Morning rush of anxiety

For a while now, when I wake up in the morning, I get this powerful rush of panicked anxiety. It surges through my whole body, and for a moment, I think I'm about to have a panic attack. I'm able to calm myself down but feel jittery after effects for a bit. This usually happens on Mondays, so I thought it was related to going to work, but it happened this morning, and I have the day off. From what I can tell, the anxiety doesn't seem related to anything specific.

Does anyone else experience this? It's kind of awful, and I'm trying to figure it out, so I can get it to stop.

For a while now, when I wake up in the morning, I get this powerful rush of panicked anxiety. It surges through my whole body, and for a moment, I think I'm about to have a panic attack. I'm able to calm myself down but feel jittery after effects for a bit. This usually happens on Mondays, so I thought it was related to going to work, but it happened this morning, and I have the day off. From what I can tell, the anxiety doesn't seem related to anything specific.

Does anyone else experience this? It's kind of awful, and I'm trying to figure it out, so I can get it to stop.

Yep... not sure how old you are and you don't have to say, but I experience this as part of peri-menopause. It doesn't happen every night but if it does it usually happens between 4-5am. Such a yucky feeling!

I get this sometimes usually in the middle of the night and it wakes me up. I used to be like this 24/7 when I had my breakdown. Now I use something that has done more for me than anything even medication . However, it is not legal in most places.

Have you tried grounding exercises?

I've experienced this several times before work. In my case I think it's mostly work that causes this, but it can be for other reasons. Sometimes I have lots of anxiety without knowing the trigger/reason for it.

I don't have a recipe of what works because I haven't found a definite solution yet, but for me it helps breathing slowly through my nose and focus on my breathing when I'm able to catch myself in the beginning of the anxiety attack.

I don't take medication but I know that many people need so and it helps, also because many people have very strong panic attacks to the point that it paralyses them. I'd see a doctor if it's the case to try and find out what's going on and what works better for you.

Yep... not sure how old you are and you don't have to say, but I experience this as part of peri-menopause. It doesn't happen every night but if it does it usually happens between 4-5am. Such a yucky feeling!

Interesting. I read up on this after seeing your comment, and I think it's a definite possibility.

Thanks for the comments, everyone; I appreciate the ideas.

I see a therapist, and I have a generalized anxiety disorder, but it's never manifested itself in this way before - never panic attacks or rushes of anxiety - just a slow burn of constantly worrying about any- and everything. The more I think about it, I wonder if it's hormonal changes wreaking some havoc.

I've also been more than a little depressed lately, which probably isn't helping things. The good news is that it doesn't happen often - maybe about once a week - and it's fairly easy to calm myself down again, but ugh, it isn't fun.

Archived