LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single parents dating

Single parents dating

I met this guy online, we both are looking for a relationship, exchanged long, meaningful emails, met 1.5 months ago in person and heat it off.
    He is a single father of 2 young kids 5 & 8, (no ex around). Works a lot, travels for work. After our first meeting we planned to meet up but he kept being busy and cancelled, then traveled, kept being busy with work, kids, etc. After a month of texting back and forth and flirting with each other he phoned me one night that he wanted to sneak a kiss as he was in my neighborhood and I agreed. I saw him for 1 hour in his car and we kissed. He tells me he's into me, that he wants more. We have great chemistry and he explained and apologized for how busy heís been, he said he wants to see me at appropriate hours and get to know me, and thanked me for being patient and understanding. He said I definitely want to see you next week. We have been texting every day as usual. Problem is I feel like he is stringing me along, who goes online dating if there really is not time to date?
    I would like to add that I am a single parent my self, he is 43 I am 38, so I understand how being the only person for your kids is. However, knowing that makes me feel like he is just not that into me since he canít really find time to see me, while I can.

Platinum Member
    Hmm. I guess I am skeptical but I do wonder if he is still married.

Otherwise, you might try to keep the texting to a minimum in between dates, so you still have stuff to talk about. And tell him that is what you are doing.

I don't feel he's being very honest with you. I'm surprised that you've continued to text or keep in touch. Raise the bar a little.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Afireblue
    After a month of texting back and forth and flirting with each other he phoned me one night that he wanted to sneak a kiss as he was in my neighborhood and I agreed. I saw him for 1 hour in his car and we kissed.
    The only way you'll know for sure is to never ever again what you did right there ^^^^.

He calls you to "sneak a kiss", and you said.......yes. You went along with it. What incentive are you giving him to see you during regular hours?

He now knows he can call you at the last minute, and you'll sneak into his car and make out for an hour. Which.....eeeww. This isn't high school. You are grown adults, parent of kids.

Next time he wants to "sneak a kiss", you say, "No, but I'd love to see you for an evening....I'm still up for that movie we talked about!" Say it enthusiastically, and see what he does from there. If he hems and haws and says he has to get back to you, then you, my friend, need to Next him so fast.

Thank you! In my gut I knew this.

I have texted him it's OVER I need to move on

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Afireblue
    Thank you! In my gut I knew this.

I have texted him it's OVER I need to move on
    OK, not quite the hair-trigger response I was alluding to in my post #4, but it's done now. Now, there will be no way to know if he's simply busy, or whatever.

My guess is he's married or has a steady gf. There's no other valid reason for the strange hours he wants to keep with you. I hope you stick with keeping him blocked, he's bad news.

This is what I texted:

I promised I wouldn't go mute on you.
    These past few months of exchanging messages with you were very nice.
    A little scary for me at times because after a long time I was able to imagine me opening myself to someone slowly. Maybe I saw something that wasnt there... who knows...regardless, I guess I want to thank you for that. I am a super patient person and I wanted to be understanding of a fellow single parent. However, there doesn't seem to be room for me in your life and that's cool. I wish I could have told you this in person but we don't always get what we want. All the the best .

He responded this:

I appreciate the honesty and you being direct. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good bye. Take care.

Platinum Member
    You didn't need to say all that, he's a stranger. I would have just said 'Something seems off about all this, I'm not interested in proceeding on. Best of luck.'

That's enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice