is controlled and as a mature man he has a lot more confidence.

I'd argue that a lot has changed in 25 years and it would be much less stressful now on the officer side. That's only my opinion however as I never commissioned.

For sure especially in the Air Force , not so sure Army has changed but Air Force is less stifling.

Are you worried about him not being able to carry it through, be demoted and be back to less than where he started? Is there a time limit on an answer? can he pursue this in the last few years before retirement or is it now or never?

Well, he will never be less than when he started or demoted. I am afraid he will get overwhelmed again. At this point in his life though his mental health is excellent and he is much less inclined to fall apart but it is in the back of my mind.

How does he feel about this? Is he interested in becoming a TDO?

At any rate, he should feel flattered that they approached him for this position, as it means that he's highly thought of.

Absolutely, he is interested.

He is highly intelligent and meticulous about work. He is exactly what they need. Right now 10 years out from retirement he is planning and it gives a higher rate of pay and a higher rate of pension. An officer’s pension starts at 75% of your pay. NCM tops out at 72%. The greater pay rate will make up for the fact he will no longer get spec pay. Upon completion of his course he will be made a Captain.

Although re-joining the officer wife crowd makes me roll my eyes .

He decided he is going to tell them yes. It is not often that they come to you . He might have to take a teaching course at the local college and then do his officer board in November. His trade courses are done 3 hours away. His course is 5 months long.

His pay rate will go up slightly because they have to move him to a pay incentive which isn’t lower than his current pay as he already makes more than a basic Captain.

I'm glad that he came to a decision, as it seems that he's made it thoughtfully and carefully. Will you have to move, or can you stay where you are?

My bet is we have to move, but not until he is done training. Most likely they would have moved us in a year anyway. We have had a super long posting here we have been here nine years this summer , July 15. And he arrived six months before us . So he was here nine years in January and my son and I got here in July .

As long as we stay in Ontario it should be OK . We can still see family and my son will still get his disability . I will have to restart my business in the new place but that’s what a military spouse does all the time .

My bet is we have to move, but not until he is done training. Most likely they would have moved us in a year anyway. We have had a super long posting here we have been here nine years this summer , July 15. And he arrived six months before us . So he was here nine years in January and my son and I got here in July .

As long as we stay in Ontario it should be OK . We can still see family and my son will still get his disability . I will have to restart my business in the new place but that’s what a military spouse does all the time .

Well you are an exemplary military spouse, and your son and husband, as well as your entire country, appreciate your service and your willingness to compromise with your husband on his new adventure!

You know Seraphim, you've been posting here a long time. This issue is obviously major for your family, but you're showing an enormous amount of maturity, sincerity, and desire to do what's best by your family. We read so much here that someone didn't text someone back, their world is falling apart, how can they move on. When what you're facing is a true issue. You're showing, with your discussion and your attention to this matter, what it takes to make a real, lasting marriage and family work.

You know Seraphim, you've been posting here a long time. This issue is obviously major for your family, but you're showing an enormous amount of maturity, sincerity, and desire to do what's best by your family. We read so much here that someone didn't text someone back, their world is falling apart, how can they move on. When what you're facing is a true issue. You're showing, with your discussion and your attention to this matter, what it takes to make a real, lasting marriage and family work.

That’s the thing we do what is good for the unit not just ourselves. Him advancing himself helps everyone. It cements our future. Plus I was in the military too. I “ get it “ and him.

• 3 weeks later...

So hubby’s interview with the PSO went really really well. He has a degree of course, he has experience and his aptitude test from his 20’s put’s him in the top third of applicants. Your aptitude test in 60% of the judgement process and the other approximately 40% is how you sell yourself at your officer board. They also want him to re-write the personality test because his last personality test was 26 years ago. But we should know sometime next year or late this year if he’s accepted.

Congratulations ~Seraphim~ and thank you for your husband's service and both of your sacrifices.

I think it's a great opportunity for him, he is very self confident and this also means a greater retirement pension.

I'll think of you with the ladies at the officer wives' tea. :p

Archived