Hi everyone!

I'm FRR (FlamingRedRose), but you can just refer to me as Rose. :)

Anyways, the reason I am posting this is to get some advice: Recently I've been staying up WAYYY too long than normal.. I once stayed for 24 Hours STRAIGHT, if I get the chance to sleep, my sleep only ranges from 4-6 Hours....

This is greatly affecting me and my last year of school... I don't know what to do to go to sleep in time..

I even drank 4 tables of calming nerves medicine that is also used for insomniacs to sleep (it's safe to use), but it didn't work on me AT ALL...

Any advice on what I should do?

I don't feel any stress or anything... So I don't know... :/

I often have sleep issues and my daughter is a reg'd massage therapist who uses a lot of essential oils in her clinic so I asked her advice. She said get some lavender essential oil and put some on the bottom of your feet at bedtime and it'll help you sleep. Well, this actually works, so you might want to try it!

Melatonin and warm milk also are sleep aids.

Avoid caffeine for at least 6 hrs before bed. Avoid alcohol and drugs. Get up earlier. Exercise and see a doctor to rule out physiologic, mood or other disorders. Do bipolar or thyroid disorders run in your family?

Make sure you have good sleep hygiene. Cool, dark, quiet comfortable bedroom, calming relaxing evening routines, no heavy meals 4 hrs before bed, etc.

I once stayed for 24 Hours STRAIGHT, if I get the chance to sleep, my sleep only ranges from 4-6 Hours....
I often have sleep issues and my daughter is a reg'd massage therapist who uses a lot of essential oils in her clinic so I asked her advice. She said get some lavender essential oil and put some on the bottom of your feet at bedtime and it'll help you sleep. Well, this actually works, so you might want to try it!

Melatonin and warm milk also are sleep aids.

Thanks, I'll try that!!

Avoid caffeine for at least 6 hrs before bed. Avoid alcohol and drugs. Get up earlier. Exercise and see a doctor to rule out physiologic, mood or other disorders. Do bipolar or thyroid disorders run in your family?

Make sure you have good sleep hygiene. Cool, dark, quiet comfortable bedroom, calming relaxing evening routines, no heavy meals 4 hrs before bed, etc.

I don't drink any coffee, I've never done any drugs, I can't drink alcohol because I feel terrible afterwards.

I'm exercising, and those problems do not run in my family and I don't have those problems.

I don't eat too heavy meals for dinner.

How am I suppose to have good sleep hygiene if I can't sleep until the morning???

I have had insomnia intermittently throughout my life. I've had a multiple year stretch now where it's extremely rare. I've done many many things (non-medicinal) preventatively and then when I can't sleep. Almost too many to list. I also have taken meds -meaning the typical sleep meds (low dose never for long periods of time) at certain times in my life but once I had a young child I didn't feel comfortable taking those so that I could be alert if he woke up, etc -so that was never more than a very short term solution (pre-kids I also took them rarely, just not a meds person). I did start taking a magnesium supplement a few years ago for digestive reasons but it's also supposed to be calming (my sleep issues that I resolved predated this by a couple of years so it's not "just" the supplement).

One thing I do is 4-7-8 breathing Weil method. Google it. I also try to "practice" it even when I don't need it for sleeping issues/related issues.

Good luck and certainly ask your doctor and do some research in reputable medical sites. Mayo Clinic for example.

I have a similar problem to you and has had problems sleeping for many years so I'm curious to read the answers in this thread.

Something that has helped me a bit was taking melatonin pills. I don't know if you have access where you live

In my home country you can get without prescription but where I live now you need prescription. It helps regulating your sleep and sleeping faster and better.

Good sleeping hygiene seems to help too such as no screens or devices at least 1h before sleeping or if not possible install apps that turn off the blue light in your screens (I use twilight on my cellphone for example) and waking up always at the same time if possible. And exercise frequently.

I have trouble following my own advice on sleeping but I think it helps.

I've had bad insomnia for coming up to 20 years. God knows I know all about it. In my case - I had to go on prescription meds to cope and am still on them/will be on them for the rest of my life. And if one more person tells me to try melatonin or warm milk (BLEUGHHGHG) before bed I'll scream!

You can try the heart coherence exercise. You can google it as well. The best trick is to have a clock in your bedroom that make sounds every second so you don't need to use your phone or any other devices that could prevent you to sleep.

You breath in 5 seconds (at the same rate as the clock) and you breath out 5 seconds. The best is to do it 5 minutes. You can make it longer or shorter.

The 10 seconds of breathing in and out are there to align your heart beat to your brain pulsation. It's an exercise you need to do everyday and you can do it multiple times a day. I started doing it and i fall asleep very quick.

Before you throw any type of substances at it, try a more natural healthy approach by revising lifestyle and habits. It's always better to get at the root causes as well as making lifestyle changes before throwing stuff at it and retaining the bad habits and whatever other contributing underlying causes there are.

This way you solve problems rather than let them march on and just mask symptoms. Insomnia is rather ubiquitous, so it could be due to just about anything. Why not try therapy to investigate some possible causes?

How am I suppose to have good sleep hygiene if I can't sleep until the morning???

Melatonin is a natural substance your body creates, which aids your sleep cycles and promotes deeper REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. The REM cycle of sleep is most restorative to the body and most difficult for light sleepers to achieve. I opted to take a melatonin supplement in the evenings during my most stressful period of insomnia, and it did help me sleep longer and better throughout the night. It's not a drug, and it doesn't need to be used once your body adjusts to regular sleep cycles.

I have friend who takes small doses of melatonin and she swears it knocks her out and she sleeps like a rock.

Me - nothing.

I've tried CBD oil and though I can feel it have a calming effect, I can doze off but I don't stay asleep.

Everyone's chemistry is different.

I take a Xanax for sleep. I break it half, though. There are times I wake up in the middle of the night and take the other half. But not often.

My new dr was hesitant to give it to me but when I told him I'd be his liability if I dozed off while commuting for 90 mins in the morning, he grabbed his prescription pad.

Interestingly enough, if I am not working for a few days, I sleep fine. I am pretty sure it has to do with sleep anxiety that comes with knowing I have to fall asleep and be up at certain time, or I am toast. I don't often have the luxury of falling asleep when my body needs it and waking up when I am rested.

Reinventmyself, isn't it funny how so many of us think of it as a luxury to sleep when our bodies need it and wake up when we are rested. ! I think for a lot of people, we are overworked and get to a point where we are chronically sleep deprived.

I agree with wiseman that the first thing is to see your doc, and then start working the long list of tools available for getting on a healthier sleep schedule. Sometimes x will work, sometimes xyz, sometimes a. Also it's much easier to treat once you understand the root for you of your sleep issues.

You mentioned last year of school. Do you think that may be contributing at all?

I try every single method people suggest. Sometimes they work. Usually they don't.

I have extreme job anxiety that is so powerful it can bust right through melatonin, Z-Quil, aromatherapy sprays, ambient sounds, anything. I know that solving the anxiety issue would solve the sleep issue.

OP, is there anything you have on your mind that could be interfering with your ability to sleep?

Reinventmyself, isn't it funny how so many of us think of it as a luxury to sleep when our bodies need it and wake up when we are rested. ! I think for a lot of people, we are overworked and get to a point where we are chronically sleep deprived.

I agree with wiseman that the first thing is to see your doc, and then start working the long list of tools available for getting on a healthier sleep schedule. Sometimes x will work, sometimes xyz, sometimes a. Also it's much easier to treat once you understand the root for you of your sleep issues.

You mentioned last year of school. Do you think that may be contributing at all?

No, I don't feel any stress or anything, I feel just like any other day, but maybe my brain is not allowing me to feel stress?

I usually have anxiety in big crowds, but over the years, I've managed to get it under control and fix it, so this doesn't make any sense.

I try every single method people suggest. Sometimes they work. Usually they don't.

I have extreme job anxiety that is so powerful it can bust right through melatonin, Z-Quil, aromatherapy sprays, ambient sounds, anything. I know that solving the anxiety issue would solve the sleep issue.

OP, is there anything you have on your mind that could be interfering with your ability to sleep?

Well, there is this thought of my classmate that I hate and they hate me, I keep thinking of combacks to their remarks.

Basically standing up to a bully.

I once got into a fight with one of my other classmates (she started it, but I won, I was tougher than her. LOL), so since then I keep my guard up near them just in case they try anything stupid. Sure, I might be alone in a fight with 3-5 girls, but I'm sure that I can take care of myself and if anything, I can go straight to the police in case things go out of hand, just saying.

But other than that, nothing.

I thought about this before, but it NEVER ended up making me sleep deprived...so I don't know.. :/

• 2 weeks later...

FRR, I also have trouble falling and staying asleep and I have to say the 5mg of Melatonin has made a big difference in my sleep patterns. It has helped me fall asleep quicker and also get longer deeper sleep throughout the night. It is also a natural tablet. One other thing I have heard that helps is if you set a bed time and stick to that time each night and then have a wake up time in the morning without hitting the snooze alarm you will after time set a good sleep pattern in your life cycle.

I quit caffeine and I put myself on a strict schedule. I awake early, exercise, eat well, diet constantly, lost 30 pounds and no more late nights. It requires a lot of self discipline. Also, go to the doctor. Get a blood test. Sometimes there's something wrong with your health so get that checked out. You have to be selfish in a positive way when it comes to your health. Take good care of yourself because no one will do it for you.

Agree. Lifestyle changes and a good workup is the first line of defense rather than throwing any OTC, prescription, alternative remedies, street drugs or legal substances at it. These all mask symptoms and do not promote permanent lifestyle changes that result in the resolution of problems. Yet most people would rather grab some stuff from the health food store or pharmacy before putting the effort in to really fix the underlying problems.... because it's easier.

I awake early, exercise, eat well, diet constantly, lost 30 pounds and no more late nights. It requires a lot of self discipline. Also, go to the doctor. Get a blood test. Sometimes there's something wrong with your health so get that checked out.

Archived