Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hubby to recommission?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

Hubby to recommission?

My husband was an Army Officer ( logistics and artillery) for about 16 years when he was young.( he was a non com for 6 years before he CFR’d. 11 years ago he resigned his commission and joined the Regular Force ( Air Force) as an avionics systems technician. 3 years ago they made him an instructor and 2 years ago they sent him to standards to write and administer exams.

Today a TDO ( training and development officer) approached him and said they would like to see him become a TDO. He could better serve the military as an officer. He has 10 more years to serve in the military. ( his contract is until 60). It would mean a better pension.

I am a little nervous as he struggled a lot as an officer last time and struggled a lot with his mental health at the time. Now of course he is almost 50 and not 22 becoming an officer. His anxiety is controlled and as a mature man he has a lot more confidence.

Gold Member
    I'd argue that a lot has changed in 25 years and it would be much less stressful now on the officer side. That's only my opinion however as I never commissioned.

Silver Member
    Is this going to affect his posting? Will he have to relocate or can he stay where he is? I know that is an important issue.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by arjumand
    Is this going to affect his posting? Will he have to relocate or can he stay where he is? I know that is an important issue.
    Probably we would. But 50% of TDO’s are in Ontario. Most likely he would go to NDHQ in Ottawa.

Originally Posted by Nickel Speed
    I'd argue that a lot has changed in 25 years and it would be much less stressful now on the officer side. That's only my opinion however as I never commissioned.
    For sure especially in the Air Force , not so sure Army has changed but Air Force is less stifling.

Platinum Member
    Are you worried about him not being able to carry it through, be demoted and be back to less than where he started? Is there a time limit on an answer? can he pursue this in the last few years before retirement or is it now or never?

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Are you worried about him not being able to carry it through, be demoted and be back to less than where he started? Is there a time limit on an answer? can he pursue this in the last few years before retirement or is it now or never?
    Well, he will never be less than when he started or demoted. I am afraid he will get overwhelmed again. At this point in his life though his mental health is excellent and he is much less inclined to fall apart but it is in the back of my mind.

He would have to go away for his course . Thankfully he has done parts of it when he was an officer before. Unfortunately, this leaves me in full care for the household and my business and my son. I may have to hire once a week cleaning help while he is away.

Platinum Member
    How does he feel about this? Is he interested in becoming a TDO?

At any rate, he should feel flattered that they approached him for this position, as it means that he's highly thought of.

Originally Posted by LHGirl
    How does he feel about this? Is he interested in becoming a TDO?

At any rate, he should feel flattered that they approached him for this position, as it means that he's highly thought of.
    Absolutely, he is interested.

He is highly intelligent and meticulous about work. He is exactly what they need. Right now 10 years out from retirement he is planning and it gives a higher rate of pay and a higher rate of pension. An officer’s pension starts at 75% of your pay. NCM tops out at 72%. The greater pay rate will make up for the fact he will no longer get spec pay. Upon completion of his course he will be made a Captain.

Although re-joining the officer wife crowd makes me roll my eyes .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice